1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

The Battle of Berkeley

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Apr 15, 2017.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

No Worries likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It seems as if every white male adolescent suburbanite is succumbing to this 'alt-right' movement.

Let's hope it's just a phase.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not an attack, I just wonder whats the story behind the avatar? And Its not an attack on you, but I often am confused by your stances.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This video is probably better in the "Is the left helping Trump unwittingly?" thread because it's a perfect example of that. Unhinged fools like this Yvette Felarca nutjob are doing exactly that. It's REALLY hard to make people like Donald Trump or Milo Yiannopoulos sympathetic characters, but people like her manage to pull it off.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Story? My avatar is a Smug Pepe with a Rockets hat. It's largely how I feel about this season when looking at how everyone else wrote off our team at the beginning of the season.

7. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Antifa is pretty bad... and so is BAMN.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting they offered her to reschedule and she declined.

NY Times had a great article about this. Most leaders on the left (including hard left like Sanders and Warren) are ridiculing these students trying to close off conservative view points. I do think it's funny that Ann Coulter is jumping on the bandwagon and trying to milk this for all the PR buzz she can to keep her brand in the spotlight.

dobro1229 likes this.
  11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Racism, hatred, and bigotry aren't conservative viewpoints, they're the tools of conservative politics. It's an important distinction.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447075/ann-coulter-berkeley-mob-wins-threats-violence

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

Not sure how you are so in touch with white male adolescents. Seems a little creepy.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While I think free speech includes having to listen to views that conflict with your own, I also think there are reasonable limits to "free" speech (eg, you do not have the "right" to yell fire in a crowded theater) and universities have a primary responsibility to ensure the safety of its students above all else. I also think Coulter (like Milo) is exploiting the concept of free speech in order to spout her uninteresting and often offensive babble. If it were my decision I would have allowed the speech, beefed up security, and not added to the the attention spent on her, lets not ignore that Coulter is completely innocent here...

Coulter: I'd like to see 'a little more violence' from Trump supporters
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...like-to-see-a-little-more-violence-from-trump

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's interesting to pay attention to the leadership responses to these situations. Bernie and Warren publicly have said Let her speak. Most liberals I know hate the stupid Berkeley kids and think they just listened to one too many Rage Against the Machine albums and don't really get what protesting for our right to free speech and freedom in general is really about.

Yet you have FoxNews and right wing idea pushers constantly trying to pull this small group of anarchist pimple faced losers out of a video clip and say "These are "the Liberals"...Everyone you know that voted for Hillary... this is who they are".

On the other hand I'd like to ask what Donald Trumps response would be if the shoe was on the other foot?

What if Rosie O'Donnell was giving an anti Trump speech at Duke and the Alt Right was protesting in a way that was concerning for safety??

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You say that like Berkley is some lone isolated incident. Conservative/Republican speakers face this from liberals at many colleges. And its not just the college kids trying to use force to control speech. It has for a long time been a liberal position to try and force the opposition from being heard. Code Pink, Black Lives Matter, Occupy Wall Street, etc. All of them try to shut down speech.

#216 tallanvor, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

This is not typical but maybe security would be beefed up and law enforcement would participate.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

When colleges don't protest conservative speakers and faculty
    http://www.americanthinker.com/blog...rotest_conservative_speakers_and_faculty.html

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Make no mistake, this is the ONLY reason she's inserting herself into all of this silliness.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

What are the Vegas odds on who the next one will be?