1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ThaCabbage Patch...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Nov 18, 1999.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Seeing that Will and Doctor Robert have formed their own alliances, I have decided to create my own group of trusty Rocket friends. It's called thacabbage patch (name subject to change after 30 or more members vote for name-change).

The terms of the alliance are:

*Stop b****ing about Rudy, Hakeem, Bryce Drew, or every little particular thing the Rockets do wrong.

*Don't worry about the box score for the rest of the season. (Though, it it's a W, consider it a great acheivement.)

And that is it my friends. As easy as that. By the way, if you're going to get in, get in now, because I guarantee you, in 2001-2002, when Steve Francis is league MVP, we won't let you in.

Keep the faith. Keep the patience.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's hard not to get frustrated when I believe we have a small window with all this talent now,but I believe the we have the talent and salary cap space to be there consistently in the future.Stevie is such a special player and it will be a privilege to watch he and the rest of the young talent merge to become champs down the road.They should be in contention every year.You've got to hand it to the organization for the rebuilding we did in the offseason.What do yo think the fate of Rudy will be? HH
    I will try not to b**** about Bryce and hope that Rudy changes things as far as our offense.We need to come to play every night and not lose our defensive intensity because that will be our bread and butter.That and............Stevie.Alright ,now it's all out of my system....almost all....This "White Rabbit" wants to play in the patch! HH
    I think Rudy will eventually get kicked up to the front office.
    [This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited November 17, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited November 17, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited November 18, 1999).]

3. WHAM!

WHAM! Member

I would like to run through the fields of thacabbage patch.

Just call me a thacabbage patch kid. [​IMG]

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah Cabbage, you're not right unless you constantly b**** and b**** and b**** about the coach. You're only right if you have a picture of him full of dart holes. Never, never, under any circumstances, not criticize Rudy. If the Rockets sweep the playoffs, it's because of Rudy that we didn't win everygame by 30 points and every player didn't have a triple-double.

(Nevermind, that makes no sense since Caveman or someone deleted is post)

Seriously Cabbage, good club. I've been a part of it for awhile now. [​IMG]

P.S. Can you have double membership?

------------------
    Is it any coincidence that we are the only team mentioned in the national anthem?

I didn't think so!

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited November 18, 1999).]

5. Caveman

Caveman Member

Cabbage, You mean either shout up, or sing "Happy day"? hmmmmmm

------------------
    Rockets' biggest problem is not player talent levels, it is the coach's ineptitude.

6. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

You know what? Brice Drew plays way too many minutes. I think we should play him less, don't you? [​IMG]

7. thacabbage

BasketballFan:

You know that I have been very quick to criticize Rudy this season. If he deserves criticism, then no doubt, I will be the first one to do so, but right now he doesn't deserve any. Everything you see right now is the product of a new team with no identity, trying to smooth things out. Give it time.

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I'm in...always have been!

Don't worry about the box score for the rest of the season.

This might be difficult. Living out of town, its one of the only ways I can get any Rocket info! [​IMG]

9. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

tcab, HH,

I don't see how you can live up to these terms of posting [​IMG]. I do respect both of your posts (past & present) though.

I am longsuffering when it comes to their season, rebuilding process. I always have to remind myself that 1 game is just that, and the only way to rate theirplay/team is over the long haul. Recapping their uear so far, they have been in most of the games they have played but have broken down at some point in the 2nd half that leads to their loss. I want to win this year, or at least knock Portland out of it! (Heh, heh, heh).

10. daddyoh

daddyoh New Member

I am wit yuh cabman all the way on this one.

------------------
    dream on "we're living the dream"

11. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is hard for me to say, and I may need some therapy afterwards.

"But I'm with you cabbage man!!!!!!!!!!"

"Count me in!!!!"

But, does that mean I can't give you a hard time once in awhile, you are taking all my fun away. Hey, I'll sacrifice it, cause I am with you here....

Go Rockets!!!

12. GermanRocket

GermanRocket Member

Now I get it...Caveman is BasketballFan???

Well, Cabbage, your posts are really taking a different direction now and I can totally agree with your post in this thread. However, I wouldn't say "I don't care if they are 2-80 or 75-7". I still want them to reach the playoffs, because from there, everything is possible. In sports, you can't really say "All I care about is long-time progress". In sports, usually you have to look at what you can get in the season you are in and you can't really say, it's okay if we suck now if it helps us to be better in two years from now. What we have to try is to rebuild and still be successful at the same time. I hope that the Francis deal turns out to be the perfect move in that direction.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

"*Stop b****ing about Rudy, Hakeem, Bryce Drew, or every little particular thing the Rockets do wrong."

Cabbage, does that mean if the Rockets dump it in to Hakeem or Charles every time down the court, stand around and launch threes, you won't be criticizing it?

"*Don't worry about the box score for the rest of the season. (Though, it it's a W, consider it a great acheivement.)"

If Hakeem/Barkley combine for 60 shots, play 48 minutes a piece, and Francis takes about 5 shots a game, and Shandon continues to see about 15 minutes of action, you won't have anything to say about it? These would all be things we'd see in the box score, right?

Don't go soft on us, man. The reason this site exists is so people can express their views on the Rockets, positive or negative. You've been making some great arguments.....don't be pressured into keeping your mouth shut.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right now the Rockets are like a stuck record.Once Rudy,Chuck,and Dream pick up the needle,we'll start making progress.Until then,I'll try to bite my tongue.................within reason.Francis is already starting to acquire a coat of polish in spite of the politics on the court.Yes,he could be putting up monster numbers now,but his future holds those big numbers and more importantly
    championships.Lets' keep our chins up! HH
    I understand that Cab doesn't want this to turn into a giant b****fest.It hurts me to watch our guys in this antiquated system...such a waste so far.....I will TRY to tone down my criticisms for awhile because nothing seems to be changing now and and the whole thing is redundant.

[This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited November 18, 1999).]

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Do we get to hold hands and sing Kum Ba Yah? If so, count me it. Last year I was a pessimist. I once was lost, but now I am FOUND, my Brother!!!

16. thacabbage

"*Don't worry about the box score for the rest of the season. (Though, it it's a W, consider it a great acheivement.)"

If Hakeem/Barkley combine for 60 shots, play 48 minutes a piece, and Francis takes about 5 shots a game, and Shandon continues to see about 15 minutes of action, you won't have anything to say about it? These would all be things we'd see in the box score, right?

Don't go soft on us, man. The reason this site exists is so people can express their views on the Rockets, positive or negative. You've been making some great arguments.....don't be pressured into keeping your mouth shut.

TheFreak -

No question. If 80% of the plays the Rockets are run are postups, then I will be the first one to speak out. No question, I am still against that. What I mean now is that people need to realize that as long as changes are taking place, we shouldn't just judge the Rockets on their W-L record. We should judge them on their progress. But yea, you are right, if the postup offense wins us a game, then it is definitely a setback. Definitely still agree with you on that.

Many of you are shocked about my change of direction in posting, the last few weeks. My views are still, and have always been the same:

*Rudy T: Still the worst X's and O's man in the league. He's getting better though.

*Charles Barkley: I still feel that he has been a cancer everywhere he has been, and wasted his talent to just goof around during his better years. I have to give props to Chuck though, because he seems to be adjusting to his new role, these last few games. Still, if you want to win a championship now (which I don't really care about), then Charles needs to go on the bench.

*I don't want to say anything bad about a Rockets player, but Walt just flat out sucks. I hate lazy-ass players.

*Bryce Drew is horrible, but you have to give the guy his props for trying so hard.

*Hakeem: ...it's hard to say anything bad about Hakeem. You can criticize him, just don't flat out disrespect the guy, like some have.

*Shandon Anderson, Rogers, Cato: They are playas. Glad these guys are Rockets.

*Cuttino Mobley: Like you probably remember, I still think that Mobley will leave this offseason for a chance to start, (maybe Chicago?). I think it would be in the Rockets best interest to trade him for a young small forward.

Fellow pessimistic friends (TheFreak), don't worry, I am still one of you, and I express your same views, still. But, the thing I am tired about is people just ripping the Rockets because of their record, and expecting them to win every game, all of a sudden. Criticism is great, I agree with it most of the time, but I hate disrespect and impatience. You can complain about the postup offense, you can complain about the lack of motion (though it has gotten better lately), but just don't expect the Rockets to win, and out of nowhere, acheive great success. Things take time.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I can't tell if all this is politics or religion.

On the religious side, you've got the leader of the group as the
    Prodigal Son, been to hell and back, who is now "seeing the light".

Translation: Hasn't thacabbage been bashing Rudy's, Hakeem's and Charles' every move every step of the way, and now this turn of events? "Do as I say, not as a I do?"

On the political side, here's someone with no plan taking a good idea (Will's), copying it and simplifying it to appeal to the masses.

Translation: "Stop b****ing about Rudy, Hakeem, Bryce Drew, or every little particular thing the Rockets do wrong." -- BUT, "(Rudy T is) the worst X's and O's man in the league.... (Charles Barkley) has been a cancer everywhere he has been, and wasted his talent to just goof around during his better years... Walt just flat out sucks.... Bryce Drew is horrible."

"And that is it my friends. As easy as that"

So, in a nutshell what you're saying is no new taxes, except for those new taxes.

Vote progress. Vote Will. Incrementalists in 2000. [​IMG]

------------------
    Clutch
    Out to prove Scottie Pippen will apologize at gunpoint.
    www.clutchcity.net

18. thacabbage

Translation: Hasn't thacabbage been bashing Rudy's, Hakeem's and Charles' every move every step of the way, and now this turn of events? "Do as I say, not as a I do?"

And now I am giving them their dues, seeing that

i)Rudy has gone to a more motion offense.
    ii)Charles has stayed out of the post, and adjusted to his new role.

On the political side, here's someone with no plan taking a good idea (Will's), copying it and simplifying it to appeal to the masses.

No plan, taking a good idea (Will's), copying it and simplifying it to appeal to the masses...? I agree Clutch, I acknowledged that already in the introduction in sed line: Seeing that Will and Doctor Robert have formed their own alliances, I have decided to create my own group of trusty Rocket friends.

Translation: "Stop b****ing about Rudy, Hakeem, Bryce Drew, or every little particular thing the Rockets do wrong." -- BUT, "(Rudy T is) the worst X's and O's man in the league.... (Charles Barkley) has been a cancer everywhere he has been, and wasted his talent to just goof around during his better years... Walt just flat out sucks.... Bryce Drew is horrible."

Clutch, after the Rudy T part, you forgot to add the He's getting better though. that I included. That makes a big difference seeing that I am recognizing Rudy's recent offense switch. Same goes for Charles, under sed line: I have to give props to Chuck though, because he seems to be adjusting to his new role, these last few games. as I also recognized that he has recently adapted to his new role. Same goes for Bryce Drew under line: but you have to give the guy his props for trying so hard. as I recognized him playing his ass off every game. Now notice in the introduction, in line *Stop b****ing about Rudy, Hakeem, Bryce Drew, or every little particular thing the Rockets do wrong., that nowhere did I include Walt Williams' name under the "stop b****ing about them" phrase, declaring that I agree with the Walt Williams negativity.

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited November 18, 1999).]

19. Caveman

Caveman Member

ThaCabbage,
    I thought you had right pulse of Rockets' ill few weeks ago. I considered myself sharing all the views you had on Rudy and on dump-it-to-post system. Now you suddenly turns 180 degrees. I don't get it. I will keep b****ing about Rudy as long as he calls dump-it-to-Hak play at 4th quarters.
    -----------------------
    I am a fan of Hakeem, but not that dump-it-to-post-first play.

------------------
    Rockets' biggest problem is not player talent levels, it is the coach's ineptitude.