1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Big Negative of Integration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Apr 4, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Was watching Louis Henry Gatess Black in America on PBS last night. One of his guests talked about middle class blacks moving away from black communities. They talked about how poor blacks no longer have role models. The neighborhoods are all poor families and obviously that brings a lot of dysfunctionality.

When I talk about blacks taking responsibility for our problems that's what I'm referring to.

Middle class educted blacks have to help poor blacks. Government can only do so much

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

What the ****, are you drunk? You even misspelled educated.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I guess Louis Henry Gatess was drunk

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Do most middle class American (any race) want to live in poor neighborhoods? I doubt middle class African Americans want their kids to grow up in poor neighborhoods where they have to constantly worry about drug and crimes, they can do out reach to those living poor neighborhoods, but I doubt you will get them to live there.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My parents are from before Integration. My dad always talks about how there a lot fewer black businesses. An unintended consequence

Also Gatess and his guests went further. Ghettos are an unintended consequence because there was no separation of black income classes. You didn't have such a concentration of just poor people

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Who say thing about moving to the ghetto. We will just let them be gentrified.

But seriously taking more responsibility is not going back in time. What's done is done. There are things that can done by blacks to help poor blacks

#6 pgabriel, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That is most definitely true. I do not know about African American community, but where I live the Chinese community have multiple Chinese language and art classes offered by various groups. There are also other school subject help lessons offered by various parents. As far as I know, every kid around here is expected to go to college and get a BA at least, advanced degrees are very common, it does not matter if the parents are working as waiters in Chinese restaurants or college professors.

IBTL likes this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Same with most first generation immigrant communities. It's obvious that as soon as they get here they are all about getting jobs, putting their kids in school to get higher education and eventually start a business. Could it be complacency of American culture? I live in a neighborhood that used to be 50% White, 30% black, 20% asian/hispanic. the majority of the blacks and whites have moved to the suburbs white immigrant vietnamese and hispanics started replacing them. I'd say about 10 year later small businesses started popping up all around.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Was the guest saying the middle class family was a role model to the lower class family? If so did he explain why them moving out wasn't seen as something to emulate or aspire to? If not, what role model was he talking about?

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How are you gonna move out if you're poor?

The big picture is everyone was not poor. Now everyone is. It's not just about rich and poor the entire dynamic of black areas was changed. Middle class leaves so do businesses so forth and so on. Its more complex than that but that is the point.

Your question is more relevant to the period before Integration

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Are you middle class? Are you helping poor blacks?

IBTL likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Honest questions here....

I am confused about the term role model in the context you have explained. I assume the middle class blacks living in the poor neighborhoods were the role models the guest was referring to. Role models tend to be defined as someone you aspire to be...someone who is setting a good example.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Do middle class and rich white people reach out to help poor whites?

JeffB, ApolloRLB and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Let me fix that for you.

And we do, by voting against the racist and bigoted politicians which have currently seized control of our political system.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Did you turn into an alcoholic these last couple of years. Your posts have changed SO much

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

English isn't his first language

это не так, товарищ
    :)

Rocket River

Kim and B-Bob like this.
  17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I don't know about you guys, but all my life decisions are based on what my neighbors do.

Deckard, Buck Turgidson and bobrek like this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BTW - The Guest is full of **** and everyone who thinks like him is too

Poor black people don't need role models. . .they need jobs . . .

Rocket River

Deckard and Rashmon like this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

John are gonna increase graduation rates. You're buying your head in the sand. Only a foot would argue the ghetto isn't dysfunctional.

Hispanics come here poor and create jobs. We don't. We did before Integration

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The ghetto has been around long before Trump.