1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] D'Antoni unlikely to return

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 9, 2019.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Mike Dantoni has bad in game substitution.

Small Rotation in the Playoffs, never trust Rookies(Montrezl Harrell on the bench) 2015 vs Spurs, would rather play a 7 man rotation. And he stupidly did.

And wore out James Harden year after year.

Alot of Collapses defensively, the last 2 seasons in the 4th Quarter. Never likes Timeouts during a Collapse. Spurs, Heat this season and many more games.

Mike Dantoni is a one way coach.

Everyone blamed Mike Dantoni during Playoff Collapse year after year.

Referees are to blame also.

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I agree. A lot of fans don’t understand. There’s a rhyme and reason for MDAs system. Ugly at times yes. Unbearable to watch at times yes. Flawed perhaps sure. But undoubtedly MDA knows how to score and to put players in position to score a lot of points. This system made harden a better overall player and we can thank MDA for it. I posted couple weeks ago how harden was a terrible high screen and roll player and played mostly off ball screens and attacking from the wings etc. since playing for MDA he’s refined this aspect of his game in perfecting the high screen and roll/dribble drive penetration with quick sound decision making in the paint. So thank you MDA.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

And he's yet to come up with any kind of defense at all.

4. Nook

Nook Member

If the Rockets owner and front office do not think that this team can win a title, then the owner was extremely stupid to trade for Westbrook and attach all those assets. From what I have been told, the owner is operating under the illusion that his team has a good chance at winning the title.

As far as the next Rockets coach, I wouldn't sleep on David Fizdale. The Rockets GM was a big fan of his in the past and regardless of the Knicks situation, he is known as tough but having good relationships with his players.

5. Nook

Nook Member

This.

NBA teams do not need a baby sitter, but a coach that is very good at one side of the ball or at a minimum can get assistants that are.

Lue isn't particularly good at anything.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

They have been a top 10 defense..... I don't think the offense or the defense is the issue.

The Rockets and MDA haven't won a title..... they lost one or two titles running into the Warriors.

The reality is that the game is constantly changing, and if the GM thinks the Rockets need a new vision, so be it.

If it is just a frustrated red neck owner...... well, he can go fly a kite.

lionaire, joshuaao, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

TAKE THAT FOR DATA as the head coach of the Rockets.

Hook that up to my veins.

Nook likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty absurd article.

Of course we keep changing If we don’t win a ring. It has been that way for the last 12 years.

If Mike can’t win, Mike can get to steppin...

smp likes this.
  9. amaru

amaru Member

Pop ain't letting her go lol

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Fans often overrate coaches. Bad coaches may screw your team but most coaches are pretty neutral in terms of wins. Pop may be the lone modern exception and much of it has to do with his reputation and stability in SA too.

While MDA is a great coach I dont think the Rockets will somehow be worse if someone like Ty Lue were to come in. The Raptors replaced their coy and replaced him with Nick Nurse, the guy who just a few years ago coached the RGV for us, and won it all and he looks like a genius these days. If you have a coach that can reach players and buys into the organizational philosophy then that coach will succeed here. It doesn't have to be MDA.

Personally I care much, much more about Tilman not spending into the luxury tax to provide more depth for this team than him pennypinching on a coach next year

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Mike Dantoni = Don Nelson

Don Nelson scored alot of points, but he was a bad on defense as a Coach.

Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Michael Finley
    Scored alot of points but it isnt Championship style of basketball.

Can the Rockets find another Rick Carlisle.
    Rick Carlisle beat the Miami Heat of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh
    With Jason Terry, Dirk Nowitzki leading the scoring, Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion supporting.

12. bmelo

bmelo Member

Thank god

13. TimDuncanDonaut

The Nelie to MDA comparison is ok if we only count Nelie's latter part of his coaching career. Agree to that extent. He and MDA are players oriented / friendly, which suits today's NBA superstar climate.

Nelie's 10 years with the Bucks was that he was a well reputable Defensive coach. He went offensive in Dallas and GSW, because he saw the game evolving, and carved a niche. Nelie going offense oriented was a choice, not because he couldn't coach the defensive side.

That 2007 year Dallas #1 seed where Dirk got bounced out by GSW 8th seed Stephen Jackson was very much due to Nelie (at GSW that point) knowing Dirk's weakness.

On offense, He and MDA were ahead of their time .

One can rightfully argue that it didn't take to the promise land. Lot of pieces have to fall on the road to a championship.

#113 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  14. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Okay. I defy you to show me one idiotic Ty Lue decision.

Edit: It’s so easy to be stupid in the face of someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Always amazes me.

You have almost definitely never watched that entire Cleveland Cavs era as a team and of the court as closely as I did but you come away calling Lue an idiot because...it’s popular among fans?

15. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

https://theathletic.com/63541/2017/05/29/tyronn-lue-drawing-up-winners-for-cavs-at-crucial-times/

The Cavs literally had the best playoff offense EVER for from 2015-17.

It’s clear none of you know anything about him outside whatever the hell horeshit the national media and Reddit would show.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Oh I know plenty about him. I know that he isn’t a terribly good X’s and O’s coach and overall isn’t terribly inspiring.

Steve Kerr isn’t a great coach either.

lionaire and HP3 like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Remlap and Nook like this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

They had Lebron James and Kyrie Irving(and Kevin love before his...uh decline) in a weak conference, give me a break. All there success was before the East really got good.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh please spare everyone with the Ive followed the cavs era all day everyday routine. if you did you would know lebron was the coach. yeah he's an idiot. ill say it again

people who use the I've watched so and so closer than you so I know logic are lame af. like that even matters if your iq is as bad as it is. and this board more than knows where you stand in that regard. you can watch them every single hr of the day and it still wouldn't have mattered

#119 YOLO, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes: