1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The escaped goat coming home to roost over spilled milk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It seems like the goat that is the Rockets season has escaped, given their inability to catch up to the 8th playoff spot despite good play. The hole they dug is simply too deep. It's a shame, really. It looks like the Rockets are on their way to win about 44-ish games and I think they really had the talent to win 5-6 more. Not that it makes them a championship caliber team, but that would have at least increased the trade value of their "assets" and put the team further on the "right track" of moving forward.

The major escaped goats of this season are:

1. The Yao Ming rehab stints: Before he suffered another fracture, Yao, I think, was hurting the team because he was still fighting to get back to form. He looked more hesitant than usual and his +/- stats, for example, were pretty horrible (small sample size, but still). It's not unexpected, but it still hurts. Maybe if he had not suffered the new injury so soon, and had been at full strength to help the team make up the earlier losses for a while (even if he had lasted just 40 games at full strength), it would have paid off, but that just didn't happen. Not sure what you do differently.... it's not crazy to take a chance to see what he could do... I would have brought him off the bench, though-- the whole 24 mpg limit as a starter was annoying.

2. The pre-season China trip: Adelman complained about the schedule at that time and I think he had a point. You don't just send a team to China when the regular season was about to start and then give them a tough opening schedule. Several of the early losses were close, and I can't help but think that the team would have had more energy, things would be differet.

3. The Aaron Brooks rehab (mental and physical) stints: Brooks, despite his flaws, was useful when right, but he never was right. There was the "pissed off about contract" situation followed by the ankle injury. The Rockets were outscored by 106 points by opponents during AB's minutes, they outscored opponents by 245 points during the minutes when he sat. It would have made a huge difference if the Rockets just managed to break even with opponents during AB's minutes. Similar to Yao, maybe it would have paid off had AB come back strong... but he never did.

4. Chuck Hayes absence in late December early January: Chuck missed 8 games during that stretch, the Rockets were 2-6. This happens right when the team finally clawed its way back to .500. Yes, Chuck Hayes was THAT important. I don't think it's an accident that the Rockets are playing better with Hayes getting 30+mpg than they did when he was only getting 20 mpg or so.

5. Jordan Hill's struggles: The Rockets were outscored by 139 points during Jordan Hill's minutes. Hill has looked better of late. Unfortunately, he was doing the worst (probably due in part to the "family issues" referenced in Feigan's article) back around the time Chuck got injured and he got to start.

I'm glad he's looking much better now and maybe the coaching staff's trust in him is paying off, but can't help but think that if the coaches had put Patterson in for Hill more, it would have helped (maybe Pat wasn't ready that early... sort of like Landry?)

Anyhow, I think these things hurt their playoff chances, but I'm encouraged that the "big picture" looks right: Patterson looking like a real pro, Lowry coming into his own, Budinger getting out of his early season funk, Lee showing his skills with increased minutes, Hill becoming less mistake-prone. There were a few personnel and coaching/rotation decisions that maybe would have gotten the Rockets over the playoff hump, but I don't think these things are "make or break" issues that outweigh the positives in terms of the team's medium/long term future.

#1 Carl Herrera, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I don't think we are out yet for playoffs, but our chances look bleak. But tbh, the games vs utah,jazz, and memphis in jan when we had like a 16 point lead in the 3rd and lost killed us.

3. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

I really think you should have waited till after tommorow's game to make this topic. If the rockets win, id be willing to bet good money that they make the playoff's (accoriding to R.justice morey thinks a win against the heat would mean a 20% boost to their playoof chances.)

4. choujie

choujie Member

6. RA's refusal to change rotation. He played guys like AB/Hill too long when there were obviously struggling on the court. For example, that game against TWolves, AB was doing absolutely nothing positive, he left him for too long so Rockets didn't put them away when they had the chance, eventually Love got hot on 3 point line in the end and it cost us one game. Every game is looking so important now. RA's usage of AB/Hill at least cost Rockets a couple more games, I'd say.

5. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Spot on. Dead right. The Hill and Brooks experiment failed big time. The same thing could be said about the Miller experiment. This combination has cost us 5+ games easily. We could have been battling for the 5th spot now instead of the 8th.

This is one of the reasons I hate Aldeman with a passion. His refusal to bench players just because he likes them. There is absolutely no accountability. He will make the same mistakes next season if he sticks around.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

if you want the reverse jinx to work, you should have included a tombstone

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

6. The Rockets schedule's frontloaded. Their surge came at the expense of some very easy opponents. In the end, as the NBA schedule is more or less the same for all teams in the same conference, everything eventually evens out.

8. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

That along with a long list of bad losses, especially at home. That's why I don't understand when ppl say 'don't worry about those losses; it's still early.' Those games matter, and all those bad losses will come back to haunt you.

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

good points OP but you are posting like it's a done deal/done season.

I hope you are wrong, and look like an idiot for it later.

10. conquistador#11

the funny thing is that all the way through my sophmore year in HS..I really thought the term was "escaped goat". Have no Idea how I made an A mr. Pirtle's english class.

What if Michael doesn't back down from trading chandler to the Rockets. With Chandler and Hayes manning the center position, teams wouldn't be driving to the basket like a lay up drill. So many close glames. The rockets have matched up well with almost every team, except Orlando, La, philly and Dallas.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Hey, I hope so, too. But it sure doesn't look like either MEM or NOR is giving us any help. :)

12. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

The Rockets season is...

[​IMG]

13. New Generation

I want the Rocket's to go to the playoffs just as much as anyone else here, but imagine if we were in Memphis's position, I doubt we would slip up even once, and risk losing our spot.

14. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

That's why Memphis and NO are winning games we thought they would lose. They are playing out of their minds b/c they want their spot as much as we do.

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It's amazing how much adversity the rockets have faced all year. I am certain if just one of those things would not have happened we would be easily locked in on the 8th seed.

16. Treeza

Treeza Member

If, and this is a big IF we beat the heat, we are so much likelier to make the playoffs. Dream situation for us tomorrow is a win for us and a memphis loss to san antonio, which is plausible Timmy or no Timmy.

A win against the Heat would put us at

39-34

A loss to the Spurs would put Memphis at

40-34

Just half a game back, so we're definitely still alive. BELIEVE!

17. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

damn, that boy cold.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The only goat that escaped was the talent level of this team. All the playoff teams are more talented, so it's not worth complaining about.

19. liljojo

liljojo Member

Well, apparently they aren't that much more talented than us, since our records are so similar.

There's more to winning than talent alone. Sure, it helps a lot, but talent guarantees nothing.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

dont forget trading battier to the team we are trying to catch. i know it was a good move for the future, but its still ironic that we may not catch the grizz because of that.