1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Faster Times] LBJ, DW & CB; Changing What it Means to be an NBA fan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jsmee2000, Jul 23, 2010.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Nice Houston Rockets history...

article link

Are LeBron James, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh changing what it means to be an NBA fan?

Last night on Pros vs. Joes, Hakeem Olajuwon showed that he still has it.

Dream proved he can still consistently hit his turn around jumper against some of the most elite athletes in the world as long as they are 6′3” or shorter. It looks like retirement is treating Dream well.

It hasn’t been so easy for the Houston Rockets.

They transitioned from Dream’s 1990’s championship and highly entertaining Barkley teams into the “Steve Franchise” era, which for some reason is a beloved period in many Houston fans’ memories. This era included big money signings of guys like Kelvin Cato, Moochie Norris and Mo Taylor. For a very reasonable price, Cuttino Mobely became the first player to hit the NBA fundamentally sound but somehow develop a street game while in the league.

The Steve Franchise era led to an ignominious end to Rudy Tomjanovich’s exalted run as the head coach of the Rockets and transitioned into the Jeff Van Slow Down. The Van Gundy Slow Down involved a careful mix of superstars and role playing sycophants lucky to be on an NBAroster. Van Gundy’s plodding style aside, the man also seems to like loading his roster with slow has-beens and fringe never-were’s. It’s easy to get a Ryan Bowen to buy into your system. What choice does he have? Van Gundy started Ryan Bowen, by the way.

Despite the hype of the JVG signing and the T-Mac coup he orchestrated, Van Gundy ultimately left Houston with a disappointing 182-146 record after four years. The Van Gundy Slow Down was definitely an improvement over the last years of Rudy Ball. And there can be no doubt that JVG slowed the bleeding in Houston. But that is about all he did.

Of course, the one constant in all this was former Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson, who for reasons unknown is lionized by the Houston press until this day. But for walking booty backwards into drafting Yao Ming with the number one pick in 2002, the Rockets were well on their way to becoming a Gulf Coast version of the LA Clippers under CD’s tenure.

The Rockets then made a very strange move. They brought in some nerd named Daryl Morey to shadow CD for a year in order to learn the ins and outs of running a basketball team. When CD finally got his initials retired at the Toyota Center for the part he played in turning the once championship organization into a regular lottery team, Morey took over.

[​IMG]

And in the last few years, the nerd has managed to do what CD couldn’t do in nearly 15 years. He has built the Rockets back into a quality team that could go deep in the playoffs. Of course, Rockets fans have been hearing that every off season for years now.

This time I actually believe it. Yao Ming, Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, Aaron Brooks and Trevor Ariza make one hell of a starting line up. Brad Miller and Kyle Lowry off the bench with Chuck Hayes as a defensive stopper now and then sounds pretty good. Shane Battier camping out in the corner behind the three point line and reciting Voltaire is also an option when needed. And the Rockets even have a few intriguing young players who might add something to the mix.

But lets face it. Compared to the Threesome in Miami, there ain’t much sizzle to this steak. It makes me wonder: Have LeBron James, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh changed what it means to be an NBA fan?

With Kobe Bryant certainly fuming at the nostrils and foaming at the mouth for the season to get under way so the Lakers can defend the NBA title, and the Threesome in Miami set to potentially dominate for years to come, will the average NBA fan start expecting less from their favorite teams?

If Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony team up with Amare Stoudemire in New York and form an Avengers to compete with Miami’s Justice League, will we be facing a league in which most of the teams are just a stop on the map for the real contenders during the regular season?

I really do think that if things break the Rockets’ way, and they almost never do, this is a team that could go to the Western Conference Finals. And after waiting all these years of waiting for a seriously good team in Houston, I am excited.

But I wonder about the long term. In the future, I wonder if a very large majority of NBA fans will drop the championship aspirations they have for their city altogether. If the league forms two or three super teams, how will Milwaukee compete? Will it matter if Kevin Durant becomes the best player in the league in OKC if players 2-10 are spread across only three other NBA rosters?

I am not saying it is panic time for NBA fans. Things will likely even out. Eventually. But I wonder if we are entering into a decade where only three or four NBA teams will even be able to pretend to matter. If CP3 is traded to the Knicks and Anthony joins him in 2011, we will be more than half way there.

We are seeing league with Kobe in LA, the Threesome in Miami and more superteams potentially on the way. Even the most cockeyed Steve Francis fan wouldn’t like their team’s chances against those odds.

Unless they live in Miami or New York.

2. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

rich getting richer......... im sure we have heard this before !

3. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Good article.

It's nice to think a team like Houston has a shot at a championship based on grit, determination, teamwork, and heart alone, but history has taught us that without at least one star player, and more often two, the odds are overwhelmingly against you winning a championship.

Realistically speaking, the Heat forming their big 3 will have no impact on Houston's shot at winning the championship with their current roster.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Terrible summary of the Rockets' yesteryears.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Considering Yao is pretty much 99% consistent... we'll win tons of games and lose only games where either Yao is missing shots, or the supporting cast fail to hit shots.

Rockets proved last season that they could just rotate hot players each and every game. One game it was Brooks with 30 leading the Rockets to victory, then it was Ariza, Scola then dominated the next game, and then Kevin Martin scored a bunch.

This unit is certainly better than having three superstars all trying to get their hands on some balls and subsequently disturbing the rhythm of the game.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Bad article, replete with multiple factual errors, typos and erroneous assumptions.

7. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

But are they better than three all-star level players who play as a team?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. As of right now, I'm not convinced they can take down the championship favorites who have multiple stars. I'd put my money on the Heat over the Rockets right now (in fact, I'd put my money on multiple teams over the Rockets), but that's why they play the games.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Everyone talks about this horrible decade coming up with only a couple of teams contending, but it was like that last decade:
    Lakers won four from 2000-2009
    Spurs won four 2000-2009
    Boston won one in '08
    Detroit won one in '04
    Not much variety in a league with 30 teams.
    Last year only about four teams were in contention(Lakers, Cavs, Celtics, Magic)
    and throughout the decade you can see that the same holds true(only a couple of teams had a chance of winning).
    Really, this whole fear of stars teaming up with other stars leaving a couple of contenders has already come true.

9. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

What's the number? Eight franchises in 30 years have won championships in the NBA? It's a superstar driven league. Always has been always will be.

10. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

oh ****...I never got past the part of the article about hakeem being in pros vs joes. how was it?