1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2018 Oscar Nominations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 23, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wait, we can't smoke pot in Colorado movie theaters.

daywalker02, ghettocheeze and tinman like this.
  2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Finally, the legendary Roger Deakins got his Oscar.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. heypartner

just imagine if he were a Rockets fan.

Someone tell him the fat lady just sang, so he can go to bed now.

6. heypartner

[edit] nm, Jane was right, the first Orgasmatron was not in Sleeper...was Barbarella, called the "Excessive Machine"

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Finally seen most of the movies nominated for Best picture and with nominees in other categories. Gotta say I thought 3 Billboards started strong and was really good for about 3/4 of it but the last quarter of the movie was "meh" for me.

Lady Bird was probably my favourite out of all the nominees and I thought Saoirse or Laurie Metcalfe should've won for either Best Actress or Supporting actress....even though I knew that wouldn't happen.

Del Toro winning for Shape of Water...Nope nope nope.

Oh well. I guess we'll see how all those movies age.

heypartner likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kirby goes Oscar.

#68 daywalker02, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I watched Shape of Water during a Film Festival and the audience was amazing. Much better than if I have seen it during a regular session.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kimmel is great. They keep doing this every year.

CometsWin likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Looks like it was staged and went on so long that they had to cut off the producer of Best Picture at the end

hvic likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny I see a lot of people didn't love The Shape of Water. I thought it was amazing. Everything about it was sensational and very well done.

The camera (like water) basically never stopped moving the whole movie. Normally that would annoy the hell out of me, but it didn't at all after the first 2 minutes.

When the start of the film has zero lines and can hold the movie like this, it's very impressive. It was something original and different than other movies which also earns a ton of points in my book.

It's all subjective, but I really loved this film. It had a magical quality to it. It wasn't the same as Field of Dreams but that also had a magical quality to it.

kubli9 and GRENDEL like this.
  14. ths balla

ths balla Member

didn't Kimmel have the Man Show back in the day? #metoo

hvic likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

https://www.avclub.com/michael-shannon-watched-the-oscars-on-mute-at-a-chicago-1823544051

Michael Shannon watched the Oscars on mute at a Chicago bar
    Katie Rife
    Today 8:14am

[​IMG]
    Shannon, who just wants to get out of here and have a beer in peace, at TIFF last year
    Photo: J. Countess (Getty Images)

Thanks to its proximity to both the Steppenwolf Theatre (which is right down the street) and Second City (which is directly across the street), the Old Town Ale House has long been a favored haunt of Chicago’s theater and comedy communities, a place where visiting celebrities can go and enjoy the relaxing ambience of a bar where everybody knows their name, but doesn’t give enough of a **** to bother them about it. Also, they have a nude portrait of Sarah Palin above the bar.

That’s where The Shape Of Water’s Michael Shannon watched the Oscars on Sunday night, with a drink in hand and the TV on mute as his director, Guillermo Del Toro, and his co-stars came up onstage to accept the Oscar for Best Picture. Shannon, who usually lives in Brooklyn, isn’t opposed to the Oscars, necessarily—he attended last year, when he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Nocturnal Animals—but is currently in Chicago directing a production of Brett Neveu’s Traitor at A Red Orchid Theatre, a two-minute walk from the Old Town Ale House. The play closed on Sunday night. Shannon’s been a member of A Red Orchid since its inception in 1993, and remains dedicated to the ensemble that got him his start, coming back regularly to appear in and direct plays there.

He’s also growing out a rather luxurious ’stache, as careful inspection of the below photo—posted on Twitter last night by Bruce Elliott, owner of the Old Town Ale House and the painter behind the portraits that line the walls of the bar—reveals.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This was my only problem with the movie. It was beautifully shot, lots of style, and had a classic feel to it (all things I love). However it wasn't very original, it was just a kinda new take on a well known troupe. Originality is big for me and this movie just wasn't that

ferrari77 likes this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I thought it was an original take on an old theme. I understand that the story isn't brand new. I just felt that the take on the old story had enough new elements that seemed to flow into the story and didn't really seemed forced. But I definitely can see your side that the story wasn't totally original. Fair enough.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

Good good. let these shows die.
    It's just turned into one sided political lecturing now.

#80 Sajan, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018