1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The impact of an elite big. Case in point--> Roy Hibbert.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jun 2, 2013.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I find it odd how many Clutchfans are against the acquisition of Howard. They complain about his lack of post game or that he can't make up his mind in regards to picking a team to play for. I would agree that he isn't the ideal center but in this day and age he is by far the best big man in the NBA.

We can now see the impact of an elite big by the way Indiana's Hibbert is playing. A rim protector, to go along with the occasional points on the block is such a tremendous advantage for indiana that they might beat Miami. If you took Hibbert out of this series Miami would probably have swept indiana. He is such a force on the inside that the best player in the league is having trouble attacking the basket.

Considering how much of an impact Hibbert is having on this series just goes to show you that big men can still contribute in the modern era. Many are quick to point to the league changing to a perimeter style offense and big men will become obsolete. This is an absurd notion. One only has to look back a few years when the dominance of Gasol and Bynum inside won them back to back championships. Big men might not be as vital as they were 20 years ago, however if you have an elite big such as Howard you have an immediate advantage over every team in the NBA.

So all in all do not listen to the critics or fans who keep yapping about how Howard has no offensive game. We all know he isn't Olajuwon on the low block, but we can safely say that if healthy he is the best center in the NBA, and by far the best defender in the league. A guy like Howard cleaning up the glass and protecting the rim will do wonders for our inferior defense. If you still have doubts, just watch what Hibbert has been able to do in this series against Miami.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Hibbert is developing a nice offensive game, though.

As evidenced by "BBQ chicken! Jump hook'em to death!"

Granted, he's playing against a Miami frontline that can't defend him well. But he schooled Tyson Chandler in the Knicks series.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You can't get any more small ball elite than Miami and they might crumble. That system doesn't work and unfortunately is what we are doing.
    You gots to have a killer front court. Will stop here before b****es complain

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hibbert isn't an "elite" C. He's a 12/8 guy over an 82-game regular season. But against Miami, the guy is a monster because they can't defender Cs that have offensive ability.

5. roksoer

roksoer Member

He has elite potential.
    On defense he does almost exactly what Asik does with a bit more shotblocking, he's just a huge presence in the lane and does a great job of contesting drives by jumping straight up without fouling, something Asik does just as well. I haven't seen Howard do that though, admittedly I haven't watched many of his games though.

6. VBG

VBG Member

Hibbert has been really patient in the paint. It's been really impressive. Everyone is criticizing the Heat but it's actually Hibbert who is playing really smart and really hard.

7. Major

Major Member

It seems to be a bit of an overreaction to say that system doesn't work. Miami made two NBA Finals, won one, had the best record in the league this year, and is tied 3-3 in the ECF with that system, despite two of their three stars being total no-shows.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For the sake of discussion, what do you think Hibbert's "elite" potential is?

9. hlcc

hlcc Member

While I don't think he's elite, he's better than his 12/8 average this season. For the first half of the season, he was shooting much worse than his career average and basically missing all kind of his usual shots. Since the ASG, if I remember correctly he got out of his offensive funk and his stats improved to almost 17/9

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Roy Hibbert is a great player. He is not an elite player. 1 great playoff series does not make an elite player.

11. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I never said he is an elite player. That wasn't even the point of the discussion. I do think he is playing at an elite level this series which goes back to my initial point that having an elite big has a huge impact on the game.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He did finish up strong, but 12/8 seems to be his level after 5 years. I have doubts Hibbert can average 17/9 over an entire season since he's never come close to doing it after 5 years. If he does, Pacers could compete with the Heat next year for #1 seed.

13. VBG

VBG Member

Asik really should watch Hibbert's patience while finishing around the rim.

14. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

You can run an offense the last 5 minutes thru Hibbert. His FT is not a liability where as Howard could cost you in crunch time. Don't get it twisted tho from what my eyes tell me Hibbert is more skilled offensively than Howard.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Hook shot in the paint is the most unguardable elite skill you can get for a big dog. Everything else Asik has him, maybe

16. hlcc

hlcc Member

the guy is still improving every year. if i remember correctly, he came into the league quite raw and weak physically. centers tend to peak a lot later, so he still have room for improvement.
    Considering last year he basically averaged very close to 13 & 9, and his performance since the ASG, I can picture him putting up 15&9 next season.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Uh what? Hibbert and Howard are basically polar opposites, Hibbert's more like Marc Gasol/Bynum/Bogut, these guys are land bound players who rely on their skills, size and fundamentals. Asik and Howard oth rely on their athletcism and have no post moves. In fact Howard's like a slightly better but twice as expensive Asik, which is why you're seeing a lot of people say Asik's worth keeping and just put the money elsewhere.

And I don't think DH is the best center in the league, not unless he gets back to full health. I don't want us to be the team that finds out what happens when a guy who relies 100% on his athletcism starts becoming injury prone.

18. NotChandlerParsons

Omers two games against Miami this year: 19/14 and 15/14. Big men with reasonably good offense/rebounding are Miamis biggest weakness. Doesnt mean they are elite.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Here are Hibbert's career stats. His scoring flatlined 4 straight years.
    Code:
    SEASON	GP	MIN	FG%	FT%	REB	BLK	PTS
    '08-'09	70	14.4	0.471	0.667	3.5	1.1	7.1
    '09-'10	81	25.1	0.495	0.754	5.7	1.6	11.7
    '10-'11	81	27.7	0.461	0.745	7.5	1.8	12.7
    '11-'12	65	29.8	0.497	0.711	8.8	2.0	12.8
    '12-'13	79	28.7	0.448	0.741	8.3	2.6	11.9
    Career	376	25.3	0.473	0.729	6.8	1.8	11.3

Pacers have a key decision to make with David West this summer. They will need more from Hibbert if West's 17/8 leave town.

20. NotChandlerParsons

And I'm not sure that Hibbert is elite (offensively, he is defensively elite no question) but he had a wrist injury early this season which made him very bad offensively. His playoff run has been promising and I will be interested to see if he does make a scoring leap next season.