1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Longhorns Can Win the Final 4

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by glynch, Aug 28, 2009.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

top five seed, ranked. Two losses max, counting Big 12 tourney.

2. The Cat

No one? Try not to speak for people beyond yourself, I have a lot of confidence in Texas having a great shot to win that game.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i'm not sure what you've seen in the last 45 days to support your opinion, but i hope you're right.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

If they win out, I could see them ranked... but I believe there's still a game to be played in Aggieland and in Baylor.

5. The Cat

Dude, they're ranked now, and by a pretty healthy margin - and you think going, say, 6-1 would hurt their standing? WTF? Texas would have to go 4-3 or worse in order to fall out of the polls.

6. The Cat

I see a good-but-not-great team. I think it helps that I also follow Missouri, a good team without championship talent - it puts it in better perspective. Yes, Texas is majorly underachieving relative to its talent level, but they're still a good team. The Tech team they beat on the road is tough - top 50 RPI and took both Mizzou and A&M (3 and 4 in conference) to the last possession in Lubbock. The Nebraska team they annihilated took K-State down to the wire in Manhattan. The Mizzou team Texas lost to (but wasn't blown out)? They're only the defending Big 12 champs who have won 35 of their last 36 at home.

I apologize for the broad generalization here, but it seems like a lot of UT fans are spoiled to the extent of thinking their teams are either a) national championship contenders or b) completely suck. In reality, there's a level in between, and somewhere in there is where UT bball is right now. A week-and-a-half ago, I pointed out that Texas would most likely need to go 2-5 or worse to finish the season to risk missing the tourney. Several of you acted like that was a realistic possibility.

Since, they're 2-1 - including a dominating win over Nebraska far more impressive than anyone in the country, including Kansas, has done to them, and a road win over a top 50 RPI team. The one loss was on the road, by 5 points, to one of the conference's best teams and a machine at home. They're right where I expected - a good but not great team. I think they'll win the two games with OSU and OU and split the A&M/Baylor road games, keeping them right around where they are now - 4/5 seed in the dance.

7. ItsMyFault

Jeez OK... my bad, don't get worked up.

They're looking good tonight vs. OK St.

8. The Cat

Sorry if I overreacted, but there really does seem to be a "either we're a national title contender, or we might as well be a doormat" attitude among a lot of UT fans that just drives me nuts. That puts me a little on edge sometimes, cause they are still a good team.

Key tonight, obviously, was Pittman. I'm not sure where his head has been in conference play, but when motivated, it's hard to find an offensive big in college ball with that combination of size, touch and footwork. Hopefully that's his awakening - I think A&M showed tonight that they're vulnerable on the glass, and Texas should have a lot of second-chance opportunities if they come out focused on Saturday.

1 person likes this.
  9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think the fans have that attitude because the team is playing that way. Kick the crap out of a very good Michigan St. team and then hold on for dear life against a bad TAMU-CC team. Up down Up down. It gets a bit frustrating to watch because we know they can be a team that can contend for the title.

On Pittman, I wonder if losing Balbay is actually a blessing in disguise for him. If Balbay and Pittman were on the court at the same time, defenses could simply clog the lane and dare Balbay to shoot...which he wouldn't. It seemed like there was a little more room for Pittman to operate because there were actual threats to score handling the ball. Even James was shooting more from the outside, creating space for Pittman. I have a feeling we'll be seeing the better side of DP the rest of the way. If so, this team can be back to contender status as long as they limit the turnovers and hit a little better from the line (which they have been of late).

10. Major

Major Member

I think whether they are a good team depends on (a) your definition of good and (b) your time fame.

They *were* a great team for much of the season - that got them to 17-0. And that keeps them ranked and in good shape for a decent seed going into the tournament. But they are also 5-6 in their last 11 games. That's not a good team. That's an OK team. Losing 3 out of 4 or something like that could be attributed to a simple slump - but we're talking about a substantial chunk of the season now.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

A loss tonight at home to OU could be the final blow to any hope of this team getting back even close to what they were leading up to the #1 ranking. I'm not saying they were going to get there, but another bad loss to a bad team would probably put the nail in the coffin in regards to their confidence. With so little time left, they need to find some glimmer of hope now or they could be a first round out in the tourney. They're currently predicted to be an 8 seed playing against a hot Cal team.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Too many injuries, too much Rick Barnes control freaking......season gone south.

DD

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ward was out at the the beginning of the season. Balbay just got hurt and wasn't playing good anyways imo..

It comes down to the lack of consistency from the guard positions and Pittman playing average at best.

A lot was riding on Bradley playing like a beast, but he has been slumping which is somewhat expected from a freshmen.

14. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

A couple months ago we were #1. Now, we aren't even ranked and will probably not go to the Madness.

What happened?

15. The Cat

I really hope there's a joke here I'm not getting.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The real joke is UT going 6-7 in their last 13 games after starting 17-0. The 17-0 may as well have been last season but it will get them a 7/8/9 seed. The product they've put on the floor the last 2 months doesn't deserve a bid.

To DD, all successful college basketball coaches exercise a lot of control. Apparently Barnes has some guys that don't want to play his way and hopefully for UT basketball they will leave after the season is over.

17. BasketballReasons

:eek:

My bad, typo error, meant to say "probably not go far into the Madness"

18. BasketballReasons

The problem is Barnes has yet to show he can be a succesful coach with UT in the tournament.

19. ItsMyFault

Longhorns are ranked #25... and if they win tonight, they should be going up the ladder. I don't know how you think they wont make the Tournament... unless you don't watch College Basketball...

20. BasketballReasons

As I said 2 posts above, it was a typo mistake. And fyi, they are NOT ranked on the AP.