1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas ranked #7 in AP preseason Poll

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Cat, Aug 5, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

In case you hadn't heard, here's the AP college football top 25 that came out today.

1. Nebraska (36)  12-1  1,732  3  
    2. Florida St. (29)  12-0  1,720  1  
    3. Alabama (3)  10-3  1,570  8  
    4. Wisconsin (1)  10-2  1,408  4  
    5. Miami  9-4  1,392  15  
    6. Michigan  10-2  1,380  5  
    7. Texas (2)  9-5  1,297  21  
    8. Kansas St.  11-1  1,276  6  
    9. Florida  9-4  1,255  12  
    10. Georgia  8-4  1,226  16  
    11. Virginia Tech  11-1  1,044  2  
    12. Tennessee  9-3  940  9  
    13. Washington  7-5  816  -  
    14. Purdue  7-5  751  25  
    15. Southern Cal  6-6  723  -  
    16. Ohio St.  6-6  601  -  
    17. Clemson  6-6  599  -  
    18. Mississippi  8-4  541  22  
    19. Oklahoma  7-5  455  -  
    20. TCU  8-4  404  -  
    21. Illinois  8-4  361  24  
    22. Penn St.  10-3  359  11  
    23. Southern Miss.  9-3  224  14  
    24. Colorado  7-5  166  -  
    25. Michigan St.  10-2  145  7  

Nice preseason ranking for the Horns. 2 number one votes as well. Looking good so far guys- let's just hope Chris Simms wins out the starting QB job.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/2000/08/05/aptop25_list/

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Second Round)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000965.html

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited August 05, 2000).]

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

WHERE THE HELL IS NOTRE DAME??? [​IMG]

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life."
    ---George Carlin

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited August 05, 2000).]

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Bob,

Man ND wasn't even close. Below is the others recieving votes section. Nevertheless, they have a tough start to the season, with games the first two weeks vs. Texas A&M and Nebraska. I hope they win, cause as a Texas fan A&M and Nebraska are two of my most hated schools, but it'll be hard- especially against Nebraska.

Others receiving votes: Texas A&M 139, UCLA 115, East Carolina 75, Oregon 63, Auburn 36, Colorado St. 35, Mississippi St. 34, Utah 33, Notre Dame 32, Virginia 26, Marshall 23, Arkansas 22, Georgia Tech 10, LSU 10, Syracuse 9, BYU 7, Minnesota 5, Boston College 3, Kentucky 3, Texas Tech 3, Toledo 3, Stanford 2, Arizona St. 1, Oregon St. 1

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Second Round)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000965.html

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Saturday, August 5
    Notre Dame finishes 34th in poll

Associated Press

Notre Dame finds itself in an unfamiliar position -- unranked in The Associated Press Top 25 preseason college football poll.

For the first time since 1986, the Fighting Irish were unable to muster enough support to be ranked among the top teams. In fact, the 71 voters on the AP panel rated the Irish 34th among 115 Division I-A teams.

The Irish lost their final four games, and went 5-7 last season. As coach Bob Davie enters his fourth -- and some believe final -- campaign at Notre Dame, prospects don't look bright for a return to prominence, or the Top 25.

Among early Irish opponents are No. 1 Nebraska, No. 14 Purdue, No. 25 Michigan State and defending Pac-10 champion Stanford. The finale is at No. 15 USC.

"I can understand why we're not in the rankings," said Davie, who has a 21-16 record in three seasons. "Sure, I would like to be ranked. It would mean people on the outside have a high opinion of our team coming back.

"But we've probably been ranked a few times just on name only when maybe we didn't deserve to. We're just not going to get all bent out of shape about it."

In 1986, Lou Holtz was in his first season after replacing Gerry Faust, whose fifth and final year ended with a 5-6 record. The Irish were unranked in the '86 preseason poll, and finished 5-6. It was the last time Notre Dame posted a losing record until last year.

Last season, the Irish were No. 18 in the preseason, but dropped out of the Top 25 by the fourth poll. They were back at No. 24 in the 10th week, then fell out for good.

In Davie's first two seasons, Notre Dame opened 11th and finished unranked in '97; and opened 22nd and ended 17th in '98.

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life."
    ---George Carlin

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

i think texas will be playing for the national championship vs. florida state this year cuz they avoid nebraska and k-state and have a&m at home. Itll be an undefeated ut vs. nebraska in the title game and we'll get our revenge for last year.

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Texas vs. Alabama - Orange Bowl January 3, 2001

Chris Simms will lead the Horns to a National Championship in Miami.

[​IMG]

Or will it be The Major?
    ------------------
    "Hello! We're New Order. This is reading. You're the audience. Let's rock the ****ing house"

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited August 15, 2000).]

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Smokey...you ARE the man!

#7 now.

#1 in January.

HOOK 'EM!!!!!!!

------------------
    Bring It!!

8. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

If we don't get better line play and a more consistent running game, we're gonna be in big trouble. Pass rush has to improve, too.

The only thing that worries me about UT this year is that our schedule's too weak. There's an outside chance we might go 11-0 even though we don't have an 11-0 caliber team. Why is that a problem, you ask?

Ask West Virginia, circa 1993. They went 11-0 and got slammed by Florida in the Sugar Bowl, 41-7.

Or Ohio State in 1993; they were 9-0-1 before losing at Michigan 28-0.

There is such a thing as coming too far, too fast. Now, I think we're ready for prime time... but after the last two games of 1999, I'm a little worried about overextending ourselves.

------------------
    "To do nothing" is truly... a sentence fragment.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

A much better picture from the DMN. The guys look ticked off in their new Nike uniforms.

[​IMG]

I think we lost our concentration at the end of the year. The team looked unprepared for Texas A&M. Nebraska was just a much better team. Cavil and Humphrey did not play in the Cotton Bowl. I believe the outcome would have been different had they played.

The biggest question is at WR. Flowers is the only guy with experience. I'm not too worried about the running game as long as the OL holds up. If we play defensively like we did last season, with the schedule that we have, I can see us defending our south championship. I hope it goes further than that...at least to New Orleans or Tempe if not Miami. The early cupcakes should give us lots of momentum and confidence.

------------------
    "Hello! We're New Order. This is reading. You're the audience. Let's rock the ****ing house"

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I personally blame Mack Brown for our meltdown last year.

He was too damn lovey dovey with the Aggies after their stupid bonfire fell.

He should've said, sorry it happened, but it's completely independent from how we will prepare and motivate ourselves for this game. Instead, when the team was pumped up after halftime, he made them stop and take off their helmets out of respect. Great job Mack! Just like the respect they gave you the night before, huh?

------------------
    "I'll drop kick those f*ckin' dogs if they come anywhere near me."

visit www.swirve.com