1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 9, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For those who haven't read her official statement, it says, "the door, which was slightly ajar, fully opened under the insertion of the key."

I was suspecting that the doors auto-closed. It's a new apt complex with lots of security features throughout. Makes sense they would be heavy, auto-closing doors.

Multiple witness testimony about hearing knocking and "let me in" repeatedly, plus the mechanical nature of the doors, can unravel her story. If it unravels, prosecutors don't need a bombshell. That is the bombshell.

And that is regarding 2nd Degree Murder intent vs Manslaghter. Her Manslaughter "I was spooked" defense loses all weight, once the owner opens the door, and prosecutors might increase the charges to 2nd Degree Murder.

#181 heypartner, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I suppose there is an ambiguity in the wording here.

Her defense could argue that she wasn't attempting to unlawfully enter someone else's apartment. She was attempting to enter her own apartment, and by mistake entered the wrong one.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Isn't that the white supremacist sign homeboy is tossing?

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

"Belief" that someone broke in is not justification for shooting someone and you sound extremely silly stating that over and over.

You cannot walk into any location and "believe" it to be your own and shoot someone because you "believe" they're burglarizing your home and call that justified. Being "Mistaken" is not a defense for killing someone.

That is not the law.

Like I said, she is looking at a MINIMUM of manslaughter.

The killing was completely unjustified in any sense.

5. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

It's seems like a very important to point out that she was committing a felony. It doesnt matter if you believe her explanation or not. She unlawfully entered the guys apartment without permission or a warrant. Ignorance is not a valid defense for that.

My question is why shouldn't the charges be upgraded to 2nd degree murder based on the felony murder doctrine. A death occurred during the commission of a felony so manslaughter charges should be upgraded to murder charges based on that.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We all know that this women is being coached and told what to do by the police union right?

As soon as the Union gets involved they will do whatever it takes to minimize the incident and trash the victim.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  7. durvasa

I think she has to be aware of the fact that she was entering someone else's apartment. She was aware that she was entering an apartment. But not that she was entering someone else's apartment.

If a person is sleep walking and somehow enters someone else's apartment and attacks them, can that be used as a defense?

8. heypartner

No.

Let's not make the "sleepwalking" analogy. Stick with the case. They took a blood sample to see if she was impaired. If she was under the influence or, otherwise impaired, then her defense will weaken tremendously, no matter how she got in ... door "ajar" or not ... nor will it matter where she thought she was.

I don't think she was impaired. Just saying the "sleepwalking" analogy is not really pertinent vs the "confusion due to impairment" issue that is actually part of the investigation.

9. durvasa

OK. But confusion due to impairment or extreme lack of awareness could be used as a defense against a murder charge, couldn't it?

10. Granville

Granville Member

Please post where the Dallas Police Department trashed this victim.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The officer claimed the victim was being non compliant. No way to prove or disprove that since the guy is dead.

13. Granville

Granville Member

The officer's statement is part of the arrest warrant. Since she is claiming she thought he was a burglar and was trying to arrest him it makes sense that she'd say that. The Police Department isn't bashing the victim, they are filing charges against the officer. They are on the victim's side.. Lighten up, Francis.

14. heypartner

Do you mean a defense vs 2nd Degree Murder? The impairment that they are investigating in this case isn't a defense to Manslaughter, but it is defense to 2nd Degree Murder.

If you are asking about all cases of impairment, then I don't really care to discuss things so far off-track from the case. (Suffice it to say, this is a highly unique case of murder-while-confused.) But we do know Impairment due to "sleepwalking" typically does get ppl off of manslaughter charges. However, impairment due to "under the influence" typically does not. Drunk drivers are actually in a state of blackout, very often, and truly due not know where they are. Impairment due to emotional rage "Heat of Passion" defense is also defense vs 2nd Degree, but not Manslaughter.

15. Granville

Granville Member

That's not the Police Department bashing the victim, you do comprehend that, right? It's a statement from a defendant in a criminal case.

16. durvasa

How about impairment due to just general lack of awareness of surroundings?

17. heypartner

Are you looking for a suitable precedence? I don't think you are going to find a case of "Stand your ground" where someone was confused where they were.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ahh, O-KKK.

19. heypartner

An ADL spokesman said "no," not me. Plus the guy in photo said he was going for a 69, due to the father in the picture celebrating his 69th bday. They were out for dinner.

#199 heypartner, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, I just proved to you that it is.....

You can argue that you don't like the law, but you can't argue about what the law actually is. I mean, when I show you the actual statute, you can't claim ignorance so you are saying these ridiculous things willfully.