1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Students will be tracked via chips in IDs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hightop, May 26, 2012.

1. Hightop

Hightop Member

Destroy government schools

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/ed...ed-via-chips-in-IDs-3584339.php#ixzz1vsssNfl7

Northside Independent School District plans to track students next year on two of its campuses using technology implanted in their student identification cards in a trial that could eventually include all 112 of its schools and all of its nearly 100,000 students.

District officials said the Radio Frequency Identification System (RFID) tags would improve safety by allowing them to locate students — and count them more accurately at the beginning of the school day to help offset cuts in state funding, which is partly based on attendance.

Northside, the largest school district in Bexar County, plans to modify the ID cards next year for all students attending John Jay High School, Anson Jones Middle School and all special education students who ride district buses. That will add up to about 6,290 students.

The school board unanimously approved the program late Tuesday but, in a rarity for Northside trustees, they hotly debated it first, with some questioning it on privacy grounds.

State officials and national school safety experts said the technology was introduced in the past decade but has not been widely adopted. Northside's deputy superintendent of administration, Brian Woods, who will take over as superintendent in July, defended the use of RFID chips at Tuesday's meeting, comparing it to security cameras. He stressed that the program is only a pilot and not permanent.

“We want to harness the power of (the) technology to make schools safer, know where our students are all the time in a school, and increase revenues,” district spokesman Pascual Gonzalez said. “Parents expect that we always know where their children are, and this technology will help us do that.”

Chip readers on campuses and on school buses can detect a student's location but can't track them once they leave school property. Only authorized administrative officials will have access to the information, Gonzalez said.

“This way we can see if a student is at the nurse's office or elsewhere on campus, when they normally are counted for attendance in first period,” he said.

Gonzalez said the district plans to send letters to parents whose students are getting the the RFID-tagged ID cards. He said officials understand that students could leave the card somewhere, throwing off the system. They cost $15 each, and if lost, a student will have to pay for a new one.

Parents interviewed outside Jay and Jones as they picked up their children Thursday were either supportive, skeptical or offended.

Veronica Valdorrinos said she would be OK if the school tracks her daughter, a senior at Jay, as she always fears for her safety. Ricardo and Juanita Roman, who have two daughters there, said they didn't like that Jay was targeted.

Gonzalez said the district picked schools with lower attendance rates and staff willing to pilot the tags.

Some parents said they understood the benefits but had reservations over privacy.

“I would hope teachers can help motivate students to be in their seats instead of the district having to do this,” said Margaret Luna, whose eighth-grade granddaughter at Jones will go to Jay next year. “But I guess this is what happens when you don't have enough money.”

The district plans to spend $525,065 to implement the pilot program and $136,005 per year to run it, but it will more than pay for itself, predicted Steve Bassett, Northside's assistant superintendent for budget and finance. If successful, Northside would get $1.7 million next year from both higher attendance and Medicaid reimbursements for busing special education students, he said.

But the payoff could be a lot bigger if the program goes districtwide, Bassett said.

He said the program was one way the growing district could respond to the Legislature's cuts in state education funding. Northside trimmed its budget last year by $61.4 million.

Two school districts in the Houston area — Spring and Santa Fe ISDs — have used the technology for several years and have reported gains of hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue for improved attendance. Spring ISD spokeswoman Karen Garrison said the district, one-third the size of Northside, hasn't had any parent backlash.

In Tuesday's board debate, trustee M'Lissa M. Chumbley said she worried that parents might feel the technology violated their children's privacy rights. She didn't want administrators tracking teachers' every move if they end up outfitted with the tags, she added.

“I think this is overstepping our bounds and is inappropriate,” Chumbley said. “I'm honestly uncomfortable about this.”

Northside has to walk a tightrope in selling the idea to parents, some of whom could be turned off by the revenue incentive, said Kenneth Trump, president of National School Safety and Security Services, a Cleveland-based consulting firm.

The American Civil Liberties Union fought the use of the technology in 2005 at a rural elementary school in California and helped get the program canceled, said Kirsten Bokenkamp, an ACLU spokeswoman in Texas. She said concerns about the tags include privacy and the risks of identity theft or kidnapping if somebody hacks into the system.

Texas Education Agency spokeswoman DeEtta Culbertson said no state law or policy regulates the use of such devices and the decision is up to local districts.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/ed...ed-via-chips-in-IDs-3584339.php#ixzz1w02nHLc5

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The only cure for this is for you to never reproduce.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

This would have prevented me from cutting class to get Sonic back in high school!

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Do they have to have to have the card on them when they leave school?

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I would rather it just notify the school if they're out of the perimeter during class time than allow them to physically track them. Pretty sure some creepy teacher or security guy would use this to start stalking some of the cuter, more poorly behaved junior/senior girls.

In all honesty, even requiring K-12 students to keep track of a student ID seems like a pain the ass.

6. Classic

Classic Member

Seems they're more motivated by federal money than anything else

And so it begins...

7. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Yep, they need the money, and meanwhile we're giving tax breaks and constructing massive loopholes for the wealthiest people in the country.

It's trickling down! Seriously!

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Dude, when did you go to school? 1912?

I had to carry a school ID back in the '80s.

The article states they are simply adding an RFID tag to their existing ID. The students are not impacted at all ...other than they'll be tracked to within 6" of the their location at all times. ...other than that, no impact.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I won't be able to skip classes anymore. :(

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's not h RFID works. It can only tell when you are very near a reader. Think easy pass or your credit card. It's the same technology.

Basically you can put readers in each room and a student scans their card to check in. That's how they would do the tracking.

12. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Lol shutup hightop

13. Nook

Nook Member

I cannot believe we are worried about ID chip readers when there are more pressing concerns like providing contraceptives and free abortions for pregnant high school students.

14. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I didn't read the whole thing but why not just put the ID in your locker if you want to get out of school?

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I went to school in the '80s through the mid-'90s. Admittedly it wasn't in Houston and my senior high might have only been 3,000; but logistically it seemed like whatever information they would have needed from an ID, they could have gotten through word of mouth or halfway decent observation skills, especially once they started putting cops on campus. I never had a principal, VP or PE coach who didn't know my last name, and I wasn't popular or a jock or anything.

16. krosfyah

1. You went to high school for for like 10 years?

2. Your school had 3000 students and your principle knew the name of every kid?

Clearly you didn't go to school in Houston. Maybe Pluto?

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

My very first comment was about K-12 students, so I'm not sure how you inferred I claimed having gone to high school for ten years. The funny thing about smaller school districts back then was that a lot of your personnel grew up in that town and knew your parents or older siblings. Even though I never said that the principal knew everyone's name; I'll concede that it might be more reasonable to guess that a class principal rather than the entire school's principal could conceivably know everyone's names within a given 9-month time frame; but I honestly never had one who didn't know who I was.

Typically they also lived in the town, and if it's small enough they're already interacting or grew up with a lot people's parents. It's not that difficult to know a kid by what clique or neighborhood they're in, and everybody's info is already on file with the district; which in turn would have made the IDs that much less necessary.

18. krosfyah

My incoming frosh class had 1000+.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Even though that's probably average for a moderately sized school district nowadays, unless there were at least 50 full-time teachers to go along with it that's probably the best case for vouchers I've ever heard. I bet the only thing keeping schools this big is wanting a bigger talent pool for sports teams.

20. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

The article says they are not tracked off of campus.
    It allows them to know who is at school and who is ditching.
    It allows them to know if people are out roaming the hall, so if something goes down, you have evidence of who was in the area.

My question is how they figure they will get 1.7 million back. The program will cost them $600,000+ the first year. The higher attendance money is the only relevant figure. It seems like the medicaid reimbursements would be a separate program from these IDs.

Is their attendance really that distorted that they expect to get a significant payback from this? I think the school would benefit from the program, but not monetarily.