1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The alamodome and the spurs game.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizard, Feb 19, 2000.

1. wizard

wizard Member

Once i walked into the arena tonight, I noticed something very different from what i was accustomed to...the crowd was LOUD! Unlike the compaq center, people were cheering like crazy. Unfortunatly they had reason to cheer. What an ugly game! It really hurt when Cato got injured since we lost our interior defense but there were many other things that went wrong so cant point at that. At the end of the game, it was hilarious. As Calvin and Bill were summing up their final thoughts, Spurs fans were trying to get on camera from behind. Calvin was pissed and was like " get out of here!, move!" on a commercial break or something. Bring back stockton and malone.

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

SEE WE"D HAVE THAT LOUD OF A CROWD IF OUR STADIUM WAS BETTER. BUILD A NICE STADIUM THAT'LL HOLD ALL THE SOUNDS,,,, then it'll be awesome and loud

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Tycoonchip, thou art most profound. I have to add that quote to my list when I get back to Dallas. I'm not sure it's so much the stadium as it is the um... well... fans. They have nothing really to cheer for when we're losing this much.

------------------
    trade them all and fire the coach.

4. wizard

wizard Member

Even when the rockets were winning in previous seasons, the fans in the summit were pretty lame to me. Almost as lame as John Crotty taking brent price to the hole.

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I remember saying the EXACT same thing on this board a few years ago and getting flamed like you wouldn't believe.

Even during the championship years, the fans AT Rockets games were like attending a business meeting. Too many people trying to schmooze clients and NOT ENOUGH REAL FANS in the seats!!

------------------
    The key for the Rockets is a winning attitude and mentality which can only be had by winning basketball games.

6. wizard

wizard Member

what are you talking about? the years after the championship we still had a good record and was very competitive and the crowd sucked. So stop saying stuff just to argue with someone. Someone obviously has short-term memory.

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I think it was good.

8. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

YEAH! My first post after getting my new computer (after my old one screwed up and left me without internet for 2 weeks)...

Anyway, the Summit crowd is lame. I'm sorry to say it...
    When I went to my first Rocket game in '96 I was totally pumped, ready to cheer for my favorite team. I was wearing all my Rocket gear, including my Spaldings. I thought it would be a great.
    It was good, but not what I had expected. I felt embarassed when I made the slightest noise. I felt like most people weren't even watching the game.
    It was pretty disappointing...

------------------
    Francis+Charles+Dream-Pippen= Rockets 2000 NBA
    Champions

Houston Rockets Space Center

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"I felt embarrassed making the slightest noise"

Ace man...that is sad to read. Forget about embarrassing yourself...it won't happen. It's people like you that can bring noise back to this stadium. Cheer it up. It all starts with you!

I can't keep my mouth shut,,,that's for sure. People most often start cheering more with me and my friends. They enjoy it as long as you make it enjoyable.

Cheers to all who cheer!!

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 19, 2000).]

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Houston fans are LAME for the most part. As an example just look at the Astros. They have had a winning team for the past several seasons, yet very rarely sell out the dome (let alone half fill it). When they are on WGN or TBS the announcers always mention how lousy the fan support is in Houston (and how you can here a pin drop).
    The Rockets play in one of the smallest arena's in the NBA and yet it is one of the quietest. If it wasnt for Turbo and that mascot, the laptop wouldn't be half filled.

11. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

I too was flamed for comments about a year ago about how quite it was in the Compaq center, even in the Championship years. I even went as far as quoting Barkley who said the same things.

Houston its time to make some noise.

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Why do people who get tickets not get INTO the game emotionally? I know I would get my moneys worth if I was at a game, if nothing else, i would love to heckle. Real Rocket fans just need to stand up and buy more tickets instead of the passive ones.

------------------
    Crisco melts in your mouth, not in your hands.

13. Francis3

Francis3 Member

The crowd was loud those championship years but as years went on it started to suck .

[This message has been edited by Francis3 (edited February 19, 2000).]