1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Federalist] The NBA’s Bow To Chinese Repression Was Reprehensible

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well seeing as how this is from the Federalist, it clearly must be bull shitte

https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/07/the-nbas-bow-to-chinese-repression-was-reprehensible/

The NBA’s Bow To Chinese Repression Was Reprehensible
    The only appropriate response from an American corporation in such a situation is some variation of ‘We stand by our people.’ Period.

By Giancarlo Sopo
    October 7, 2019

As I was boarding my DC to Dallas flight, I read on Twitter that Chinese companies were suspending their ties with the Houston Rockets over a pro-Hong Kong tweet by its general manager, Daryl Morey. Assuming the NBA team had sided with Morey over Chinese communists, I congratulated @HoustonRockets and the league for standing by one of its own. I should have known better, but a part of me wants to believe this is what any American company would do.

Except the NBA apologized to China for Morey’s comments. According to the New York Times’ Sopan Deb, an NBA spokesperson issued the following statement:

We recognize that the views expressed by Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey have deeply offended many of our friends and fans in China, which is regrettable. While Daryl has made it clear that his tweet does not represent the Rockets or the NBA, the values of the league support individuals’ educating themselves and sharing their views on matters important to them. We have great respect for the history and culture of China and hope that sports and the NBA can be used as a unifying force to bridge cultural divides and bring people together.

Look, I work in corporate PR and I get it. China is a high-priority market for the NBA and I am sympathetic to communication teams that need to formulate responses to complex issues, but the Rockets’ statement is pathetic.

The only appropriate response from an American corporation in such a situation—including those trying to steer clear of international political controversies—is some variation of “We stand by our people.” Period. If a company cannot bring itself to say that, then it should say nothing at all.

Sadly, the NBA’s dastardly comments were not the result of PR malpractice. It is an accurate reflection of corporate America’s cowardice and pitiful moral neutrality on significant matters of strategic national interest.

While large U.S. companies enjoy all the benefits of doing business in the United States—such as unparalleled property rights, legal protections, a society that values entrepreneurship, and a favorable tax climate—too many don’t really view themselves as, well, American, or even care for the duties that come with citizenship, like standing up for liberty and human rights.

As we saw with Hollywood appeasing communist apparatchiks, the problem of American companies acquiescing China’s censorious demands is not limited to professional basketball. The fact is that contemporary corporate culture rarely promotes American patriotism or national unity as a virtue; the opposite is true, actually.

This became apparent to me earlier this year when a retired Fortune 100 CEO told a small group of us at a gathering in Miami that “no corporate executive has spent more time in Beijing than me” while emphasizing that he is “ultimately a global citizen.” The worst part is he meant this as a good thing, and there are clearly other executives—the kind that Michael Anton famously referred to as “the Davos class” in his Flight 93 essay—who think the same way.

There are many reasons for corporate America’s indifference to our national interests, including MBA programs’ preoccupations with shaping “global citizens” instead of developing leaders who care about their country. To be clear, I am not calling for corporate jingoism. However, our country’s academic curricula and c-suite culture are long overdue for a reboot and realignment with America’s interests in the 21st century.

For now, the NBA should remember what and who the N in their name stands for. When they forget, American consumers must remind them who their “fans and friends” truly are.

Giancarlo Sopo is a Florida-based communications strategist and writer. Follow him on Twitter at @giancarlosopo.​

ryan_98 and BruceAndre like this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

For now, the NBA should remember what and who the N in their name stands for

Sorry Federalist, you're not supposed to say that part out loud.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Most of their opinion pieces are bull shitte but I'll agree with the general idea of this one. The Fertitta and Harden are sellouts and it's embarrassing. It's probably inevitable when you hitch your wagon to communists.

ryan_98 likes this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What would be the appropriate response for a multi-national corporation, who wants access tot he Chinese market?

I am surprised that the asshats at the Federalist forgot that we all must acquiesce to our Global Corporate Overlords. It is Conservative 101.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The cognitive disconnect is striking but, as with Ted Cruz, predictable as a talking point opportunity.

We turn our heads 24/7 to multinational corporate behavior that harms American workers, but hey here’s a chance to beat up on a so-called progressive league full of tweet-happy black athletes, so both barrels open. Booya!

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

My rep with the hot take.

joshuaao, jcf, Hakeemtheking and 4 others like this.
  7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I wish the United States had citizens and corporations as loyal as their Chinese counterparts. That's really the only compliment I can give them.

8. B-Bob

Do we hold other American-based companies doing business in China (or Saudi Arabia, et multa "authoritaria" alia) to the standard we are expressing for the NBA? "Yes, you can spend decades setting up a lucrative business partnership but you better burn that bridge completely once you get in a delicate situation or offend their sensibilities re: freedom of speech or personal liberties for Americans."

Hmmm. I'm not sure we do. In the case of Chinese-manufactured pharma, we don't even fully safeguard the health of American citizens -- nevermind freedom of speech for execs of the pharma companies.

joshuaao, jcf and Invisible Fan like this.
  9. WNBA

WNBA Member

What do they call Trump after he as calling protests in HK a riot and kept silence on it?

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hi Bob- i get your disdain for the GOP. What I’m unclear about is your thoughts on the NBA, and Tillman’s, actions in this case. Do you support them, don’t have an opinion (a fine option), or do you feel that Tillman, and the league, should have stood more strongly behind Morey?

As an aside, i fully expect this to end w/ Morey’s resignation.

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t particularly care for David French, but this was prescient (from August):

joshuaao likes this.
  12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The NBA is fairly progressive and has taken political stances before. Their hypocrisy with China is deservedly on blast.

BruceAndre likes this.
  13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

hyprocrisy?

[​IMG]

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Dear Leader has his foot in his idealistic supporters' mouths again.

Make me see your America is Great Again.

15. B-Bob

I think they should be on blast if Morey is fired or forced to resign over this. Definitely.

But I personally don't think they should be on blast for trying to say, in a maximally diplomatic way, that they simply support Morey's right to speak his feelings on non-basketball matters. (That's what they did, or what they've done so far, unless I missed an update.) Harden is the only one who's actually "apologized" so far, right?

The NBA is trying to salvage a business partnership. That apparently takes some moral compromise, and so does, most definitely, Halliburton working in Saudi Arabia, and so on and so on.

It all just seems like, once again, everyone wants to be as outraged as possible. Maybe that's one place our culture and Chinese culture are finding common ground. :D

EDIT: damn, based on Silver's most recent response, made in Japan, he's taking a much firmer stance on NBA employee rights than most other multinational corps we could examine. I mean, on blast, my ass. They're clearly going to lose a lot of money here and are standing by Morey (so far). Good for Silver.

#15 B-Bob, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019