1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Buck Turgidson

I could be wrong (shocking, I know) but they closed the domestic slaughterhouses that sent horse meat overseas (they would round up a whole bunch of the overpopulated wild mustangs in NM/AZ area, it was a good thing ecologically), it has not for a long time been USDA approved for people food, just dogs, cats and foreigners.

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

Looks like you're right, although that may change soon. I misread that horses could be used for US human consumption; and it only appears that can be slaughtered for human consumption out side the US.

http://newstarget.com/2016-02-23-us...oducing-horse-meat-for-human-consumption.html

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ive never had horse meat YET, but when I do, I hope its in Sicily, where its just an everyday meat.

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I did another Saturday AM worse than normal weather trip to Snow's and walked right up at 10:30 and bought 6 lbs of moist brisket a LB of ribs and a link of sausage. It was all as good as always.

5. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

I need to get there--they cut a bunch off the point or was it from the flat with the fat on top? I like both as long as it's fatty and has the char still on it.

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I ordered 3lbs unsliced so they gave me the whole point. Then I ordered another 3lbs unsliced and they pulled out another point and they gave me that as well. I then got 1/2 lb sliced so I could eat it in the car. (you know for breakfast).

I was meeting my sister in Giddings because my Grandma wanted to go to Houston for a while and thats where we meet because it's about half way between austin and houston.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

John Mueller is returning to the CenTex bbq scene. Black Box BBQ will first be a trailer in oldtown Georgetown, then they're going to start building an actual place there soon. Historic Gtown isn't a bad little daytrip from Austin, it's nice, lots of shops and market type stuff on the weekends for the ladies to walk around and look at while the guys drink beer on a patio.

Hope it works out for him this time.

eta: his trailer is supposedly opening this weekend.

#1327 Buck Turgidson, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Nook, VooDooPope and fallenphoenix like this.
  8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

No offense to Aaron Franklin, and I doubt he would be offended, but Snow's is back on top of Texas Monthly's top 50. Back on top where it should be.

heypartner likes this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If anyone is ever in Denver and wants Texas BBQ, OwlBear BBQ was opened by a guy that used to work at Franklin's, Franklin's entire staff told me to check it out. I did and their brisket is every bit as good as Franklin's if not better imo. Also there is a strict no sauce policy, locals in Denver don't like/understand that

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Has anyone tried that place in Tomball that's #6?

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Ironically some of the best Texas BBQ I've ever had... was not in Texas.

http://hillcountry.com/dc/

Liked it so much I hosted my wedding there, in fact.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Shlt. Thx for the heads up.

I am skeptical though, because I honestly believe the humidity in Texas (even Austin) aids in the slow brisket Magic. The arid climate here in CO and high altitude screw with your fire dynamics. I basically had to relearn everything about my smoker, and still haven't achieved my Peak Houston quality.

That said, my Houston smoker did finally die, and I made a poor choice on replacement.

#1333 heypartner, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

RIP. Hope the family keeps it going.

On a related note a little BBQ truck (Alzer's BBQ) popped up in Cedar Park a couple weeks ago. Tried them out saturday. Moist brisket was decent. Beef spare ribs were OK but not much meat on them. Smoked Quail were the thing that will have me stopping back in. 3 smoked quail for $10 seems like a decent deal.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Pfftt... that's just a remote Texas bbq started by a Texan. ;)

18. body slam

body slam Member

Is BBQ becoming overrated? Seems like everywhere I go there is some new BBQ joint popping up. Almost like everyone is trying to burn brisket.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Finally had Franklin’s brisket (an Austin friend picked up a whole brisket to go) and gotta say it was amazing. Lived up to the hype.

That said, I think Roegel’s in Houston is about 90% as good with a smililar flavor profile.

Buck Turgidson and tinman like this.
  20. Roscoe Arbuckle

Tried Pit Room on Richmond this afternoon.

Pulled Pork and their Elote side were excellent.
    Potato salad was very good.
    Brisket and Czech sausage were good, but I prefer them much moister than they were.
    Sauce was ok, at first, but got a little too sweet for me after a couple dips.
    Bread was pointless. I've never understood why every BBQ joint puts a slice of bread in the meal.

Overall, I'll definitely go back for the pork and elote, and I'll give the brisket another try, as my friend was the one who recommended it, and I know he's had good brisket.