1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The First Ever Recession in Washington DC is Coming!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Jan 19, 2017.

1. AkeemTheDreem86

This is a great answer, but you dismissed it due to some arbitrary time limit you made up. Tell us, what's the statute of limitations for an argument to prove you wrong?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So in your mind art doesn't get made that isn't government funded? Or is it that the absolute best art is government funded? I want to know exactly which hot take I'm dealing with here. I mean, it's not surprising that a leftist would believe that the government is responsible for everything good in the world, I just want you to outright say it so you can't backpedal later.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no statute of limitations, but the argument has to be valid and relevant in order to do so. Talking about the economics of a monarchy 400 years ago or that of an ancient Greek society and then comparing them to the modern US is pretty foolish for what should be obvious reasons....then again, you know how public schools can fail children.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Trump can feel free to destroy the DC housing market.

Can't afford s*** around here.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm saying that the overall quality of civilization defining works of art come when the government is funding the arts. The government isn't the only way great pieces of art are created. But from Ancient Greece, Rome, Renaissance, the Dutch Masters and on and on, the government has been funding the defining art that civilizations are remembered for and that makes them great. The same can even be said to be true of the United states and it's funding through the WPA. Orson Welles among others was funded by the government and that project.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So what great work of art has come due to the NEA? Also, you do realize that the arts will still be funded even if the NEA went away tomorrow.....don't you? I mean, there will still even be government funding of the arts without the NEA let alone private funding which is really the important funding to begin with.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

We got a spending issue. Let's lose focus of the big picture and focus on peanuts now. And while we are at it, let's destroy thousand of jobs that actually make America great for decades. Brilliant.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  8. AkeemTheDreem86

I didn't go to public school, but part of the way they fail children is the lack of, you guessed it, funding for arts education.

Some things are constant throughout history; benefit from public arts funding is one of them (especially for poorer neighborhoods, which is why I suspect you don't give a ****).

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

other than silicon valley, all the wealthiest counties in the country are in and around DC

These are hardly public servants. DC is The Capital from The Hunger Games

Tha_Dude likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Evidence that all types of schools can fail children.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Anyway, this conversation is a good example of why no real cuts to wasteful spending programs ever happen. Both big spending Republicans and ridiculously big spending Democrats will fight to the death for any BS program no matter how little actual good it does. When you can't even agree to trim the fat that is worthless government programs, how are you ever going to agree to legitimate cuts?

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

That's an impossible place to start but if you start somewhere else that gives you an easier win, you can take that momentum towards a 10% cut from defense budget.

I agree with everyone else that at best this is 1-2% of the budget only but it resets expectations that waste will not be tolerated. It changes the culture that waste will be eliminated. That's the power behind something like this and with that power and momentum you can leverage in other areas. If you want to lose 50lbs, that first few lbs are so important, for so many reasons, even if it at the end of the 50lbs weight loss they are statistically insignificant.

13. AkeemTheDreem86

I almost feel sorry for you... almost.
    To me it says "helping poor battered women pay their legal fees will not be tolerated".

While there is undoubtedly lots of fat to be trimmed in some of those programs listed in the OP (yet not even close to the blubber of the defense budget), I don't think eliminating entire programs like Violence Against Women Grants is the answer.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

How much is the combined budgets for all these areas? How much is federal budgets?

Sorry,

I mean these only:

Corporation for Public Broadcasting would be - PRIVATIZED
    National Endowment for the Arts - ELIMINATED
    National Endowment for the Humanities - ELIMINATED
    Minority Business Development Agency ELIMINATED
    Economic Development Administration - ELIMINATED
    International Trade Administration - ELIMINATED
    Manufacturing Extension Partnership - ELIMINATED

Office of Community Oriented Policing Services - ELIMINATED
    Violence Against Women Grants - ELIMINATED

#34 pirc1, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  15. AkeemTheDreem86

You've been shown in this thread the greatness publicly funded arts has brought humanity, yet you still call it worthless. The only thing proven to have no worth is an attempt at discourse with you.

joshuaao likes this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

About 15% of the government budget.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, okay let me break this down for you Barney style because apparently that's what is required here. What you are saying is equivalent to someone suggesting that they cut a military program that is ineffective and you chiming in with talk about how military funding brings a lot to humanity. It's a ridiculous and honestly stupid reaction....but it's pretty common when someone bring up cutting spending when talking to a big spending Republican or incredibly big spending Democrat....and it's why the US has such a spending problem.

18. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

The arts operate already on a shoestring budget, unless they are the tired things that already attract funding from large corporations looking for a tax break (Oklahoma, Annie, the Nut Cracker sort of things). Fine arts can't really compete with sports or reality television and shouldn't be treated the same way. Things like the Alabama Shakespeare Festival and regional theater in general rely a great deal on public funding. If anything, public funding of the arts is already way too low. The US has nothing remotely like Mezzo or ARTE or BBC or DW and it shows.

The same people that think gutting the NEA is a great idea are also the ones that say "liberal arts degrees are a waste of money" since one should apparently devote their lives to figuring out how to optimize their usefulness to oligarchs.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Perfect example of why this **** has to be eliminated. Government workers shouldn't be able to afford housing in DC.

Astrodome likes this.
  20. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

You would prefer that government workers commute from further inside VA, MD, or DE? You want DC to be as devoid of a middle class as San Francisco and Manhattan have become?

Nook likes this.