1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texxas Jam 1978

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by the shark, Nov 7, 2014.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Was going through some of my old concert tickets from back in the day, and one of my favorite shows was the first Texxas Jam (1978) at the Cotton Bowl in early July.

Here's what the lineup was:

Walter Egan ("Magnet & Steel")
    Van Halen (one of their 1st appearances in Texas)
    Eddie Money
    Atlanta Rhythm Section
    Head East ("never been any reason")
    Journey
    Heart
    Teg Nugent
    Aerosmith
    Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush
    *Cheech and Chong were also there

All of this for $13.00

Great memories as a 16 yr old punk ass kid driving up with a few friends to check this show out. Remember walking into the Cotton Bowl wearing Puca shells, Birdwell shorts, and tiddies sandals with an Aerosmith concert shirt I had from their '76 tour.

It was a 130 degrees on the floor of the Cotton Bowl that day, and people were passing out left and right. Between the acts they started hosing down the crowd with a fire hose to try and cool people down. Van Halen came on around 10am, and it was the beginning of an awesome day.

A guy from Dallas recently put out a Documentary on this show, and it definitely brings back a ton of awesome memories. The following yr ('79) the lineup was:
    Sammy Hagar
    Nazareth
    Van Halen
    Boston
    Heart
    Blue Oyster Cult

The next yr ('80):
    Eagles
    Cheap Trick
    Foreigner
    April Wine
    Sammy Hagar
    Christopher Cross
    Point Blank

That '78 show was on July 1st, and the following night back in Houston me and a few friends went to see Aerosmith and AC/DC at the Summit. Great freakin memories!!!

Anyone else go to the '78 show?

1 person likes this.
  2. Raven

Raven Member

Christopher Cross in 1980. Ha ha. :grin:

3. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Acid, orgys, and mar1juana or GTFO. Nah, that sounded like a helluva great time man. Pics would be awesome if you have them. I love most anything from the 70's since I was born in them.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Went to the '80 show.

I remember it being 120 on the floor of the Cotton Bowl and spending all of my money drinking $5 cokes.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Also went to the '82 and '83 Texxas Jam in The Dome.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Seems to be a lot of videos about it online. Here's the documentary I guess:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OU_2e7E-GJw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>