1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2020 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What happened in the Angels game? Did the runner at second in the top of the 10th get thrown out at third trying to advance on a non-force? That's a risky gamble. And, the Angels got a base hit shortly after that.

#61 Surfguy, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ohtani wasn't even aware he was supposed to go to 2nd at the start of the inning.... and he doesn't strike anybody as the best baserunner.

As these situations develop, I see road teams playing those innings straight up whereas home teams should be playing for the one run/walk-off run.

It does make home field advantage that much bigger in extra innings.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think the 10th is too early. Maybe if the game stays tied in the 12th.

Its gimmicky... but at the same time, I'm not a huge fan of the 14-15 inning games where starters on short rest end up having to pitch.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It should never be used. Just slap both teams with a tie and move on is a better alternative than this.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do they get a half point for the tie?

desihooper likes this.
  6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, and bottom three now get relegated to the Independent League.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, half a win. It would be more representative than giving a team a win because they won some gimmick after the ball game was over.

#67 Joe Joe, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    King1, BigM and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Ohtani tried to move to 2nd on a fairly hard ground ball to 1st. Olson charged the ball hard and threw a strike to the 3rd baseman that started the run down. It was a great play by Olson. I don't really blame Ohtani for trying to move to 3rd on a ball hit to the right side.

9. Buck Turgidson

I do fear that they'll try to keep this and the expanded playoffs beyond this season. I don't *think* they will, but I greatly fear MLB's general incompetence.

Chapman (definitely) and Olson (arguably) are the best defenders at their positions in MLB. I'd still probably take the Stros IF as a whole in the field, but man those 2 are good.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I can't imagine them keeping 16 team playoffs AND a 3 game first round. That being said... it is baseball making the decision so I wouldn't put it past them

If they keep the runner on second nonsense they need to at least move it to the 12th.

BigM likes this.
  11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

My biggest problem with the expanded playoffs is the lack of benefit of being one of the top seeds. It is entirely possible you have the best record in the AL and are rewarded with a 3 game home series against Glasnow, Snell, and Morton. WTF.

I've watched pretty much all of the extra innings so far. I hate to admit it, but it really ratchets up the intensity. However, it seems so damn cheesy.

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

This makes me miss Bud Selig, and I hate Bud Selig.

htwnbandit likes this.
  13. Bob Barker 007

How Gerrit Cole looks after the Yankees made him shave
    [​IMG]

Hustle Town likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is my issue as well. A team that knows it doesn't have pitching to last a 4 round playoffs can put everything they have into 3 games as the worst thing is they still lose, but they give themselves a shot to spoil a team's season.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

According to ESPN, the agreement is just for this season.

ESPN's Buster Olney reported earlier Thursday that as part of the 16-team expanded playoff proposal, the No. 1, 2, 3 seeds in each league—the Division winners—would pick their opponents among the other five teams.

This is an advantage, isn't it?

So no (maybe). You would not have to face a 3 game home series against Glasnow, Snell, and Morton if you win your division. Dont pick Tampa Bay. This is how it works, right? Not sure.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/07/23/mlb-expanded-postseason-field-2020#:~:text=MLB to Expand Postseason Field in 2020&text=According to ESPN, the agreement,among the other five teams.

16. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I also don't like the idea about picking your opponent. Seems like a good way to motivate the other team. Hey they think we suck and think they could beat us. Well we'll show them what's up.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think baseball folks think a little more maturely than that. Whoever some team picks, it will pretty obvious why. Better matchup. Better record against. Or maybe even the least healthy team. To a rational actor, it wont be "They think we suck".

18. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

A lousy 8 seed with a strong bullpen could easily upset a No 1 seed. This is just stupid.

BigM likes this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

A 5 game series is already ripe for upset. A 3 game series is nothing more than a pick em. It’s totally stupid. But at least you’re not wasting 162 games. This is the kind of nonsense that you can play around with when you only have a 60 game season.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

To take your example, A lousy team with a strong bullpen would have to have some glaring weaknesses in starting pitching and/or offense. They would not be lousy or the no. 8 seed otherwise. This hypothetical No.8 seed was also picked by the team they are playing. Meaning, the opposing team matches up real well against you. And, you have to play all the games on the road.

My money is on the No. 1 seed.