1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

The Chandler Parsons contract proves my prediction that moneyball would end in failure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Jul 11, 2014.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You should get banned for that, totally uncalled for.

2. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Beverly-Harden-Parsons-Bosh-Howard lineup was pretty much a done deal before Riley panicked, threw more money than deserved at Bosh and changed his mind.

That would have been the best Starting 5 in the NBA. Would you have still posted this?

3. CertifiedTroll

If you are writing articles you are way too involved to make such a dumb mistake.. Write off fact, not emotion.

4. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Too far man, too far..

5. Remii

Remii Member

Gosh darn it...!!! I just threw away a couple of minutes of my life reading this 5h1t. I'm all for smacking Morey upside the back of his head today but you really swung in miss.

And no one has won a championship by using the moneyball approach of choosing analytics over the tape _ so there is really nothing for you to prove.

6. Jet036

Jet036 Member

This - and:

1. We were 5th in the league last season
    2. We have 2 of the best players in the league and are still WAY under the cap.

Horrible thread

7. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Would you be willing to manage my assets and finances JCDenton?

Serious.
    This guy just gets it. I have a graph in mind to illustrate your points. Valuable ideas and information given here

8. the shark

the shark Member

You've obviously been hanging out with Paulftsk. Your "groundbreaking" essay and "you brilliantly predicted"? You're a legend in our own mind!!

9. Sherlock31

Sherlock31 Member

We got rid of LOF, and now we get MOH...............

10. 34to11

34to11 Member

This may be the most pompous piece of self-aggrandizing twaddle I have ever read in all my days of visiting clutchfans.

Your premise is fundamentally flawed and your conclusions are irrationally assumptive.
    Stop riding your own jock and claiming the fallout of happenstance as your personal victory.

Try again when you have something substantive to share because right now you are fooling no one but minions and morons.

11. flusched

flusched Member

Too full of JCDenton

I liked your post, but a little humility can go a long ways. Your introduction bragging about how smart you are will automatically turn people off from whatever you have to say. I started a similar thread about Morey's organization that was even less well received than yours. My focus is on the intangibles that can't be measured.

It's all about assessing talent, and creating balance. I've had a wait and see attitude, but I think the jury is in on Morey's organization. It's no better at assessing talent and creating balance than the average GM. It's too much in the head and not enough in the heart.

I liked blowing up the team and starting over.
    The start was good. Parsons, Harden, Lin, Asik, Beverley, and Smith and we went 7 games against OKC in the playoffs.

We were a higher seed with Howard, but we would have been a higher seed without him just due to another year with the same guys playing together, and the development of Jones. Continuity has a value that can't be measured. It's chemistry. It's guys caring about each other.

San Antonio wins because it has continuity. Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili have never played for another team. SA properly assess talent and maintain balance.

Having a team to root for starts with having an intelligent front office. And an intellect without heart is not an intelligent. Houston has no heart. It has no soul. It's not smart.

12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

[​IMG]

What a shame.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You will most definitely get flamed for this (primarily because of all of the butt hurt from the past 24 hours) but as I see it, all you are doing is offering a look at the flip side of the Morey Moneyball philosophy. It's baically high stakes poker and when you play that game, you have to be prepared for all eventualities and Morey simply wasn't prepared for a fool like Mark Cuban or the possibility of Bosh getting a max contract from the Heat.

I give Morey a pass of Cuban because he simply didn't understand how desperate Cuban was to have something to show for another wasted offseason. But in hindsight, the Bosh situation should have been a consideration from the start because if LeBron was to bolt from Miami then there would be nothing to stop the Heat from offering Bosh the max. I believe that Morey (along with everyone else) erroneously took it as a given that if LeBron left, then so would Bosh - a position which blinded him to this possibility.

Unfortunately for Morey, he came to play Moneyball when the game was really Texas Hold 'em.

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I regret my post. I don't want you to kill yourself. I don't want anybody to do that. We are fellow Rockets fans (I think), so, my apologies for losing my cool.

15. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

This is exactly my point. Morey could have tried to build a team this offseason but instead indulged his gambling addiction. We could have kept Parsons for less than a million and used the outgoing salaries of Lin and Asik to upgrade positions of need. We would have been a true championship contender.

Instead Morey took huge gambles on contingencies that weren't very likely to happen. Getting Bosh or Melo and having a weak bench (and possibly not being able to afford Parsons) wasn't going to get us a title. Morey has had the worst offseason of any GM outside of Pat Riley.

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

5 stars for trying...

17. BigBum

BigBum Member

I read a lot. Tilman expect him to win champ this year.
    If losing record in January, mda is done.

18. Asian Sensation

What’s with all these new member bums necrobumping threads

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

What hell are you babbling about now?

Does your comment have anything whatsover to do with this shitty thread you bumped?

20. lurgar

lurgar Member

Lookit all those crazy ass tags

nemac likes this.