1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Biggest Overachievers and Underachievers of 2017-18 NBA Season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ballscientist1, Apr 12, 2018.

1. ballscientist1

My picks:

No. 1 Overachiever: Spurs - without Kawhi, everyone looks like 40 years old
    No. 2 Overachiever: Jazz - lose Hayward still win
    No. 3 Overachiever: Raptors - win more games than Warriors.

No. 1 Underachiever: Clippers - spend 30+ million in GMs/Coaches, all-time record? the best gm/coaches of all time?
    No. 2 Underachiever: Nuggets - Jokic is is a certified star?
    No. 3 Underachiever: Hornets - The talent and continuity just aren't where the team need them to be

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Overachievers - Pacers (lose Paul George, end up with 48 wins)
    Underachievers - Thunder (gain 2 “stars”, one more win than last year)

cerophilik and roslolian like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

How is Denver an underachiever? Their main core is very young, and their big money acquisition Paul Millsap missed most of the season. They still managed to win 46 games which was a 6 game improvement over last season yet u have them as the 2nd biggest underachiever in the NBA? Huh?

4. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Clippers got the injury bug (again) to be fair.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

biggest overachievers

1. Indiana - there was no way in hell I thought they would ever win 48 games...I thought they'd be scouting lottery prospects, not preparing for a playoff series

2. Boston - I thought they'd be a low-mid playoff seed after Hayward went down...Kyrie played in just 60 games, and they managed to go 14-8 without him...Brad Stevens deserves COY for the job he's done

3. Utah - finished 48-34 after losing Hayward and starting the season 19-28...Donovan Mitchell was a huge surprise

honorable mention: New Orleans - I didn't think they'd make the playoffs after Boogie went down...they finished the season 21-13 without him and made the playoffs as the 6th seed in the West

biggest underachievers

1. Washington - John Wall and Bradley Beal can’t get u better than the 8th seed in the East? John Wall only played in 41 games, but they were just 26-22 when he went down and were 23-18 overall with him in the lineup this season.

2. Milwaukee - When will Giannis’s production lead the Bucks to more than just a low playoff seed? A team with that much length should not be ranked 17th defensively.

3. OKC - Russ averaged another triple double, and they added Paul George to the roster, yet they only finished with 1 more win than last season. A team that features Russ, PG, Melo, and Steven Adams should do better than 48 wins. If u replaced Russ with Harden, u could add at least 10 more wins to that win total.

honorable mention: I guess I’ll go with the Cavs although they did finish the season strong. They were a joke for awhile, and finishing 29th on defense right ahead of PHX? C’mon now...

BigMaloe and durvasa like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don
    I'm not sure the Clippers goal is to win games right now. Winning isn't always the priority in the NBA. Maybe I'm being overly critical, but even with the injury to Butler I feel like the Wolves should have finished better (and be a better team).