1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Astros hitters and their choking ways (MacBethian post)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JBIIRockets, Sep 27, 2003.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

First I want to classify the hitters I have confidence in, and the hitters I dont have confidence in.

Astro hitters I have faith in when it counts..
    Kent
    Viscaino
    Ausmus (yes, believe it or not him) his 6 for 22 postseason numbers are better than some of the astros supposed stars.

Astro hitters I could settle with being at the plate when in need for a clutch hit..
    Bagwell
    Berkman (but I am losing confidence in him also)
    Merced

Astro hitters that can't be judged yet since they haven't been in the league long enough
    Meluskey
    Ensberg
    Chavez
    Everett
    Lane

Astro hitters that I have zero confidence in when they are at the plate when we need a big hit.
    Biggio
    Hidalgo
    Blum

As for Blum, he sucks with a capital S. He better not be an Astro next year.

But Unfortunately, the Astros choose to rely on Biggio and Hidalgo on a daily basis. Yet these two players (and Blum) are most likely to let the Astros down when it counts. What do I base this on? Just the simple fact that I have seen them fail over and over and over again. I have a great memory and I cannot remember a big hit Biggio or Hidalgo has ever had in the playoffs. As for Hidalgo, if you put him up against a good pitcher, he'll ground out to third or short, or fly out to right, every fricken time. :mad:

Now, some of you guys may think I'm a hater, but dammit, I want to see the Astros in the World series someday. And it's becoming clearer and clearer that these two won't take them there.

This offseason would be a perfect time for the Astros to trade Hidalgo. There might be some takers since he had a good year overall. But the Astros won't trade him. The Astros are dumb enough to believe that they can win big games with him in the lineup.

Do you really think the Yankees and their fans would stand for these type players that continue to fail in the clutch. Of course not.

No way ever would Biggio be a Yankee long term if he batted 7 for 54 in the playoffs. Steinbrenner wouldn't stand for that. But Biggio can get away with that crap down here in Houston. And that is just sad.

It's a shame that the Astros organization is just satisfied with winning the division. If the Astros were only satisfied with getting to the world series, Biggio, for certain would not be an Astro right now. (and if Bagwell wanted to leave if Biggio left, then don't let the door kick you on the way out Bags)

I know I'm gonna get flamed, but go ahead, I just want to see the Astros win when it counts. I've seen enough failures in big games by the same damn players. And the Astros would be better off without these same damn players (Biggio/Hidalgo).

Man, I am so sick of this choking franchise.

#1 JBIIRockets, Sep 27, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Hidalgo waits until everybody else is batting poorly to get hot. This team is good, but you are right when we're talking about tough situations. If you think about the big hits over the course of the last few seasons, it's all no names with the big game winning hit. I don't trust bagwell in the clutch, but I do think Biggio does his part when it counts. Getting a hit when you are down two and no one on base should count for something. I think we should move Hidalgo to 2nd batter and put some pressure on him to play. We're desperate. We need playmakers right now.

(I love Hidalgo's arm out there in right field. He saves us from a lot of doubles.)

If Anaheim can do it, we should be able to.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

From last year to this year, I have more confidence in clutch hits...

That being said, the pitchers are the blame for last night...

The bats could have come up a little but freakin' 12 runs...

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

I think it says something when other teams are intenionally walking Vizcaino to get to Biggio. :)

5. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Close, but not quite MacBethian.

Anyway, I agree with you, but they really could have pitched better yesterday.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

bases loaded: hidalgo grounds out to third, for the dp no less

two men on: hidalgo flies out to right.

nice call.

however, saying we should've gotten rid of biggio b/c we're content to win the division and tell bags to leave too? uhh yeah. i'm sure everyone in baseball would've thought we were geniuses for a biggio for leyritz trade b/c leyritz can hit in the playoffs*. of course then we wouldn't have made it anymore. and yeah, telling the other astros legend to not let the door hit him would've been real great.

*i know leyritz isn't a 2b, just mentioning someone with big hits

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

for those who think I'm full of **** about Hidalgo.

including this game today, doggy is 4-25 in his last eight games. Notice how these games are the most important games of the year.

As for the biggio leyritz thing, that's an unfair comparision because they play different positions, like you said.

BTW Biggio, way to strike out with a man in scoring position, you swung at two balls out of the strike zone..you overrated piece of crap.

8. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

it's over. like always this time of year. Astros are a wielding bats with holes in them...

yep. I have said this time and time again, but people have this odd tendancy to think Jeff Kent is going to stop all the chocking bagwell, biggio, hidalgo, berkman, ect

Nope. sorry.

next spring is far away and baseball is boring. Bring on the NFL and the Rocks

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yeah, unfortunately they converted him and not the other way around.