1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The final roster follow the $$$$$

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 16, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

In a lot of threads we have been discussing whom is going to be on the final roster etc, and whom is going to be traded.

And honestly, a lot of our conjecture is based upon incomplete data. It is a lot like poker, we make assumptions based upon what we know, but the true hand is not revealed until later.

The draft was a good example, I was dissappointed we did not trade Tmac for something that fit in with Yao, well it turns out, Yao was out too, and the organization was going in a different direction all together.

So, all we can really do is have a think about what we DO know, and that includes the money trail.

When it all breaks down, following the money is the easiest way to attempt to suss out who makes the final roster.

So, to me, here is where I think the team is based upon the $$$$ situation.

On the team for sure:

Yao Ming - The team is doing everything it can to get him health and a decent % of the valuation of the Rockets as a whole is based upon him playing for them.

Trevor Ariza - Signed to a decent deal for a quality role player.

Shane Battier - Solid guy in locker room and on the floor - fairly compensated

Luis Scola - My favorite player - a very undervauled contract, will be getting a big raise after this season

Carl Landry - A valuable energy PF off the bench, contract about right where it should be.

Chuck Hayes - A great 4th PF, that can play elite defense - always need guys like him on the team.

Aaron Brooks - A young super quick PG that is on a great contract for his production

Kyle Lowry - See above, another good PG that has a very friendly contract

Tracy McGrady - I think trading him may be hard, and with Yao out, it may be better just to see if he has anything left. (I wanted him gone, but the $$$ speaks).

David Andersen - New guy, runs the Adelman offense well, will be a very friendly contract....

Brian Cook - This is pure $$$$ here, the guy may be bought out, but his contract is very tradeable as an expiring one.

Brent Barry - Probably should be bought out but he has an expiring deal, so unless he retires, he gets a roster spot.

Probables:

Chase Budinger - looks great in summer league but this is a $$$$ thread, and the team paid $2 million for the pick, and no way does Morey cut or fail to sign a guy that he convinced his boss to pay that money for.....and honestly, Chase looks great.

Jermaine Taylor - Has not looked good in SL, but has a slight hamstring injury, so hard to tell what he can really do, and again, they paid serious $$$$ for the pick so he gets a contract, IMO.

Joey Dorsey - Looks good in the summer league, and has a guaranteed contract.

So that is 15 players, I think it leaves out James White and my boy Von Wafer.....

If the roster was set today, based upon the $$$$$ trail that is how I think it goes down.

Now all of this is subject to trades etc, but that would be a fun team to watch, and would play hard.

Following the $$$$ tree is a good way to take emotions out of posts...

DD

1 person likes this.
  2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Morey said only one wing spot is open. Budinger, Taylar, and White need to compete for it.

3. Stilldream'n34

Since the Rockets were willing to spend money to buy 3 draft picks, I was wondering if Cook and Barry can not be traded this offseason, if the Rockets would consider buying them out to open up roster spots?

4. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i think white will get that spot...but budinger looks promising at the moment...

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think Cook's contract is that attractive...remember Francis last year?

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

based on what morey has said i think white's roster spot is in jeopardy unless he really starts to impress.

7. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

I wouldn't want to agree with you but since white brings defense and some offense he is one step above everyone else.

8. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

DD, I realize nothing I say will change your mind on stashing Budinger and Taylor in Europe as legit options Morey will consider, so I'll just repost this from the Newley thread for others to decide:

Morey also spent Les' 2 mil on Lull as a stash pick and Les didn't mind. As for whether the player wants to go to Europe, they don't have much of a choice. From Coon's CBA FAQ:

The only way a player in this situation can force the issue is to stop playing professional ball for a year (and lose out on playing experience and $). Otherwise the team has all the leverage when it comes to getting the players to accept playing in Europe.

Rostering a player (and paying luxury tax) for the sake of rostering and saving face is r****ded. If you think Les will be upset that he spent 2mil on Taylor to go overseas to develop for year, Les should be even more pissed if Taylor takes up a roster spot and costs Les even more money in wages to sit on the bench. If Taylor makes the squad, it should only be because they at least see potential in him developing into an NBA rotation player by the start of next season.

9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

^ To clarify by next season I mean 2010/11, since 2009/10 is a wash anyway.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

^

I am pretty sure they are going to be here...they had a press conference already for the two rookies and gave them jerseys they do not do that with picks that they feel will be playing overseas or are prospects (Lior, Maarty, Newley, Llull)

Also if they are invited to training camp be assured they will be on the team, once a team invites a rookie to a training camp and he is not signed by the start of the season they lose their rights to that player

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Morey sounded REALLY high on Budinger I'd say he is in the lead right now but the preseason will be the determing factor if he can guard some wings even a little bit.

12. bball1217

bball1217 Member

So with your guys you have staying, our lineup should look like this with all players healthy (except Yao)? (w/ MPG at position):
    Brooks (28 MPG)/Lowry (20 MPG)
    McGrady (30 MPG)/Ariza (16 MPG)/Barry (2 MPG)
    Battier (30 MPG)/Ariza (14 MPG)/Budinger (4 MPG)
    Scola (24 MPG)/Landry (24 MPG)
    Andersen (25 MPG)/Dorsey (10 MPG)/Scola (8 MPG)/Hayes (5 MPG)
    Reserves:
    Taylor (maybe some D-League time or replacement for Barry in case of injury)
    Cook
    Yao

Total MPG for each player:
    Scola: 32 MPG
    McGrady: 30 MPG
    Battier: 30 MPG
    Ariza: 30 MPG
    Brooks: 28 MPG
    Andersen: 25 MPG
    Landry: 24 MPG
    Lowry: 20 MPG
    Dorsey: 10 MPG
    Hayes: 5 MPG
    Budinger: 4 MPG
    Barry: 2 MPG

Does that sound about right using just DD's players above.

13. rknyc

rknyc Member

I agree. Although Chase has looked very good. I see White as a more explosive complete player. I think Chase needs a year or two of seasoning, but when he is ready, he will be a very good addition to the roster.

14. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I didn't know about the press conference thing with Maarty and those guys, but I agree that it's highly likely they are going to be here. It's the 'Taylor is going to be here even if he is a bust because they spent $2mil on him' reasoning that I don't agree with. All I'm saying is if Taylor or the rest of the non-guaranteed guys make the roster it will or at least should be because of potential/ability. Sending a guy to Europe indefinitely doesn't mean the $2mil spent was a waste. Yet.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the only person who is using the "Taylor is here because Les spend 2 million on him" is DD and thats to rationalize why the Rockets aren't bringing Wafer back. Forget that the Rockets FO believe more in the future of Taylor than Wafer...it was all because they spent money on buying that pick!

what I dont get is that Llull was bought to and he is staying overseas for at least another year why dont they clear up a roster spot for him they spent money on him too! :rolleyes:

16. Raven

Raven Member

If the Rockets are serious about signing a big name next Summer then Scola is gone at the deadline, because they don't have the salary cap to do both.

Nope, they most certainly do not.

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think it would be that Budinger and Taylor compete for that wing spot. Morey said they will leave one spot open for roster flexibility. They might give that spot to White temporally since his contract is not fully guaranteed. They can cut him at any time.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Morey is saving Les way more than 2mil a year just by leaving emotion out of the free agent signing and not handing out stupid contracts. After some of CD's debacles (Moochie? MoTay? Cato?), I'd imagine Les is more than happy to give Morey some extra money, knowing that overall he'll be seeing a good product on the floor.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

James White is definitely out. The team already has its share of defensive minded wing players with limited offensive capability. White doesn't bring anything to the table that Ariza and Battier don't do much, much better.

That's a smart $$ decision and a smart basketball decision.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think maybe Taylor might agree to this, but Budinger has opened a lot of eyes in summer league, and while it is a pure guess on my part, he might just sit a year and become a complete free agent, it would probably make him more $$$$ at the end of the day.

I think Budinger is a lock for the roster this year.

DD