1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A very wise post.

2. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I guess what I'm saying is an emotional reaction is ok... but always, always take the time to think about what's going on afterwards.. don't be afraid to own up or do things everyone else thinks is wrong, b/c well...everyone else in the world is becoming more and more influenced in a negative manner by TV.

be willing to go against the grain and do what you feel necessary at the moment. you don't know how many lives you could save doing this. If even one, it'd be worth it.

3. bbjai

bbjai Member

I personally don't agree. In the Corporate world you have no choice, you don't feel like doing something, tough. You still gotta do it no matter how trashy or piss weak of an excuse the work is.

4. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

That's not what I mean... I work and I do as I'm told.. but be aware, and do the work with a sense of awareness.. becoming a drone for the corporate world is only hurting yourself..

The company will love you for it, b/c everyone hates the work and you're too afraid to question it or expression boredom b/c of your salary...

Any good work place should invite employee venting and try to move people to what they like doing or at least provide more variation....

Maybe you work in a place with a culture that has not yet been adjusted for the recently discovered human-factor of modern corporations.

5. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

ANYWAYS PS, sorry to bombard this thread with life talks...

back to what Dave2000 said, this is just Tmacs personality.. I'm sure he cares, but he seems like the type that's not THAT deep of a guy--he cares, but take him at face value.. genuine laid back dude.

No one's gonna think he's an ass.

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Sad story very sad story. Probably one of the weirdest basketball stories I have ever read, but I really want to see vid of that dunk.

7. Man

Man Contributing Member

he's not talking about tmac, he's talking about the author of the article making it seem like tmac doesn't care.

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Anyone know what T-Mac's vetical is, or was when he was at his athletic peak(im guessing Orlando..)

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

yea, we all know as fans we know thats how he'll react, but the article made it look like he didn't care, in other words, I would believe he had more to say than 30 words total. The article made it seem like he was THE reason why Jame's life ended the way it did.

10. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

This article sounded like everything that happened to James' life was Tracy's fault. It's not. If that kid was going to get destroyed by a single dunk, there's no way he could have made it in this tough world. He was just too emotionally fragile. The root of the problem was himself, the tragedy started with him not being able to take care of himself, and the people around him didn't do what they could to help this kid grow up. A sad story, but Tmac was not the one to blame.

11. wingz0

wingz0 Member

40, according to draft express. Doubt they had in-depth measurements then as in today, but that's the best we got.

But back to Felton's story. It's a weird one to be sure, but nobody should point it at Tmac's fault. Like many have said, if you're a true great, or at least is destined to be one, why the hell would you let a no-name, albeit athletic, freak dunk on you ONCE, and crash and burn in life after? It's just plain weak and let's be fair, his dislike for basketball probably had more to do with him crashing and burning than anything.

I tend to see it the other way, more like the remarkable reversal of roles, one that propelled Tmac to stardom and Felton to obscurity.

12. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

So sad. As someone said, so many have the talent to reach the highest levels but lack the proper mentality.

I remember one time Jordan was blocked on one end and had it stolen, only to chase down the guy who did down to the other end and pin it on the glass emphatically and the was as a member of the Wizards no less.

Everyone can't have Jordan's competitive fire, but that is the model. Get embarrassed? Fight back (not as in fist fight?

It's like if someone cracks a joke at your expense. Are you not gonna try to crack back?

13. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Not one bit. ;)

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

If a someone does not wants to play bball, he could just stop attending training. Its not like if you do not play bball, you be ban from school.

He plays bball because it makes him feel good when he is beating everyone, he does not play bball because some higher power force him to play, he plays bball because its fun.

And when its no longer fun, he just stop playing/watching ball. Pure and simple.

15. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

It's sad, dude. But it's not up to the rest of the school or coaches to change someone else's life. People make their own decisions. I'm sure people reached out to him.

I don't think that they wrecked his childhood. I don't think they put booze is his lips. Every high school is going to be the same. People are going to tease other people. It's how an individual deals with these situations that show true character. Life is a combination of all the decisions you've ever made; good or bad. He decided to deal with his problems in negative ways. That's what seperates the losers from the winners. Blaming someone else for an individual's problems is what liberals feed off of.

Besides . . . dude got dunked on.

16. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

OH, dude got dunked on. Every player who's dunked on should leave the world of basketball... Insurmountable humiliation.

(...)

17. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

40 to 42 inches, that is one of the highest in the NBA.

Michael Jordan had 48 inches ;)

And oh yeah I found this on the net, a pic of James boy.
    [​IMG]

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

ever heard of athletic scholarships?

I thought professional sports athletes do it for the money?

19. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Hmm... most people out there (including me) are doing jobs they don't like for one simple reason - to make a living.

It's not like playing basketball is THAT bad. And he was on course for a "living" that pays 100 times more than what most of us are getting. But he blew it. I'm sorry yes it is a sad story but he was mentally weak. He had a gift and he blew it. Many people are not born with spectacular gifts but they still slog on with jobs they hate, and doing so for pathetic salaries. I KNOW people who manage to support a whole family of 5 kids (plus wife and parents) with a very low-paying blue collar job, without having to resort to drinking or crime. And I don't think they love their jobs neither.

Hey, think about it. Do prostitutes enjoy their jobs? They still have to survive don't they. Try telling them that someone quitted on the path to a highly-probably multi-million-dollar career just because he didn't like playing basketball.

Ok I admit I'm a cruel guy.

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This is stupid.

The dunk isn't what screwed that kid up, he was screwed up to begin with.

r****ded. Trying to make a story out of a non-issue...