1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The complexion of the NBA has changed and so must the Rockets.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ToothYanker, Apr 30, 2005.

1. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

I know the Rockets are an honorable team and the fans are respectful and loyal. However, I don't think that's going to cut it anymore if we want to win. Today's NBA is no longer the NBA of old where men fought on the hardwood and left it all out there. It's an NBA that increasingly reflects our litigious society where thieves sue their victims and parents sue public schools for things the parents themselves should be doing.

In today's NBA, it no longer takes a man to win. It takes a woman to win. Whiney vaginas like Dirk, Amare, etc...ostensible 7 foot muscle bound performance machines get blown away if a fan from the nosebleeds so much as passes gas. They whine and complain and you know what? They get the calls. Their organizations owners complain and you know what? They get the calls. Avery Johnson complains about 'refs swallowing their whistles" when his team had a 200% FT advangate and you know what? He still gets the call.

I'm not saying we should all cry and whine but I think some action to put pressure on the league to at least PRETEND to be unbiased is in order. I have written and sent a letter to the league office and I behoove the rest of you to do the same. know that officiating doesn't win or lose games but it sure can help if Yao no longer gets taken out of the game by the refs when The Toyota Center Ghost (TM) punches Dirk in the nose, or when TMAC gets horribly mugged and actually gets a call.

The league might trash our letters and they probably will but maybe one of them will get through. As a fan, a former YOF, but now a diehard ROF, I feel the least I can do is to take some time, write a few letters and support our players when their ownership, coach, GM, what have you, can't or won't do the same.

Mods, feel free to delete this thread if you think it pointless.

2. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Game 6. Toyota Center. Chant "floppers" every time Dallas has the ball (or at least Nowitzki).

Get it done.

Simple. Elegant. Would the TV/radio commentators say something about it? Would the refs hear it in the back of their minds? Would that finally make the NBA take notice?

Absolutely.

3. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

:D :D :D :D :D

4. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

5. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

6. Man

Man Contributing Member

Great idea someone start flopper chant!! haha I hope it gets heard that would be hilarious

This thread is great :D

7. smartxtai

smartxtai Contributing Member

didn't the rockets last year w/ francis, mobley, etc whine all game, every game? what good did it do then? nothing. we don't need to whine to win. the rockets can win the right way. as much as everyone wants to blame the referees for the rockets losses, it was the rockets inability to execute and make shots that cost them the game. not the referees

8. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

Thank you...quit blaming the refs. They make horrible calls for both teams. Lets just prey the trend continues and both teams continue to lose on their home courts.

9. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Not only are the Mavs floppers, they are BAD floppers.

I loved that sequence when Nowinsky bumps into Yao... two seconds passes... and THEN Nowinsky jerks his head back.

I thought Rick Rox was the only bac actor in the NBA.

10. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Let's see, two bad calls on Yao, one against Howard, one against Handerson. Two bad calls against two, are we even? You see the impact.

11. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

You know, I don't even have to look at any stats to or even results of a game to know that Tracy is a man and Dirk is a little b****. When Tracy got that HUGE bump from dirk on the screen and roll, he fought to stay on his feet and kept possesion of the ball while staring at the ref wondering why there was no call. When Dirk gets even grazed, he would just throw himself on the floor, lose the ball, flail his arms, and dare the refs not to make the call. THAT is the biggest difference between a whinning b**** and a man who fights for his wins. I respect Tracy for not losing it, and Yao too because I saw how pissed he was when he got called on the Dirk drive. Dirk had NOWHERE to go and he just threw his body into Yao. I never seen Yao so pissed after a play, and I'm glad to know he has it in him. I still expect to see great thing in the series, and even if they don't win I can at least say my team don't play like little b****es.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

great post

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

oops. . .u must be new around here

If SF and company did it. . NO MATTER WHAT . .it was bad
    If TMac and Co do it . .. the exact same thing .. .it is Good

Simple Rules of the New BBS

Rocket River

14. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

What does it prosper a man to gain the whole world, but lose his soul?

I think you are forgetting a key fact here: the NBA is a BUSINESS that is in it for the money, not for ethical considerations or to be "righteous" and give to everyone what he deserves.

If you are wondering why the NBA has steadily lost its fan base over the past years, it's because the older fans are losing touch with the league, they can't relate anymore.

Luckily for the league, they are building a new fan base, with players who care more about the bling-bling and the hot cars and the tattoos and lack that elusive work ethic and team work that used to characterize the league of past decades. Today's culture is the SportsCenter culture, it is the culture of showmanship and individuality.

The current NBA reflects today's youth culture: a lot of flash and no much content.

And Stern couldn't be happier

15. 4cwebb

4cwebb Contributing Member

I just joined this forum, mainly because I used to live in Dallas and I followed the Mavs (although they aren't my favorite team). This series is the best to follow from an NBA fan's perspective in the first round of the playoffs.

With that aside, as my moniker may indicate, I'm a Chris Webber fan, so I've followed the Kings for the past few years. As such, I've had ample opportunity to observe Dirk in the playoffs. That guy learned from Vlade that perception is reality in the NBA playoffs, and by last year, Dirk clearly rivaled Vlade for best Euro flopper on the floor in the Kings vs. Mavs playoff series. It was often comical to watch the two of them compete as Dirk would often guard Vlade, and both of them would be flipping and flopping all over the place.

So, Dirk has honed his craft, and if this is the first time Rockets' fans are getting a taste of this behavior, it's certainly tough to swallow, but the refs reward the acting, and have been doing so for a number of years. Another good example is Kobe, imho. If you listen closely to televised games, each and every time Kobe goes to the basket, he making noise as if he's getting hit somewhere in attempting to take a shot, and often times, the refs reward the acting when there was in fact no foul.

At this point, may as well just accept it. Probably time for Yao to start flopping around when Dampier bodies him up in the post. Might result in a few extra free throws. TMac could do the same on his slashes to the basket. Unfortunately, no other Rocket does much other than shoot jumpers, so it's hard for them to do any acting...

16. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

If the NBA is a business then I don't understand why the calls are so uneven.

1 Billion people in China actually give a **** about this game.

Looks like:
    Cuban whining > than 1 billion in China.

17. Man

Man Contributing Member

Yeah Chinese fans must be complaining, but I don't hear them. I don't think teh refs hear them. It's horrible.

18. 4cwebb

4cwebb Contributing Member

Plus, I doubt any Chinese fans sent a video to the league office following game 3 (like Cuban did, or at least that it was TNT reported).

19. almostReady

almostReady Member

I am starting to lose interest in basketball games. I think this game is fundamentally flawed. Because again and again, it appears that a ref can easily, I mean EASILY, add or remove 10+ points from either team in a game.

How to do that? Easy, calling two fouls on a key player in first quarter; calling several charges (or instead, score and 1); calling a foul during a team's run to kill the momentum; calling (or not calling a foul in the crunch time); or a combination of them, etc, etc. Most of the time, they can put up those sh** without getting caught.

Now considering how many games are decided by less then 10 points, and how easily the refs can alter the score. It's disgusting.

I will still watch the game, but I don't really care it that much as before.

20. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

The power of the "Chinese fans" is overestimated. Besides TV viewership in China, the average Chinese just doesn't have the kind of disposable income to usher in a new age of "prosperity" in the NBA.

Their purchasing power is not all that big, despite their large numbers.

What was Yao's jersey sales ranking? 15 or something? Of course, if they count counterfeit jerseys for Yao, that would easily make him number 1:D