1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas House Bill 1774

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by larsv8, Aug 28, 2017.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We should debate this bill.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=HB1774

https://communityimpact.com/houston...y-avoid-implications-new-texas-insurance-law/

http://www.texasmonthly.com/burka-b...paign=Web+Social&utm_content=Harvey+Insurance

Its about time we protected insurance companies. They are really suffering. Victims can be such leeches, you know?

KingCheetah and Deckard like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, thanks again Facists.....

SHEESH !

DD

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My significant other, a retired state executive, has been raising hell in the house (our house) about this all day. I may have to buy ear plugs. That the bill was passed at all is outrageous, but that this will go into effect in just a few days, have a direct impact on possibly tens of thousands of Texans, and most of them haven't got a clue that there is a deadline or, hell, even a bill.

The party in power in the Legislature are a bunch of greedy self-righteous, and bigoted assholes, starting with the Governor and the Lt. Governor. They trip over themselves to give handouts to an industry that doesn't need them, stealing from the pockets of ordinary Texans in order to do so. It is an absolute outrage.

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Wow. I think more people need to be aware of this ****.

How can we get the word out?

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

go GOP! Well, it is Texas after all.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Contact the Chronicle, and the local TV and radio stations. That and social media is a start. If you know anyone who will be harmed by the bill, contact them and let them know what's going on. Abbott has been busy today soaking up the media spotlight with trump, etc., and has he mentioned it? The man certainly knows about the bill. What a conniving corrupt weasel.

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yeah, I think contacting friends and family who will be affected by this **** and letting them know is a great place to start.

For those of us who have had a lot of property damage during this disaster, this is vital information.

I think we need to post this in the hangout as well. So those of us who don't venture down to the D&D much can see it.

Deckard likes this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You or Lars should start a thread in Hangout about it. I mentioned Lars' OP in the Hurricane thread, but this deserves it's own thread, in my opinion.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Penalizing insurance companies is COMMUNISM. People have a choice to be ripped off and its their fault for CHOOSING to live in a state that does!

America!

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. pirc1

People do not need no insurance help, they can pull themselves up by the boot strap, MAGA, LOL. is there any doubt where GOP's allegiance lies?

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Not saying i agree or disagree with bill just that the obvious benefit of the bill is that premiums go down. The 'Protecting insurance companies' argument misses the point entirely. Gotta love these articles that don't even bother to ask someone who supported the bill why they did it. great journalism.

12. Major

Major Member

It lowers premiums by lowering the legal fees and penalties they no longer have to pay when they try to avoid paying claims they owe. Basically, it lowers premiums by making it easy for insurers to commit fraud. Not sure that's a "benefit" in most people's minds.

Deckard and KingCheetah like this.
  13. pirc1

If you cannot use your insurance after a disaster, what is the point of a low premium insurance? I bet insurance companies would be able to charge very very low premiums if they do not have to pay anything after a disaster, LOL.

14. tallanvor

FIFY

can somebody who doesn't support the bill explain why 18% penalty is more appropriate than 10%.

15. Major

Major Member

Do you think a smaller penalty is likely to incentivize or disincentivize insurers from paying claims in a timely manner?

Do you think a lower risk of insurers having to pay plantiff's attorney fees is going to encourage or discourage the little guy from suing an insurer for money owed?

What do you think the practical effects are to the insured of lowering the cost for insurers to delay payments or fight against claims? Do you see this as a benefit to the insured?

16. tallanvor

disincentive. so would you support making the penalty 1000%? if not , then why not?

discourage

not sure if it benefits the insured, but the argument for it is lower premiums. have seen no data from other states so hard to tell anything really.

#16 tallanvor, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  17. larsv8

That is not an obvious benefit. Premiums are based on risk models and may or may not include provisions for unethical business practices. Lawsuits and fines would be below the line and would only affect profits.

We don't need to.

We only need to understand why it is appropriate to move it to 10%

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I'm Sure BobbyTheWeak loves this bill.

19. larsv8

Irrelevant.

Appeals to the extreme are logical fallacies which only detract from the true issues here.

20. conquistador#11

People get taken advantage by banks, housing markets and insurances
    but they keep on electing politicians that come up with these self interest policies.
    That's my biggest WTF. I'm to the point that I don't blame the crooked politicians.