1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The incompetence of Carrol Dawson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by El Hitman, Jul 13, 2010.

1. El Hitman

El Hitman Member

So I was thinking about all this Lebron talk, and I started thinking about all the scrubs the Cavs put around him in the beginning of his career. I am in no way trying to defend him, cause I really never liked him. BUT, I mean he had Eric Snow, Donyell Marshall, Damon Jones, Sasha Pavlovic, on his team some of those years. Some of those guys have gone into NBA obscurity or retired. My point is...that it reminds me a lot about our teams back in the beginning of T-Mac's career. He had guys like Rick Brunson, Clarence (Grimace) Weatherspoon?!?!?!, David Wesley, Ryan Bowen?!?! Maceij Lampe??? Who the hell are these guys? Why does everybody knock the Cavs ownership, and we decide to turn the blind eye on our own teams miscues. Remember when DA came to play for us? It was supposed to be a big SPLASH. OMFG. I'm not referring to The Morey Era cause it's been awesome, or when Yao got injured, or when Mac got injured. But the time before that, the Rockets brass wasted the first couple of years of our 1-2 punch of Yao and Mac on stupid signings (Bonzi,Strickland??? That guy was around when I was in 3d grade!). Blame Carrol Dawson I guess. I guess what I'm trying to say is...we should all be glad that Alexander finally wised up to C.D's incompetence and hired the wizard we now call Morey. Our team is young and has a lot of potential...we should embrace what we have and be glad the days of Rybo, Wesley and Co. are gone. GO ROCKETS!!!

2. crocktees

crocktees Member

Yeah he was part of the front office that won 2 rings, then as GM orchestrated the Steve Franchise coup, got McGrady in the biggest trade in years, and built the core of the current Rockets squad. Oh, and not to mention helped create the play book on how to make CBA players contributors in the NBA.

I agree, Dawson was the worst GM ever... :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  3. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is going to be good...

1 person likes this.
  4. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

CD didn't have much to work with considering that his two main guys were always down and out. I'm pretty certain Morey would have done a better job putting together a competent supporting cast, but that doesn't mean that Dawson was a bad GM. Morey is just better.

Dawson did a good job realizing how good Dream was and deciding to place shooters all around the court to make teams pay for cheating on defense. However, most of the credit must go to Hakeem for those championships, not the front office.

5. djimi

djimi Member

why bring back the past? does it bring any benefit now? i agree CD did screw up on quite a number of times but he also did some good. you make it sound like he caused the team to go 10-72. and some of those names which you threw like Clarence Weatherspoon/Rick Brunson/Wesley was actually what JVG wanted. don't forget Charlie Ward etc. CD was'nt the best GM we had but its the past let's just appreciate we now have DM as our GM.

and mind you, Cavs did add some good players later on like Mo, Jamison, Shaq but did he not quit on his team in the end?

sorry but this is a bad thread

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He also gave a r****ded contract to Kelvin Cato after he blocked 7 shots in a preseason game.

7. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

It makes no difference, but I thought it was 10 blocks?

8. devilsdandruff

and 3 drafts for Eddie Griffin. rip*

9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

He orchestrated the best trade the Rockets ever conducted -- trading Steve Francis for Tracy McGrady.

He is awesome.

CD should be immune to all criticism from that trade onwards. Will you fault Pat Riley for signing Rafer Alston now he got the best 3 ever in on his franchise?

10. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Must be a slow day for fighting crime and exploiting nasty skanks.

1 person likes this.
  11. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Morey>CD
    CD>80% of NBA GM's
    99% of NBA GM's>you
    you=idiot

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

To me, the T-Mac trade is like a 70 yard pass down to the opposing 1 yard line. You're celebrating, you know you're in prime position to score, you know all you need is just a little push and you're in the end zone, only to get stuffed 4 times at the 1 yard line because you lack a running game(the ability to find role players).

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I'm guessg alcohol played a role in the creation of this thread

14. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Yes and in that trade you gave up a star an alstar and a starter for TMac a superstar, Howard who just recieved a bad contract that handicp you for 4 years and Reece Gaines.

15. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

What team did Strickland play for last year????

1 person likes this.
  16. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

o yea I share the same sentiment, I sometimes reflect back on the Caroll Dawson era and think man he made some terrible roster signings.. Carlos Rogers? Mo Taylor? who was that one white guy from the Clippers that had a good jump shot and was supposed to be a huge signing? Dawson did decent in the 90's but when the 2000s came around and became a bad GM IMO, makes u appreciate and value these days that much more

17. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

hes an assistant coach

18. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

at least spell his name right you ungrateful idiot.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey, maybe we should sign Tmac, what do you guys think?

NOT !

DD

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

assistant coach on the b2b titles