1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The difference between Harden and superstars

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Senator, May 12, 2019.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I presented to you as well. He used to take over 30% of his shots at the rim. Youre looking at totals, but Harden's usage is a lot higher than it was in 2015. So the distribution has changed.

Why does it always come up that he's tired? The Rockets are bottom 10 in pace when they used to be top 10 in pace when Harden first got here. And why is Harden's usage 40? There is no reason for it to be that high. You know he can let CP3 handle the ball a bit more and play off ball more. I'm just agreeing with CP3 here that the offense needs more movement and needs to change.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  2. jowman

jowman Member

Giannis a scrub for a superstar. Guy is practically the last option in crunch time. Not the same thing. Lebron on another level, rest of guys won with other superstars. Harden is on the same level as those guys.

Hope rockets trade harden. Have fun winning 35-40 games a year for next 10 years with Chris Paul and capela.

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And I refuted that point pretty easily.

His drives have increased every year, it’s just that his 3 point shooting has increased even more to go along with it. Throws off the percentage of shots at the rim.

How many drives per game is reasonable then? The most ANY player has done it per game since they have recorded the stat is like 21. Stopping players from getting to the basket is like the first tenant of any teams defense.

I mean let’s just take Harden out of it. Why aren’t other players getting to the basket more? What would prevent a player from getting to the basket every play? Skill, stamina and the defense they face.

Patience and HP3 like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Yes in game 5. And game 6 he was good as well, just did poorly late. Again for people who want a fair look at game 5 check Thinking Basketball on YouTube. Most teams do perform worse offensively inter POs. 114 vs an elite defense is good enough why is defense not important to you. Also the Jazz would lower anyone’s offensive rating.

Patience likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Haha thank you, will say @jordnnnn and @aelliott definetly contribute way more than me.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

No you didn't refute the distribution. I posted it. He shot a larger% of his shots at the rim in 2015.

I'm saying he should have lower usage (which would lower his overall drives while keeping him fresh) but take a higher percentage of his shots at the rim.

Also increase the pace, move more, play off ball more, have more ball movement. Limit the walking and the wasting of the shot clock. Basically what cp3 is saying

7. HP3

HP3 Member

I hear a lot about the pace argument, but you guys really want to get into a high pace ga e with GS, they run people out the building like that.!

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

well theres not many teams that could keep up with their scoring but houston happens to be one of them. I think last year they found a formula that obviously worked. the problem was it worked for that specific team and its personnel.

It seems they went to the extreme with it this year and it caught up to them, especially with the difference in personnel and harden's much higher usage. it also didn't help less contributions from players were key also.

HP3 likes this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

Hmmm that’s a good point, maybe it’d work.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

now I'm not saying it would but how many times have we heard guys in the huddle mics say lets get out and run. I would always get confused as to why we didn't see it done consistently. it's like they're conscious in wanting to do so but for whatever reason it doesn't happen. its strange. oh and the times that they do push the break, oh man its like everything you don't read in the textbooks happening :(

HP3 likes this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Dude...

Our back and forth started with you saying he doesn’t get to the rim as much and doesn’t finish as well.

Both are false. Just because the percentage decreased doesn’t mean the number of actual shots did. He’s taking more shots than he did back then and a larger percentage of those more shots are from 3. He is our most efficient scorer. More shots = good.

His ability to get off that many 3s at the % he does is a very good thing. It is infinitely easier to increase 3 point shot attempts than it is shots at the rim. He’s managed to do both every year.

I don’t understand this infatuation with the % of shots at the basket. Like I pointed out, we may have not seen the peak, but it seems pretty clear by leaguewide stats that there is some sort of cap on how many times a player can attack the basket per game. Harden has consistently been at or very near that cap for years now.

HP3 likes this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

You must have meant that 3 on 2(or 1 maybe can’t remember lol) in game 6. Even I was like what the hell was that haha.

13. Mr. Clutch

I think he should have a higher % of his shots at the rim because he's elite at the rim but not from 3. What's with the infatuation with the step back?

First of all his usage shouldn't be 40. That's ridiculous. Slowly walking it up and dribbling too much so he can have a high usage is a dumb strategy.

And he should lower his usage by shooting fewer step backs and that would make his distribution more like in 2015 when he was better.

He's really not a great 3pt shooter and in the playoffs he's borderline bad. Yet you want him to keep doing that instead of shooting at the rim? Why?

He used to drive first and shoot the step back 3 when guys played off him. Now it's the 3 to set up the drive, which I think is backwards

14. HP3

HP3 Member

He was not better in 2015, that is not true.

15. Mr. Clutch

Disagree.

HP3 likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

The numbers and level of competition would disagree thouuuuugh, alright fine lol.

17. Mr. Clutch

The numbers don't disagree though.

Not sure about competition. NBA got better in 4 years or something?

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I’m happy with his shots at the rim. I’m happy that every year here he has been able to somehow increase how many times he gets to the rim. I do not want him to stop shooting shots at the rim and I do not want him to stop increasing the number of shots at the rim if he can.

I have serious doubts that he is capable of getting many more shots at the rim than he does.

Hilarious side track as I’m typing this out... listening to the Simmons and Russillo pod....” I can’t stand when announcers say, you gotta take it to the basket more, gotta get to the basket more.....You can’t just get to the basket every play. Gonna get tired or foul out....”

Anyway as far as as 3 point shooting goes, in the regular season it’s great. The ability to shoot 15 some odd 3s at that percentage is crazy good.

I know history doesn’t back me and likely very few will agree, but I think his poor 3 point shooting in the playoffs is more fluke than anything.

HP3 likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea they do, and I explained that, on off impacts are definitely influenced by teammates.

YES, what, you dont think the Warriors getting 73 wins, THEN getting Kevin Durant is improving??? You dont think the Spurs(who we lost to that one year) winning 60 something games is improving??? The Jazz, who could probably beat that Dallas and Clipper team we faced is not improving??? The Wolves who added Jimmy Butler with Karl Anthony Towns is not improving. The Thunder with MVP Westbrook(he was significantly better in 2016/2017) is not improving. All those teams were much better than the ones we faced in 2015 barring the Warriors.

20. Mr. Clutch

Well like I said his usage should be lower. So I'm not just saying he should drive more on top of his ridiculous usage. I'm saying overall he should have a lower usage with his shots being weighted more to attacking the rim vs 3pt shots like it was in 2015.

I wish it was a fluke. But he hasn't shot well from 3 in the playoffs since 2015.