1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Formal Impeachment Inquiry of Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Sep 24, 2019.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Schiff Bot 3000 needs to wrap it up.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know, right? That is so 2017

B@ffled likes this.
  3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree I have no issue with impeachment but I have realistic expectations of what it means.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Gee, I wonder why trump thought it important to have lunch with senator romney and senator collins?

Trump lunches with two of his biggest Senate GOP critics
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...ter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I look forward to trump supporters explaining how this is great news for the president. Today is a great day for the true American people who still have some moral values in their brains.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I saw that but you said trump supporters are the ones acting on them.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Actually I think it would be harder to get people to go along with his schemes after this, they realize they have real exposure to any of these schemes.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you are really off base. Few bills will be overlooked. Even fewer are as important as holding the person at the head of the executive branch accountable for abusing his power and allowing his criminal corruption to continue.

It is perfectly logical to think that Congress would be neglecting their duties if they had evidence of the officeholder was committing these crimes and did nothing to hold them accountable despite having the constitutional duty to provide that check.

Contrary to your claim, I believe most voters have heard of the checks and balances. I believe a majority of them have finished more than the 9th grade.

10. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I was hoping Fiona Apple was testifying today. I was disappointed at first, but warmed up to Ms. Hill as she spoke. She clearly can navigate through both parties' bullsh!t. The other guy, who heard a loud phone call, jumped on his high horse and held court for about 40 minutes...uggh.. We already know, guy.

Needle moves nowhere today. I don't think anyone's mind has changed from today and it's time to **** or get off the pot. Or make it interesting and let the Repub's call a witness or two. As for the Steele dossier....that won't be debunked until Durham's report comes out, IMO.

I am curious as to why the Dems dismissed the report on Russian meddling in the election. The meddling seems like something everyone can agree needs to be addressed. Why not tackle the issue?

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I agree and that’s part of what I said

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If that were so, Republicans wouldn't have to fear being primaried if they ever broke ranks.

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Let's see if voting for Trump have any consequence or senators, congressmen not in red states(districts). Will Democrats see any back lashes as well? Should be a super interesting 2020 election.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I find it pathetic that Trumpanzees are trying to give Trump the benefit of the doubt by parsing testimony when there is no human alive that deserves less benefit of the doubt than Trump's lying, thieving, fraudulent ass. If Trump was innocent he'd allow Mulvaney, Giuliani, Pompeo, et al to testify on his behalf but he knows they will perjure themselves the second they get put in front of that committee. Trump himself could testify but again we know he's going to lie his ass off. This country is seriously f'ed when tens of millions of people support such a charlatan and trash human being. It's embarrassing to be an American right now.

astros123, joshuaao, Anticope and 3 others like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah that made no sense.

Yikes.

When you dismiss someone just because {insert label} it usually means you don't have a coherent argument.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Though I don't know if we will know the reason for voting swings. I believe Trump will far exceed the polling.

Just look at how many people on these boards defend Trump, but claim they didn't vote for him and aren't supporters.

I am sure that folks will tell pollsters that they won't vote for Trump, but when they get alone in the booth, they will absolutely vote for Trump.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I teach history and at no time have I seen an emphasis on the duty congress has to impeach a president, so why would most people think it's at the top of the list for a congressman?

Yes most people have heard about checks and balances but impeachment is not a big topic when discussing those things, if people actually cared about checks and balances most would actually have issues with the senate which have been shirking the duties since 2016.

This impeachment as duty talking point has only been in the air since 2016 and most people just don't care look at the numbers?

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong. It is Congress' duty to undertake these proceedings.

mikol13 likes this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Perhaps history classes should teach them more :). What a great opportunity to do so now while it's on-going.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/12/7777...ump-impeachment-inquiry-as-a-teachable-moment

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't expect many Democratic defections and I don't expect many constituencies to primary Democrats for being pro-impeachment. There might be a couple in purple states who worry about the general election.

Representatives are in a somewhat different position -- you need to have an acceptable primary challenger to punish each defector and a party might not be able to mount one for each Rep if there are many defections on either side. They also tend to focus on much more local issues -- if you listen to a Lizzie Fletcher interview it'll be all about making Houston more resilient to flooding even though she's aboard the impeachment train too.

But you can expect any Senator, Democrat or Republican, who breaks ranks will get primaried. And the primary will be a referendum on their decision on impeachment. Someone like Joe Manchin might lose his conservative support if he convicts, but would also likely lose his party's support if he doesn't. Imagine a senator like Ed Markey in a Democrat stronghold like MA not convicting -- he'd probably have 10 democratic challengers.

I guess what I'm saying is folks might be right that a significant portion of even Democrats don't have the wisdom to realize impeachment is imperative. But, given that it is now happening, they will absolutely care how their senators decide on it. And I expect every senator will be guided by their own electoral fortunes and not the facts of the case to determine how they will vote (because they're politicians, after all).

jiggyfly and Nook like this.