1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

That was a defensive masterpiece.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Mar 26, 2019.

1. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Harden should've gone to the rim more and taken the floater as many times as he can. I felt he passed the ball out too much when our guys were defended well at the perimeter. Also against this defense, you need a midrange game.

2. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Alarming. On how the Rockets lost:

3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I still think Atlanta had more talent

They had horford in his prime who was a legit allstar big.

Teague has a great year as did Korver.

The bucks are strange to me I don’t watch many of their games but I don’t come away from the ones I do thinking Giannis is the reason their winning these games. He’s great but Capela honestly neutralized him when Clint was on him he settles for jumpers or bad fade-aways.

He really has not offense outside of the paint but he’s so damn strong and long that he can bully his way to the hoop if he has a straight line with his little spin mine drop step.

This was one of the best defensive performance I’ve seen Clint have individually he was great and was really good on the switches when he did get on the smaller guys.

Also harden is strong as they come G couldn’t back harden down at all that was impressive.

slothy420 likes this.
  4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Harden def should have shot more floaters but a lot of those threes he was getting PJ we’re wide open I mean nobody was even 10 ft near him. PJ has to make them pay.

This was game were Green def would have played 20+ min just because he will can those corner threes if he’s that wide open.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Unguarded efg% allowed is the most underrated stat in the NBA

DO SOMETHING DARYL

WE'RE OUT OF THE LOTTERY

DO SOMETHING

BasketMAD likes this.
  6. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

This is a classic single game overreaction.

If we make our open 3s, or the game is called a little tighter, or the Rockets need it more, or we're at home, or we have more size (Faried?), god knows what happens.

It was a very interesting and clever strategy to shade Harden hard from his left, but it's not the first time a team has tried that, and we saw how well it worked while the Rockets were making 3s... they were leaving the lane wide open. I think Harden and the Rockets are too smart offensively to not figure that one out.

7. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

The Bucks have to have the league's luckiest and most gimmicky defense. They give up a lot of 3s, and somehow those wide open shots end up as bricks. Either they're extremely lucky this year, or that **** won't last in the postseason.

8. biina

biina Member

Bucks picked their poison but Tucker & co failed to pass the chalice while Gordon downed it all.

zcarenow and BigShasta like this.
  9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

All it took for them to beat us was probably the worst game of Eric Gordon’s career. I can guarantee he will never play that’s bad again.

BaselineFade, BeBreezy and BigShasta like this.
  10. Juxtaposed Jolt

If memory serves, that's exactly what the Bucks did, the first time we played them in Houston. And it worked then, too.

But I'll agree - if Tucker and Gordon shot better tonight, Milwaukee's defense wouldn't have been as effective, because they'd actually have to respect the 3 point line.

slothy420 and Tfor3 like this.
  11. Zergling

Zergling Member

That's what they said after the first Bucks game. OMG THEY FIGURED OUT HARDEN! League will take notice and contain him!

A bunch of 50/60 point games later, teams are still bamboozled. Even a Popovich coached team couldn't stop him.

The Bucks strategy was pray that the Rockets role players missed WIDE OPEN three point shots. Their prayers were answered. That was their strategy -- getting lucky.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Our guys missed their shots, their guys hit theirs, its as simple as that.

Doesn't help that Connaughton who shoots 31.7% from 3 goes 4-5 with 14 points and Tucker/EG who are much better shooters go a combined 1-13 from 3 for 3 points. That has the potential to swing the game right there.

Hmc415 likes this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Coach Bud MVP!

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We lost last year cause D’Antoni didn’t make adjustments in game 7.
    He didn’t call timeout to cool off golden State’s huge run and he refused to change up the offense when things were clearly not working.

My Rudy T coaching moment was game three against Phoenix when they put like four dudes on Dream and we kept trying to get him the ball.
    He made Maxwell just drive to the hoop every time cause he switched the strategy when needed.

The rest was history

No Rudy T didn’t change the offense for forever it was just in game adjustments
    Which people here don’t understand
    It’s not changing our entire offense it’s just changing it when situations call for change

15. bmelo

bmelo Member

yeah man. that gimmick bullshit may work if you play against not a sharp team but the best games we play is when we actually play basketball. I swear i feel like GSW/Bucks/OKC when are focused/zoned in give us choices:
    a)either Harden goes into his Wilt mode
    b)we look like ****, cant generate open shots, cant hit the ones we generate because they out of sync

16. bmelo

bmelo Member

And what exactly makes you think that PJ Tucker can hit three at good percentage in 16 playoff games when teams are going to dare him to do it? Yet alone being closed out by greek freak. It's not day rhythm, he just sucks at it and sometimes he has a day when it goes in. Same goes for Austin, Shumpert, Clark

17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

the "let them shoot as many open 3s as possible and pray they are cold" defense

works every time

18. rocks123

rocks123 Member

they need to practice their three point shot. since its an away game it is obvious that they are hoping our long range shot wont fall. we even struggle at home sometimes. not a bad defensive plan but not a masterpiece either. surprised they didnt anticipate it.

19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Tucker and EG were no shows. Green and Faried DNP.
    Team gave up way to many turnovers.
    At full strength this game would be a W.
    #StayCalm

BaselineFade and BigShasta like this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Amazing how much BB is also a game of habits. Harden habit is his danceing dribbles before doing something amazing. Take that away and he’s a bit out of sync. He will figure it out, but he has to be able to go quicker... and leave his defender behind him (the defender i, than from there he still has his options. What he lost is the step back 3 but not really even that... what prevent him from jumping back into the defender or jumping forward for a cleaner looking 3. New habits.