1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Endless Rotation Experiment

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, Jan 22, 2019.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got to thinking about our endless rotation of players and what seems like never ending lineup changes and wonder when Morey will get it right. Just looking back over the last 2 1/2 years is mind blowing. Morey is not a genius. He can't get it right. These are just some who have left us in that time:

Pablo Prigioni, Trevor Ariza, Ryan Anderson, Chinanu Onuaku, Patrick Beverley, Corey Brewer, Sam Dekker, K J McDaniels, Marcus Thornton, Jason Terry, Josh Smith, Montrez Harrell, Donatus Montiejunas, Ty Lawson, Zhou Qi,
    Isaiah Taylor, Kyle Wiltjer, Bobby Brown, Michael Beasley, Joe Johnson, MCW, Rob Gray, Troy Williams, Tark Black, Luc Mbah a Moute, Daniel House, Maekel Brown, and the list goes on. I left out a few.

#1 deb4rockets, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The amount of trash and flotsam that has floated by is quite amazing. The % of them that have panned out as reliable rotation players is also very low.

justinh likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey will get it right when God does away with injuries, OP

Williamson likes this.
  4. 1Deep

1Deep Member

To be fair if you listed the failures of other NBA GM's we probably wouldn't have room to post anything else in this thread.

5. Garner

Garner Member

This board is insufferable at times.

Not only did you list players he traded for Chris Paul, but you're acting as if Houston is the only team that has a revolving door of min. players.

D-rock, cbs1507, Rock Block and 10 others like this.
  6. Juxtaposed Jolt

BREAKING NEWS: NBA players who are not stars, all-stars or superstars, often go from team to team.

OP, you may be onto something here.

IvanLCPM, D-rock, cbs1507 and 6 others like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

God will do it when Tilman hires more expensive medical staff and doesnt cheap out on medicines

Smacktle and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

What if God was one of us?

alethios, snowconeman22 and hakeem94 like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Just a slob like one of us?

alethios and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

just a stranger on the bus

alethios, snowconeman22 and hakeem94 like this.
  11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yes, other teams have a revolving door of min players. This was my homage to all the guys we've seen rotating through. We loved a lot of them, but they simply weren't enough. My point is that our entire starting lineup has changed about 100 different ways in less than 3 years. The only constant was James and Clint. It wasn't all about injuries. After all, James and Clint have neither had a lot of injury problems. Their sidekicks have just never been great. You can't say we didn't try surrounding James and Clint with a million different players, but we have never been able to get a star forward who could shoot well and keep them. That is the star we needed most, a big forward, and not a little guard. Nobody would give 40 million for Chris Paul, so as great as he is when healthy, we couldn't even trade his broken down self for another superstar. Nobody would pay that much for a guy who averages less than 15 games before needing tune-ups, serviced maintenance, and repairs.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

You could make a similar list for almost every team in the league over the same time period. Even the Warriors, champs 3 out of 4 years, have a bottom rotation that changes drastically ever year.

D-rock and jcf like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just because you see the Sixers with 5 good role players and 3 all-stars doesn't mean we can do the same.

Phili has tanked their way through absolute misery for the team they have now. Joel and Simmons get paid peanuts so they have tons of room to pay role players.

15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Difference is the Champs have all had star forwards. We think we don't need them, but never learn.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You can all support the small ball logic and cheer the CP3 acquisition all you want, or think we don't need a star forward instead. All I can say is keep believing that. I hope Morey proves me wrong because I want to win, but I just don't think he was the right man for the 3rd star, and for our future.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That may be true but my point is Morey is no genius. He can't get it right, and almost only counts in horseshoes.

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

The difference is they have had Curry, Green, Durant and Thompson since 2016. We have only kept 2 starters since then in Clint and James.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Outside of Ryan Anderson and Trevor Ariza, how many of those players were vet minimum salaried players?

There are a few things you can nitpick at and say "Morey ain't no genius! I've never managed an GM team before and I'm smarter than him because that's what this post is really about!!!" but to use a list of players he brought on with veteran minimum status as a barometer on how well or bad he's done......you need to find a new slant.

D-rock and jcf like this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Keep defending Morey and the veteran min players he brings onboard and the fact he can't get a real star to play at forward with James all you want. I'm tired of all the BS. He screwed up somewhere and thinking CP3 is our future is a joke. We will never have a star forward now, because of his salary. Might as well call him Little Bench Man as a slant on the movie Little Big Man. I don't even have a name for Morey other rhan Dream Weaver.