1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The future of the human race: ugly/pretty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by plcmts17, Oct 27, 2007.

1. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Human race will 'split into two different species'
    By NIALL FIRTH - More by this author »

Last updated at 16:18pm on 26th October 2007

The human race will one day split into two separate species, an attractive, intelligent ruling elite and an underclass of dim-witted, ugly goblin-like creatures, according to a top scientist.

100,000 years into the future, sexual selection could mean that two distinct breeds of human will have developed.

The alarming prediction comes from evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry from the London School of Economics, who says that the human race will have reached its physical peak by the year 3000.

These humans will be between 6ft and 7ft tall and they will live up to 120 years.

"Physical features will be driven by indicators of health, youth and fertility that men and women have evolved to look for in potential mates," says the report, which suggests that advances in cosmetic surgery and other body modifying techniques will effectively homogenise our appearance.

Men will have symmetrical facial features, deeper voices and bigger penises, according to Curry in a report commissioned for men's satellite TV channel Bravo.

Women will all have glossy hair, smooth hairless skin, large eyes and pert breasts, according to Curry.

Racial differences will be a thing of the past as interbreeding produces a single coffee-coloured skin tone.

The future for our descendants isn't all long life, perfect bodies and chiselled features, however.

While humans will reach their peak in 1000 years' time, 10,000 years later our reliance on technology will have begun to dramatically change our appearance.

Medicine will weaken our immune system and we will begin to appear more child-like.

Dr Curry said: "The report suggests that the future of man will be a story of the good, the bad and the ugly.

"While science and technology have the potential to create an ideal habitat for humanity over the next millennium, there is the possibility of a monumental genetic hangover over the subsequent millennia due to an over-reliance on technology reducing our natural capacity to resist disease, or our evolved ability to get along with each other.

"After that, things could get ugly, with the possible emergence of genetic 'haves' and 'have-nots'."

Dr Curry's theory may strike a chord with readers who have read H G Wells' classic novel The Time Machine, in particular his descriptions of the Eloi and the Morlock races.

In the 1895 book, the human race has evolved into two distinct species, the highly intelligent and wealthy Eloi and the frightening, animalistic Morlock who are destined to work underground to keep the Eloi happy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=489653&in_page_id=1965

2. tulexan

tulexan Member

I saw this yesterday. Pretty funny stuff.

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Darn, why can't I live 1000 more years.

4. JustWannaChill

Yao would be an undersized center in the NBA (if it still exists at that time).

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

Sounds like a Brave New World. That reminds me, I need to finish 1984...

6. JD2010

JD2010 Member

Yahoo always pisses me off.
    How does nonsense always get on the front page?

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

They didn't predict a billion more Mickey D's; means more fatties roaming the earth...

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Maybe, maybe not.

Personally, I think something will be a dominate species 100, 000 years. At the rate, we're going I think human will face inevitable catostrophe....natural causes (Tidal Waves, Earthquake, Asteroid, Meteor, Change in Gravitational Pull, another Ice Age, or lack of enough resources), self-inflicted causes (War - Nuclear, Chemical, or something out of normal....) pollution, overpopulation, or etc. then you've got your Acts of God I figure judgement day is right around the corner, I don't think things could get much worse Maybe, alien invasion.....plague (outbreak to most of living kingdoms) ....another species from the animal kingdom rises to global prominence.

Too much speculation....too much for people to be worried about basic genetic differences over the next 100,000 years.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I guess that evolutionary theorist from the London School of Economics hasn't heard of the Technological Singularity.

At the rate we're going, we might see real AI within the next 50 years.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I can definitely see a situation where we have good looking and ugly...but I dont see a situation where you have a group that is both good looking and intelligent. That seems much more far fetched.

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

My complexion is already coffee and cream.

Yes, I rule!!!!

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HA! Nice ! :D

i dont even know if the human race will be around in 100,000 years, let alone the dominant species. Never underestimate those damned dirty apes!

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yep, the Idiocracy scenario seems more likely, where the good looking dumb people outbreed the smart people.

15. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

Or it could up like the future as foretold in Idiocracy .

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

hogwash
    hell . .will we still be earth bound then?
    I beleive in time the modifications will become more useful.
    like wings or something :D

Rocket River

17. WildSweet&Cool

Sounds also like the movie Gattaca (a great film).

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The world won't last that long.