1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Astros have received permission to interview Tampa Bay Rays general manager

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by alfred95, Nov 28, 2011.

1. alfred95

alfred95 Member

The Astros have received permission to interview Tampa Bay Rays general manager Andrew Friedman, according to officials with knowledge of the organization’s thinking.

Although the club has asked to interview “a handful” of others, Friedman clearly is the No. 1 choice to replace Ed Wade.

Among others believed to be under consideration were two Texas Rangers executives, Thad Levine and A.J. Preller. However, former Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker apparently will not be interviewed for the job.

Friedman is widely regarded as one of the three best general managers in the game, having elevated the low-budget Rays to playoff berths three of the last four seasons.

He previously interviewed for the Angels’ opening, but inside the industry, it’s widely believed it would take an extraordinary situation to pry him away from the Rays because of his close relationship with owner Stu Sternberg, club president Matt Silverman and manager Joe Maddon.

Astros owner Jim Crane and CEO George Postolos are hoping the lure of returning to fix the team he grew up rooting for would be just such an extraordinary situation.

1 person likes this.
  2. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I hope he decides to take the GM position. Would be great!

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If we're cutting payroll to rebuild this team, than you pay this man what he deserves plus a little extra to do the job. The astros have no business being a **** organization especially with the freaking rangers dominating the AL.

Pay Friedman and let him turn this thing around. Don't get cheap here Crane.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros are willing to pay Friedman very, very, very well.... if he declines taking the job it won't be because of financial considerations.

Essentially the Astros are asking Friedman to give up all the close relationships he has developed in Tampa to do the same job in Houston.

As much as he loves Houston and his family, based on the little I know, I don't think he will turn his back on his collegues in Tampa.

6. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

Well, Sternberg has openly expressed his displeasure with the low fan attendance and financial situation in Tampa. Also, he was previously rumored to be a potential buyer for the Mets (although that was just a rumor). So, maybe if these feelings/rumors materialized into anything, or they told Friedman behind the scenes that they could materialize, Friedman would be more likely to leave.

And are we really not going to interview Hunsicker? Maybe that means we think we have a chance to get Friedman...

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

get it done CD!

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Not for GM. That'd kind of be a demotion for him, wouldn't it? He hasn't been a GM since he left us 7 years ago. Now if we tried to lure him away to take Tal Smith's old job, that's a different story. That'd be a promotion.

9. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

Ah, right. It would seem weird if we were to take both from the Rays. Seems like it would/should be one or the other.

Hunsicker does still own a home in Memorial.

10. The Situation

The Situation Member

Some Rays fans want compensation if Friedman does leave, go ahead and take Carlos Lee or/and Brandon Lyon

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

shouldn't the title read: "The Rays Give Friedman Permission to Interview the Astros"? doesn't seem like much questioning needs to be done on our end.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

from what I hear..if he doesn't leave for this situation, he'll never leave Tampa. the Astros were his boyhood team...he's a big fan. Crane is gonna dump an assload of money his direction. I think he's going to make it a very tough choice for Friedman, to say the least.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Strangely enough, had we been staying in the NL, I think he'd be more intrigued to come to a league where he doesn't have to compete with the Yankees-Red Sox-Rangers on a yearly basis (much like Theo Epstein did).

Now, it strictly has to be about Houston vs. Tampa. One is a solid baseball marked currently ostracized by losing and being forced to switch leagues. The other is an awful baseball market that will NEVER get better, no matter how many division winning/pennant winning/playoff appearences you deliver. Tampa, despite its success is the definition of a city that does not deserve a franchise, cannot really support a franchise, and should honesly be either moved or contracted to a city that can/will. If he whiffs on ANY of the high round draft picks, or they don't get adequate quality back when they trade their pending star free agents, they will suddenly be just what the Oakland A's are now.

I guess Billy Beane never left Oakland, but the Red Sox were not his hometown team either. I'd put the odds at 40% right now... if he had absolutely zero interest, he wouldn't be taking the interview.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Interesting tidbits. Any guy that remembers Game 6 as "traumatic" is ok in my book:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastro...to-throw-a-pitch-to-rays-wunderkind-friedman/

For the last six months, Jim Crane and George Postolos have had just one wish with regard to Andrew Friedman.

That is, they wanted the opportunity to sit down with the Tampa Bay Rays’ general manager and pitch him the idea of coming back to his hometown and running the baseball team he grew up rooting for.

They believe Friedman will listen to their pitch. Whether the conversation goes any further is a separate issue. They’ll tell him he’ll have the freedom — and the resources — to shape the franchise’s baseball operation to his liking.

“I grew up going to the Astrodome,” Andrew told me in 2008. “A lot of kids go off to summer camp. My summer camp was going to Astros games.”

He started memorizing the statistics on baseball cards when he was 4.

“When my mom would leave the house, I’d sit by the door and lay out all my baseball cards along the corridor,” he said. “I’d spend hours engrossed in the players and the stats and different teams.”

He hung out at visiting teams’ hotels, collecting autographs and striking up conversations. The Tampa Tribune reported he once gave Tony Gwynn 60 cards to sign.

“Come back tomorrow,” Gwynn told him.

He showed up the next day, and Gwynn had signed every card. He became such a familiar face that players gave him bats, wristbands and hats. He remembers the Astros’ 1986 16-inning playoff loss to the Mets as being “traumatic.”

Friedman graduated from Episcopal High, played baseball at Tulane and got a degree in finance. From there, he was off to New York to work as an analyst for MidMark Capital and Bear Stearns.

That he’s No. 1 on Crane’s list speaks volumes that the Astros are going to be dramatically different. They may lose for another year or two, but convincing Friedman to return home would be a huge step in the right direction.

15. msn

msn Member

That would be a major coup, indeed.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Friedman would completely change the dynamics of the organization. It is not so much that he is brilliant, as it is that he would hire hard working smart people through out the organization.

I agree with Nick, the fact that we are in the AL now, I believe hurts us.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Eh, does it really though?? You don't think he would embrace the challenge of turning this franchise around and competing against teams he knows EXTREMELY well?? He just spent the last several years taking down the teams of the AL with a Rays team that used about 25% of the payroll of the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rangers. I think, if anything, it actually might work in our favor. At the end of the day, I believe the draw of coming home, turning the Astros into a perennial contender, and becoming a cult hero will ultimately prevail. At least I really, really hope so.

18. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I'd be so stoked if they hired Friedman. I don't think the AL thing will hurt. He'd be leaving the AL East for a much more evenly-balanced division in the AL West. We are capable of spending as much or more than as Anaheim, Seattle, and Texas.
    I think he's done as much as he can do in Tampa with their budget and fan support. We will never be the Yankess, Red Sox, or Cubs, but we can be an upper middle-class spending team like the Braves of the 90s or Cardinals of the 2000s, and that would be 2 or 3 times the amount of money he has to work with in Tampa.
    I hope he's ready to come home for a new challenge.

19. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

See theyre ticking off the 4 dozen Tamp Bay fans already creating new rivals ;)

1 person likes this.
  20. msn

msn Member

↑↑ outstanding.