1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The future of the EU and the UK, post-Brexit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 4, 2016.

1. malakas

malakas Member

The EU gave Johnson an ultimatum until 30 September to show in writing his proposal or it will be the end of "negotiations".

Apparently Johnson had no clue and was surprised to learn from the EU officials what kind of controls and border checks NI will require.

"“So you’re telling me the SPS plan doesn’t solve the customs problem?” He said to his advisors. :rolleyes:

Kindergarten stuff.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...prised-by-level-of-irish-border-checks-brexit

Meanwhile the NI chief of police said that if his men are to guard the borders they will be murdered.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...es-at-risk-says-northern-ireland-police-chief

Before the Good Friday agreement, it required 20000 british soldiers to guard the border and had many bloodbaths like the "bloody Sunday".

No Worries likes this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

Nook likes this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

UK doesn't need EU's permission to leave.

Just walk away and be done with them.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Now there will be bloodbaths if the UK leaves?

Plagues, locusts, the desperation is palpable.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Fixed it for you.
    The return to the normal you might say. Only without the army

6. Nook

Nook Member

That is true..... but that is the problem.

Is walking away REALLY what the UK wants?

I am thinking no.... not with so much wobbling going on.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Right? Go on and leave if it’s what you really want.

8. dmoneybangbang

If it’s that simple then what’s the hold up???

Real easy talking big...

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It’s that simple, jayzus!

My cousin Jeb, he got a lil notty with the hooch, see. Started to get ornery with his sister Loo Anne. I said, well ****, I’m not your dad, just yer uncle, so if you want it, do it and git er done!

That’s leadership we need in these p***y cuckold woke days!

Git er done snowflakes!

::spits::

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Jean Claude Junker has announced today that "I think we can have a deal" by October 31 and that "Brexit will happen".

Juncker on Brexit: ‘We can have a deal’

"We can have a deal" on Brexit, according to Jean-Claude Juncker. The European Commission president told Sky News that he was doing "everything to get a deal" as he believed a no-deal Brexit would have "catastrophic consequences."

"I had a meeting with Boris Johnson that was rather positive," Juncker said of their talks in Luxembourg, just before the now-infamous press conference in which Johnson didn't take to the podium alongside Luxembourg Prime Minister Xavier Bettel.

"I think we can have a deal. I am doing everything to have a deal because I don't like the idea of a no-deal because I think this would have catastrophic consequences for at least one year," Juncker said in an interview segment released Thursday. "We are prepared for no deal, and I hope Britain is prepared as well — but I'm not so sure."

Asked if that meant that the backstop could be removed, he said: "If the objectives are met — all of them — then we don't need the backstop. It was a guarantee, not an aim by itself."​

This sounds like a possible breakthrough. Very promising. I hope they get it done.

11. malakas

malakas Member

The Supreme Court verdict will come out early next week.

It seems extremely likely that they will find the proroguation unlawful. Probably around 8-3.

Even the government's barristers seemed to give up and spent the last day basically arguing what the court's remedy should be.

The court proceedings made it so that the Supreme Court basically has no choice but to rule against this proroguation because if they didn't they would create a precedent for any PM to prorogue for how long they wanted for any dodgy incentives.
    They could even prorogue and shut down Parliament as soon as they got elected for 5 years until the next elections.

The highlight was probably when a former PM from the Tories, John Major went to court and argued that the current PM is a liar and it would be naive to believe whatever he said.
    He gave many examples of possible abuses by a dodgy PM of the proroguation like to shut down the army, to avoid losing a vote of no confidence and so on.

About the "remedy" there are many options argued.
    Will the proroguation be found null and they will let the Speaker recall parliament or they will order the government to give a new Queen's speech as soon as possible?

The government said that they may prorogue right away again parliament if this proroguation is found illegal.

The conclusion of all of this is yet again a clear demonstration that the United Kingdom has the best 12th century democracy.

It has all been working all these centuries only based on the good will of the politicians not to abuse their powers.
    We had to reach this age of shamelessness for them to realise that they need to join the rest of the world in the 21th century if they want to have a functional democracy.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

This is silly. The initial objection to Johnson proroguing Parliament was that Parliament would then be sidelined from that day until after Brexit was official. Of course nothing like that has happened. Not only has Parliament not been blocked from voting and acting, they HAVE voted and acted. And they will be back in a few weeks, as usual, right after the party conferences, with time still remaining before Brexit day on October 31.

Not that I would have been displeased if Johnson had prorogued Parliament from the end of August to the beginning of November. But that is clearly NOT what he did.

All of the arguing about this in court has been a colossal waste of time.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

of course you wouldn't have been displeased if Parliament was prorogued for 4 months since you are against democracy.

The law is aiming to protect the nations against dangerous people like you so the fact that you find it silly is a great compliment.

Hopefully you will soon also find it disgusting and horrible when the hand of the law falls on Johnson.
    Then that means they are doing their job right.

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

US Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio Cortez has turned down an invitation from Jeremy Corbyn to speak at Labour's annual party conference next week. Representative Ilhan Omar was also asked, and she too declined, as both radical leftist Congresswomen apparently already have previously scheduled domestic commitments.

US CONGRESSWOMAN Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has turned down Jeremy Corbyn’s offer to speak at Labour’s conference next week

The party had reportedly asked to to fill the “international speaker” slot on the Tuesday afternoon. But Ms Ocasio-Cortez said she had political commitments in America, according to Politics Home. Labour also tried to get fellow US Representative Ilan Omar to speak too, but she was also unavailable.​

A suggestion was offered further into the article linked above that AOC decided not to participate because of the anti-Semitism scandals that have come to mark the UK Labour party. Perhaps this could be plausible for AOC. But for Ilhan Omar, no way. There is nobody in the UK Labour party who will be able to outdo Omar when it comes to anti-Semitism. She is truly world class on this score.

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Reporting in from this weekend's Labour party annual conference, the UK Labour party has just voted to make it part of its party policy to do entirely away with private schools.

I knew these people were radicals, but honestly, I had no idea they were this radical.

Labour votes to AXE private schools - Corbyn declares class war

THE LABOUR PARTY has voted in favour of a motion to abolish private schools and redistribute their properties to the state sector.​

Will the citizens of the UK find this appealing? Really? What is going on here with this? And of course, this is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Oh? you managed to report that irrelevant detail and failed to mention the real headline that Corbyn is now completely outed as a Leaver?

You said couple of weeks ago I was ignorant for saying that Corbyn is a Brexiter, if I remember correctly.

Nook likes this.
  17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I said there was no legitimate leave scenario that Labour supported. That was correct then and still is now.

As a result, Labour effectively is a Remain supporting party. While Remainers have been a little confused about the way that Corbyn has presented that, Leavers very certainly were not.

What is relevant here is the party, not any one member of it. And I think you know that my comments were not specifically about Jeremy Corbyn's position, but rather about the Labour party's position.

#1917 MojoMan, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Silent_Bob likes this.
  18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

2015 general election where the referendum was in the manifesto of the majority winning conservatives
    2016 referendum
    2017 general election where both major parties had respecting the result in their manifesto
    2019 opposition party not allowing a general election

This new attack, it is projection on an epidemic level. People offering a general election are the worst haters of democracy ever.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Apparently the British Supreme Court ruled against Boris Johnson and those who want to leave the EU are unhappy?

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

In fact, the Parliament is in recess as it routinely is at this time of year for the party conferences. A new Queen's speech is scheduled for October 14, which will be the start of a new Parliament. Of course Parliament will have to be prorogued in advance of that. Apparently the Supreme Court objected to the length of the proroguement, because a proroguement of some length is definitely required at this point in the cycle.

Not only did this proroguement not block Parliament from acting. In fact, they did act.

So, now the Lib Dems and the SNP are calling for a no confidence vote in Boris Johnson. Surely the opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn will have to agree, after this ruling today, right?

Not so fast....

Lib Dems and SNP demand no confidence vote in Boris - but Corbyn REFUSES to call one

LABOUR leader Jeremy Corbyn has refused to cave in to demands for a no confidence vote tabled against Boris Johnson - despite the SNP and Lib Dems calling for one.

In a bizarre move, the veteran left-winger has refused to table a motion that calls into the question the leadership of embattled Mr Johnson, who today suffered another blow to his Brexit plan when the Supreme Court ruled it was illegal for him to prorogue Parliament. The Lib Dems have joined forces with Nicola Sturgeon’s party and said they will back a no confidence vote, adding they now believe Brexit will not happen on Halloween, the Daily Telegraph reports. The SNP’s Ian Blackford added: “The rule of law has caught up with him & it marks the end of the short road for Boris Johnson - his position is untenable.”

Yet Labour will not allow that to happen, Sky News’ political correspondent Lewis Goodall has confirmed. The news comes after a shock ruling today by the Supreme Court who said Mr Johnson was unlawful to shut down Parliament.

Mr Johnson said he "strongly disagrees" with the ruling this morning and promised to still leave on October 31. Mr Johnson told the BBC: "Obviously this is a verdict we will respect, we will respect the judicial process.

#1920 MojoMan, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019