1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas woman charged with abandoning kids...30 yards away

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have to feel for this woman.

http://lawstreetmedia.com/news/texas-mother-charged-abandoning-kids-30-yards-away/

You have to wonder if her race played a role in this at all...

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Maybe, but there are other stories similar to this out there. The charge shouldn't stick.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hope so - but definitely shows how hard it is for a single mother.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Had a similar experience recently but wasn't arrested. I stood at the end of my driveway and watched my 6-year old walk to the neighbor's 2 blocks down to play. A cop car pulled up next to her and the cop talked to her (by this time, I start heading that way). She gets scared and comes running back to me. So, I pick her up and talk to the cop. He asks me what am I going to do from my driveway if some kidnapper comes and shoves her in the car. He's right, of course, that there's not much I could do, but the chance that happens is a million to one. I stayed polite for awhile, but he got too argumentative about it so I blew him off and walked away. The funny part was that after I dropped my daughter off at her friend's and the cop had gone, another neighbor I don't know too well came over to say that cop had no business talking to little girls on the sidewalk and she was watching him to make sure he wasn't up to any funny business. She had his license plate if I wanted to call in a complaint.

[Bracing for parenting busybodies telling me I'm a bad father for letting my children go outside.]

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Having your kid go outside isn't necessarily terrible. Just make sure it's a controlled environment.

[​IMG]

Have it locked shut and stand guard at the entry door with a shotgun.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I have my concerns about the accuracy of the story (I have to think there is more to the story), but this is an absolute truth.

We talk about women's rights so frequently, but we never really address these types of problems. Depending on the full facts, this could have easily been someone making the most reasonable decision they could have, and the government overstepping once again.

I'm positive arresting a single mother on a charge under these circumstances is not in the best interest of the children.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The RULE is more important thant either THE PERSON or THE SITUATION.

We will kill, fight, die to enforce RULES without ever thinking of the particulars of the situation.

I, often wonder, about people given tickets for running red lights at 4 in the morning where there are absolutely no other cars around or on the street . . . .. why? because it is a rule. RULES ARE KING. RULERS MUST BE OBEYED BEYOND ANTHING ELSE!

I was only following orders. . or . . i was only following the rules . . . .. same thing.

WIKI SAYS: Child abandonment is the practice of relinquishing interests and claims over one's offspring in an extralegal way with the intent of never again resuming or reasserting them

Well .. .since she came back this means there was no reason to think they were abandoned.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/child-abandonment.html
    says

I'm guess they will then stretch to Child endangerment or some other non sense

http://www.easylawlookup.com/Texas-...topic=child+endangerment&simple=on&topicview=
    says
    Does not matter her race this **** is ridiculous

Rocket River

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Total agreement here. Must be a better way to address this than handcuffs and arrest.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

The main thing I got from the article is how does a 2 year old sit still for the amount of time it takes to do an interview? That is one well-behaved kid!

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I question the accuracy of her story. Surely the police weren't hiding waiting for her to return so they could nab her. If the kids were in site like she claims, then she would have seen a commotion around her kids as the security/police went to talk to them. Just like JV's story. The cop talked to his girl and he saw it and immediately went to his child.

I don't see how you could complete an interview while watching your kids being questioned by mall security and police?

11. malakas

malakas Member

I don't know...the one kid was 2 years old and even if she was close she was distracted with the interview. 5 minutes not looking could be enough for someone picking them up.
    On the other hand arrest is too far fetched but the authorities should make sure she doesn't do this again.
    Its also GOOD sign that the police reacted when they saw unacompanied too toddler children.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm kinda leaning the same way, too. If her kids were in constant line of sight with her, how does she not notice a cop around the kids? I'm pretty sure if a cop was called, he would have stayed by the kids and waited for the mother to return, yet the mother never saw the cop until after she finished her interview and returned to her kids. I also don't think you can effectively interview with someone, whom you are constantly making eye contact with, and still see your kids. Her kids were probably in her peripheral vision, but not her focus and something could've happened to them. To reiterate, a 2-year old was involved. That young should never be left unattended in a public space like a mall.

I understand her position that she was in. But if she had to bring her kids, she should have had them at the table next to her instead of 30 yards away. Others have brought up good points that fining or arresting a single mother would only add further burden to her ability to take care of her children. Leave it as a mark on her record and if she gets any other child endangerment charges, CPS should step in.

13. Buck Turgidson

I don't understand why they were so far away from her. 30 yards? There wasn't a closer table?

14. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

So I'm assuming she didn't get the job?

15. body slam

body slam Member

Why did she not keep the kids with her and explain the situation to the interviewer? 30 yards does not seem like much until you break it down to 90 feet and that is along way.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Maybe she was trying to hide the kids from the interviewer, which is understandable? I would think that having to bring your children to an interview would not reflect well on the interviewee.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

article is 6 months old

18. Major

Major Member

Other articles say it was 30 feet rather than yards. (That would be the distance of a football first down.)

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

https://reason.com/blog/2015/12/17/verdict-reversed-mom-not-guilty-of-negle
    [​IMG]
    http://www.today.com/parents/maryland-free-range-parents-cleared-neglect-t27901
    [​IMG]

The situations above are a little different from this story, and they're people with means, so they can afford attorneys and have the ability to do a press blitz. That said, the issues overlap, and if this lady who got arrested at the mall has some intestinal fortitude and the proper mindset to fight the state, she can win.

It's about the power of the state vs. parental rights, within the context of social norms, and actual statistical evidence vs. fear mongering. Good/bad parenting is debatable, and how much power the cops have to step in on your parenting should be debatable too and not just accepted bc CPS has increased its authority over the years.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

lol "busybodies".

you just volunteered all that info for all of us busybodies to read. i like that a cop seeing a 6 year old walk around by themselves down the street outside has "no business talking to little girls on the sidewalk". the fact that anybody could think that or agree with it is purely insane.