1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Decision Part 2?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

While the summer of 2014 is on the minds of many basketball fans, LeBron James said he hasn't even given it a thought. The Miami Heat superstar, who could headline next year's bumper crop of free agents, said at this point he doesn't know what he's going to do.

"I have absolutely no idea," James recently told ESPN.com. "I would love to spend the rest of my career in Miami with this great team and great organization as we continue to compete for championships. That's ideal. But we don't know what may happen from now to the end of the season. That's the nature of the business. It's the nature of not knowing what tomorrow brings.

"I mean, as a kid, I never thought the Bulls would break up. Never. If you'd of told me as a kid that [Michael] Jordan and [Scottie] Pippen wouldn't play together for the rest of their lives, I'd have looked at you crazy. And Phil Jackson wouldn't be the coach? I'd have looked at you crazy. But sometimes the nature of the business doesn't allow things to happen like you would want them to. But we'll see."

As James and the Heat go for their third straight championship this season, the question of whether James will opt out of his contract and become a free agent in July 2014 will hover over their pursuit. Several other superstars, including New York's Carmelo Anthony, the Lakers' Kobe Bryant and James' Heat teammates Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, also could be on the market. But James is by far the biggest prize of them all.

The Cleveland Cavaliers, the hometown team the Akron, Ohio, native famously left in 2010, are believed to be the Heat's stiffest competition when it comes to acquiring him in 2014. The Lakers, who could have enough salary cap room to sign two max free agents next summer, are viewed as a long-shot competitor for his services.

James understands he'll be asked about his potential free agency nearly every time he enters an opposing arena, but he said he'll keep his focus on leading the Heat to another title.

"I owe it to myself, I owe it my teammates and I owe it to the Miami Heat to stay focused," he said. "As a leader, I'm not even going to let that side of the business get me unfocused on what I'm trying to do and that's trying to win another championship.

"I'm going to try to [stop the discussion about free agency], but you always have reporters who are going to always bring it up. They're going to change the question and make it sound like something else. But it will get to a point, if I continue to hear it, where I will say, 'Hey guys, I've answered the question and out of respect, let's talk about this after the season."'

Pat Riley, the Heat president whose uncanny recruiting pitch landed James in 2010, would prefer his superstar make that statement sooner rather than later.

"Our stance is the same we had with Wade in 2010, that we're just going to play the season and not let that hang over our heads and become a distraction just because the media wants to get an answer on it every day," Riley told ESPN.com. "I don't know LeBron's stance. He'll probably say one time, 'I'll talk about it next year.' We haven't discussed it yet, but we will. I'll tell him the main thing is to make sure the main thing remains the main thing. And the main thing is to win the championship."

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/mia...mes-miami-heat-focused-season-not-free-agency

2. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Cool. So, Lebron James to Houston pretty much confirmed.

3. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Yup. March 4.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Go back to Cleveland...just for the lulz

5. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

If Lebron went back to Cleveland i wonder if Miami fans will still go to Heat games lol

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Everybody wants to play with Lin.

7. dragician

dragician Member

Get it dun Mooray!

8. dragician

dragician Member

Dwight
    LBJ
    Parsons
    Harden
    Moochie Norris.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'd rather have Kevin Durant on the rockets

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

ESPN will write a story about this every day until next summer.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So... Harden+Howard for Lebron?

12. hltiki

hltiki Member

uh.. no...

Lin for Lebron and Wade, straight up son!

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

We're to big of city for Labron! ;)

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

I dunno... he's gonna have to try out for us first.

15. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Take this with a grain of salt as I believe Chris Broussard is responsible for this report

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I believe Houston to be a legit contender for Lebron as long as H2H wants him. Admittedly that team is almost guaranteed a ring or 3. I believe Lebron will decline to go back to Cleveland. Too weird. He can go west and dominate for a few years. He can play PF and go for a triple double average.
    Next year...

Howard/Smith
    Lebron/Motiejunas
    Parsons/Garcia
    Harden/Williams
    Beverly/Canaan

17. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Lebron is too tall. Pass.

18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

First to say, Lebron back to Cavs, Wade will retire and Melo to the lakers.

Will not happen!!!!!!

19. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Me too. Don't want to ride Lebron's coattails, it would be like beating a video game using cheat codes...

20. PullUpJ

PullUpJ Member

Only 6'8...undersized power forward