1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] Rockets Film Room: Russell Westbrook is Houston’s ‘5%,’ plus preseason clips

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nook, D-rock and Vivi like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Interesting defensive tidbit. cc @heypartner

Defensive Identity
    Training camp is divided into two half-courts. One side works with assistant coach Brent Gunning on offensive sets and actions, while the other works with defensive coordinator Elston Turner on the new scheme he is introducing.

We’ll have to wait a few more games until there is a better idea of the base scheme and coverage Houston will employ. From the looks of it at training camp and in the first preseason game, they will be switching less and placing Clint Capela in drop coverage, mixing in ICE (forcing the ball handler towards the sideline). If you play NBA 2K, think of a hybrid stay-home-and-shrink-the-floor defense as a good basic visual.

But players have pointed out that this defensive system is team-based, dependent upon communication. All five players are emphasized, with no one player more important than the others. During the first two days of training camp, the team extensively focused on how to communicate through different situations, where to position themselves on rotations, timely help from the weak side, and splitting the difference to shooters.

luckyman76, Nook, carib and 8 others like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Maybe Clemons is destined for more than the 2-way. Another excerpt:

D’Antoni praised Clemons’ growth and development on Monday night.

“Chris has been good the whole time. Good in summer league. Good now. I think he has a chance (at making the team). Real good chance,” he said. “If he scores like that, plays that hard, that strong, that quick, that explosive. Has a good chance.”

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Hmm, gonna be honest, Im skeptical of getting rid of the switch scheme. I think it's alot easier for our players to communicate defensively. But I donno, I guess we dont choice if our rebounding is gonna tank that badly as a result.

D-rock, BaselineFade and Mathloom like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Maybe Blossomgame for a 2-way? (assuming Clemons MAKES the roster). Another excerpt

Jaron Blossomgame has impressed in training camp. His body type is what the front office is seeking: lengthy, strong, quick and athletic. Multiple coaches have raved about this play, and he has a good chance at earning one of the Rockets’ two 2-way contracts.

Nook, Vivi, Deckard and 8 others like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

More excerpts:

Houston’s offense this season will look similar to the 2016-17 Rockets team. Expect a hard emphasis on pace and quick hitters (one pass or one read transition plays) by the coaches. Much of their half-court offense will look similar to previous seasons under D’Antoni, with the usual 21 series, Spain pick-and-roll, and delay actions readily employed.

Expect Danuel House to be utilized more this season as a screener and secondary creator. In training camp, they’ve placed him in positions to come off curl action and either score at the rim or pass to a weak-side shooter.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't read the Athletic but assume there's a lot in the article about DMo's pending move back to the Rockets?

harold bingo and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Negative.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

What I gathered from this tidbit is defense will start to work after all-star break, at the earliest.

iconoclastic and ico4498 like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am disappoint

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So Blossomgame could get a 2-way spot (along with Ponds).

And Chris Clemons has a shot to get the final Rockets roster spot ahead of McLemore & Frazier.

Williamson and FLASH21 like this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

Awesome, lots of stuff that was pointed out by several people here. Like Clemons impressing, Blossomgame looking decent, House’s role and the less switching defense. Thank the heavens for Turner!

That all switch defense still haunts my dreams as it put Nene on Curry and kept Nene out of the game when we needed rebounding. That was a complete coaching failure and largely falls on Bzdelik, but also Mike.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

the switch everything defense was proven to be a top 5 capable defense. lets see what happens if these changes becomes actually true. it was put in place mostly for the way GS was constructed in the first place. I guess now that KD is gone, there's a bit of room to alter it a bit

Nook, HP3, dmoneybangbang and 3 others like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Keeping the C at the rim doesn't play to Capela's strengths. He will struggle and of course half the board will sh*t on him for it.

I am not optimistic about being a top 5 defensive team with Harden and WB starting. Hope I'm wrong.

HP3 and harold bingo like this.
  15. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Why? Being in a drop coverage more means he will be able to secure defensive rebounds and not be switched onto perimeter guards, which he was bad at last year. They are doing this partially to play to his strengths.

16. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I thought that the biggest downside to not switching is giving up more open 3’s. We smothered GS and everyone else in 17-18 with that scheme and rebounding was not an issue.

I guess we have to abandon it in order to get rebounds, but we may have to sacrifice giving up wide open 3’s in the process. I really want to see it vs GS. If Clint’s man goes to set a pick for Steph and Clint doesn’t switch isn’t that instant death vs elite shooting teams? This is the price that has to be paid for not adding length and rebounding to our front court the past 2 off seasons.

HP3 and RichieBanks like this.
  17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Media already buying into Tilman's book

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

There’s very few players in the league who can burn you when you employ a more traditional fight-thru-the-screens defensive strategy. Curry, Harden, Klay, Lillard, that’s about it.

Switching everything worked like a charm when there was absolute team cohesion with our CP3-Ariza-Tucker-Harden-Capela unit, but last year it absolutely fell apart. First, you had new rotation pieces (and this flabby statue named Carmelo) who didn’t show hard enough on the switches and allowed their perimeter guys to split the two defenders with ease. Then you had Capela who previously could lock down Curry on the perimeter in the playoffs suddenly lose that ability entirely.

The good thing about switching was that it allowed us to sit Harden’s ass in the paint where he proved an immovable force. If they wanna go back to Capela there, were going to have to ask Harden (and WB) to actually have some court awareness and not allow all the backcuts they usually do.

19. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ding ding ding. With gsw not the same I dont think.we need it as much. We will still use it tho

D-rock likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Thank god for less switching. I feel like switching can only be done well when you have 3 guys who could defend everyone but we kept switching even if the only elite defender we had last year was PJ Tucker.

D-rock likes this.