1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The case for keeping Kubiak

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bandwagoner, Nov 21, 2010.

1. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Having Walter miss a wide open deep ball looking back into the sun happens. Hey, it happens. Having Schaub slightly underthrow AJ so that he doesn't have a real shot at it can happen. But it happens a whole heck of a lot. And when you combine stuff that is realistically out of the HCs control, with a laundry list of stuff that is, it all comes down to the coach.

It's not the players fault that he doesn't call a timeout after a nice play with 20 seconds left forcing the team to spike it at 7 seconds and time for just one play. It's not the players fault that the script to start the game never seems to do well, or in some plays results in the only points of the half. They don't come up with the gameplan. It's not the players fault that the defensive coaches constantly have them in a base vanilla defense that peewee league teams run. They find their spot on the field and do what they are told to do.

It's not the players' fault that Kubes keeps calling fancy pass plays when a simple rushing attack is what is called for AND effective.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If the Texans finish 4-12, Kubiak is gone. I promise.

Who should hire the new defensive staff since you don't hold Kubiak responsible for the current pathetic one he has now? A head coach that can't put a decent staff together on both sides shouldn't be a head coach. How hard is that to understand?

Why would it take a "surefire" better coach to make you want to dump Kubiak? If you want mediocrity, keep the coach that has delivered 5 straight years of it. That's his competence level.

Kubiak is your version of a teflon man. Give him praise for the offense and absolve him from the defense. Very selective eyesight. It is so obvious his place is to be an OC instead of a head coach.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They are 6th in first downs in the NFL.

Having the lead at halftime might be easier if their defense had not given up an average of 16.5 points in the first half and a low of 13 in the last 6 games.

4. Bandwagoner

Whoever replaces rick Smith.

because I want to win ASAP and I think with a decent or average GM and D. C., gary can do it.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Kubiak has the title Head Coach but he's acting like the Offensive Coordinator instead. And like someone said, you've gulped the Kool-Aid by excusing Kubiak from responsibility of the defense. It is totally ridiculous to do so. Selective accountability.

6. Bandwagoner

So which players, offense or defense do you believe he has more say in?

Look, i think there is no shot in hell Kubiak stays while Rick smith leaves. the most likely scenario is the defensive coordinator gets fired.

I am saying, the best chance to win next year, is get a better GM and a big name DC.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Guy, Kubiak has say so on both sides of the ball. He is the HEAD COACH!!! Do you read me? This discussion is unbelievable. You are really out there.

Do you at least agree that Rick Smith was hired because Kubiak wanted him (because of their prior ties)? The point is Kubiak's fingers are over everything wrong with this team (GM and DC included). Trying to credit him for the offense and clear him from the GM and defensive shortcomings is pure failure to be reasonable.

The best chance to turn this team around is to hire a competent head coach. The Texans would very likely be an example of a 10-loss team rebounding to make the playoffs. That kind of turnaround ain't happening with Kubiak as head guy. 5 years of mediocrity or worse prove that. Only way Kubiak should stay is to accept a demotion to OC (and we all know that ain't gonna happen). This is basically what you are calling for in an indirect way (new GM and "big name" new DC). You just won't admit it.

8. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

^^

Save your breath. The OP has shown he has absolutely ZERO knowledge other than that of female menstrual cycles. Why is he even making a thread about football related topics when he has shown (time and time again) that he has never played the game competitively?

This chick be crazy. Let this stupid-ass thread die, already. CaseyH, you are an embarrassment to men everywhere.

(insert lame insult in next post)...go ahead CASEY H....we all know it's coming
    :rolleyes:

9. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Piling first downs is a natural occurrence of a dominant run game, and the Texans have shown they can keep a drive going if they get that rhythm going. And I agree that sustaining a lead is impossible with this defense. My assertion was that when the the OP says that "the offense is not the problem." that he's wrong. It's just dwarfed by the problem on the other side of the ball.

By my saying that they should be leading going into the half, I tried to say that this offense should be putting points up with regularity. Here's how many points they've scored in the first half of every game, and the number of scoring drives in the first half of every game. Multiple scores in the first half of only 3 games and scoring on 27% of your possessions (which honestly is skewed heavily positively by 2 good games and skewed negatively by end of halves) doesn't sound good for an offensive minded team or offensive "guru" of a coach. Of course you have to take into account the consistently bad field position, and the good defenses in DAL, KC, NYG and NYJ, but a good coach finds holes and exploits them. And putting up only 3 on Jacksonville in a half is just pathetic.

Indy - 13 points, 3/6 scoring drives
    @Was -7 points, 1/5 scoring drives
    Dallas - 3 points, 1/3 scoring drives
    @ Oak - 14 points, 2/7 scoring drives
    NYG - 3 points, 1/7 scoring drives
    KC - 7 points, 1/5 scoring drives
    @Indy - 3 points, 1/7 scoring drives
    SD - 20 points, 4/5 scoring drives
    @JAX - 3 points, 1/5 scoring drives
    @NYJ - 7 points, 1/6 scoring drives

10. Bandwagoner

THE problem usually indicates the largest problem and the reason you are losing. I think it is pretty obvious what THE problem is. Lack of a defense.

They have scored more points in the second half of games most of the time and scored more than 22 other teams in the NFL. Complaining about the offense is silly.

Moes complaining that they ran the ball 3 times is just dumb though. This team has the most rushing TDs in the NFL.

11. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

It boggles the mind right? He's a decent offensive coach, but it's not like he's in another class to deserve to be kept. Personally, I'm not going by this season alone. It's 5 years of mediocrity and Kubiak has to be accountable.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No, it's not. I can evaluate the offense. It's fine. It's good, actually. I'd argue the talent on that side of the ball is not being fully utilized, actually.

But Kubiak isn't merely a coordinator. He's head coach. He's a head coach who hired his own GM. Earlier you said he's "saddled" with a bad GM.

He's not saddled with him...Rick is just along for the ride. This is Kubiak's team through and through. He's chosen the talent...the schemes...the personnel...and he makes game time decisions too. And the final product stinks.

This organization needs deep deep change. A new culture, entirely.

13. conquistador#11

We just got to keep battling, give our kids on the defensive side a chance. They've played well and have done everything we've asked him to do. Those kids will eventually stop falling and slipping, I have all the confidence in the world.
    Frank Bush is doing a great job, this one is on me Gosh.

14. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

::kubiak voice::: This one is on me....sorry that my corners cannot cover crossing routes, its on me guy::kubiak voice::

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

I keep hearing echoes of Cecil Cooper repeatedly saying "I guarantee this will never happen again."

17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Completely false.

Ignoring Foster against the Colts. Bad call.

Not knowing what you are going to do on 4th when/if your late game 3rd down play fails. Bad.

Not knowing how many freakin yards you actually need when you decide to go for 4th down. Bad.

Not bothering to try and get field goals at the end of a half. Bad.

Throwing to the middle of the field with not enough time to kick your FG. Bad.

Calling a halfback pass with Chris Brown on the goal line. Bad.

etc, etc.

If you can't grasp that this team is simply poorly managed from top to bottom right now, you are in denial.

18. Landlord Landry

well, what was the problem last year then....the texans had one of the better defenses in the league.

and the year before, and the year before......???

there is no case for keeping Kubiak. new year, same results. time for a change. it's not just frank bush.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hiring the inexperienced Frank Bush instead of a proven defensive coordinator- bad.

Seriously, if the defense was merely mediocre, rather than dead last, this would be a pretty good team.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yeah reading through the posts reminded me that Kubiak has complete control over the personnel decisions of this team. How many rookie head coaches are given that autonomy, especially rookie head coaches that was turned down for the same job earlier?