1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Dilemma: Kyle Lowry vs. Goran Dragic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Apr 7, 2012.

?

If you had to pick one.. Who would you rather have as our long term point guard?

1. Kyle Lowry

58 vote(s)
    24.9%
  2. Goran Dragic

175 vote(s)
    75.1%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Bleacher Report. Meh.

2. monster

monster Member

It makes sense to trade Lowry so we can upgrade elsewhere...hopefully an athletic big. I'm not convinced that Goran is ready to lead the Rockets on offense, but I can see either of them being useful enough to play the point, and rely on other players to be the leader and scoring workhorse.

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Please explain 4. Is it Yes or No or "I don't know."?

4. CDave

CDave Member

If Lowry was ever going to fetch a 5th pick or better in the draft, he isn't now on the heels of that medical problem that took him off the radar for a month and a half and effectively ended the Rockets promising season.

I'm pretty convinced Morey would've dealt him to the Lakers at the trade deadline for Gasol as many were speculating at the time had it not been for the medical setback that destroyed the negotiations.

Morey knew what he had in Dragic, knew he could easily part with Lowry and wanted to give the Rockets a shot in the arm for what everyone expected would be a solid playoff run with the addition of Gasol and probably also Camby since Scola would've been packaged with Lowry to the Lakers.

How much stronger would the Rockets have been at that point with the addition of Gasol and Camby to go with Dragic, Lee and Parsons? I say they would have been legitimate contenders for the Western Conference Championship with that team. We'll never know now but I think Morey was about to pull another rabbit out of the hat for this year's team.

Regardless of what he did before the mysterious ailment, the timing for Lowry's problem couldn't possibly have been worse.

It's the second time the Rockets and Morey got screwed this year on a transaction involving Gasol and the Lakers (the first was commissioner Stern). All of this speculation on my part but I think it has merit.

Anyway, making a short story long, no team is going to pay with a high price pick or player until they see Lowry return to the same level of performance next year.

If sooner than that, other teams will be looking to take him off of the Rocket's hands at a bargain price.

A mid to late first rounder under the circumstances would be more like it and Morey isn't going to sell low when he knows Lowry will probably return to form.

5. caneks

caneks Rookie

no brainer, Kyle.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Goran by miles, not a hard choice; both are skilled, but Goran has the biggest up side. He is the better passer, better shooter, and better defender. Plus, he is bigger. Lowry has a tendency to sulk, so I give better attitude to Goran as well.

7. Stepping Razor

1. Re-sign Dragic, then trade Lowry + package for an upgrade/near All-Star C or PF. Bring Llull over to replace Lowry; back court would be set.

2. Keep Lowry & Dragic (and trade Martin & Scola + fillers to move up in the draft or to obtain an All-Star SF, PF, or C).

3. Re-sign Dragic and keep everyone named Parsons, Camby and Morris (I see potential if given sufficient playing time). Clean house and get two top-10 picks (Drummond, Leonard, Beal, A. Rivers or P.Jones). Morey can find a gem in the 2nd-round. We would probably have tons of cap room with a very young and dangerous after a season or two.

8. caneks

caneks Rookie

Kyle has more assists, rebounds, draw more fouls. good long range and FT. why many of you still think Goran is better, because Kyle was injured?

9. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

I think it is very close. They are both great in their respective ways. But, signing
    Goran and trading Lowry for high draft pick makes a lot of sense. Essentially tanking without the pain of the season. I would be ok with either leading this team, but at the same time, would hate to see either one on another team.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Kyle got his position because of injury
    now . . . he will lose position because of injury

I'm not saying he or dragic did not earn their way up
    it is just ironic.

Rocket River

11. KB9

KB9 Member

Goran is obviously on the up-rise, also he's more consistent, Kyle well slow compared to Goran, has more steals, assists and points per game AS A STARTER, I believe...why do you stick with him? Lowry love?

12. KB9

KB9 Member

ups GD as a starter to put it correctly

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

ehh? umm obviously Lowry has more points assists steals for the season because he was the starter for most of the season. Dragic when given the same minutes as Lowry(starter minutes) has produced more points assists and steals. Lowry gets more rebounds....

14. yxx1218

yxx1218 Member

Keep both and then try to trade one for a superstar.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Neither.
    Goran is out of control and Lowry is a chucker.

16. Treeza

Treeza Member

Lowry over Dragic; Lowry had us playing better basketball over the course of the season and his injury or whatever was a sickness not even something that'll be long term. Just because you've seen Dragic LATELY doesn't mean he's better than Lowry. Lowry has better vision and runs the team better, he also rebounds like a mad man for a point guard. I also think a lot of Dragic's play is attributed to his contract year status.

Anyways, Goran is gone in FA; Lowry is our PG of the future.

17. Asian Sensation

What dilemma? Trade them both.

Both of them have shown flashes here and there but they're nothing special. There's a reason why they aren't superstars and there's a reason why there are only a handful of superstars in the league. LOL at all the noobs who were anti Deron Williams for Lowry and everyone who was freaking out about losing Dragic when he was playing really well a few weeks ago.

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

When did the Rockets lose 6-7 games with Lowry as a starter?

19. KB9

KB9 Member

earlier this regular season, lol (I guess not in a row, but still)