1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Economist] Daryl Morey writes on the difficulty of predicting performance in NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the_hustler, Apr 22, 2012.

1. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Lock if posted already.
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2012/04/predicting-performance-basketball

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Those Euro writers are so polite and well mannered.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Edgar Allen Poe reference and calling everyone Mr. prove Murray is insufferable nerdy ass trash.

4. RocketFan#1

RocketFan#1 Member

Calling Mr. Morey "Mr. Murray" prove that you are largely ignorant on the subject.

You obviously have no idea of his background.

5. TISNF

TISNF Member

Wasn't Daryle a scientist or something for a couple years before he started in the NBA?

6. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i think a more astute article would be about the D.S. effect on personnel (D.S. could mean either David Stern or Darth Sidious).

7. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

[Morey] Predicting performance in basketball

Morey seems very sensitive about the Lin thing still to go out of his way and write an essay about it. Lock if already posted.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Shame on Morey for not recognizing Mr. Lin's talents? He brought him in here for Christ's sake. Shame on every other GM. Did he bring in Mr. Slater? Nope. He sure didn't. **** this article.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

*pulls hook out of your mouth*

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

honestly Lin was just in the perfect system for a PG.

he wasn't going to play over monta ellis and steph curry in GS, or Lowry and Dragic here. i don't see what the deal is.

Stats tell some of the story, but the biggest test for a PG is the pick and roll imo. if you can run the pick and roll you're going to be a great PG.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

I heard Murray was responsible for demoting Pluto from a planet to a large piece of ice.

12. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Should've wrote an article on performance after running a HOF coach out of tow:rolleyes:n

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You ever going to get over that?

Any ways Lin has proven to be a above average PG that blew up and get a lot of hype because of where he plays.

Dragic's numbers as a starter are better.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Technically, he actually replaced a non-HOF coach with a coach who is in the HOF. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Who cares we have dragic who is better than lin and lowry. Hopefully morey recognizes that and keeps him.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Morey wrote the article

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I looked at john slaters stats. Lin by his junior year was shooting 50% from the field. Slater was shooting 45% and regressed to 43% so using 16-5-5 comparison between Lin and Slater seems kind of a stretch. Is morey slipping? A difference between 43% shooter and a 51% shooter is huge. Maybe he is not a greater shooter per se but he takes better shots. Is Morey just making excuses?

18. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I'll take the bait and say, "what? shall we call you punk Herrera instead of Mr."

Sometimes I wish you just say what you mean.

No, nevermind.

Btw, your style really sucks sometimes.

19. caneks

caneks Rookie

the coach is in HOF as a player, not because of coaching. :p

20. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I like Morey's philosophy, but I can't help but wonder if the Rockets will become like the Oakland As---the "oh wow, they're always over-performing their meager expectations and overstepping their arbitrary burdens" Cinderella team no one has the heart to hate.

One problem is that I think chronically injured players are "underrated" statistically, but all things given, they get chronically injured. Maybe these burdens aren't as arbitrary as we once thought (Portland, with a similar philosophy, had the same problem with Roy/Oden). Regardless, I hope the Rockets prove me wrong, but we really seem to be headed that way. Yeah, Yao and Mac were hand-me-downs, but K-Mart is injury prone as hell, and the whole team seems like it is. Maybe it's time to stop blaming the medical team.