1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M will not have a bonfire this upcoming season.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Puedlfor, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Well, I'm not sure if y'all saw this, but the president of A&M, Ray Bowen, announced that there will not be a bonfire built this year due to cost issues, and concerns over safety. Any opinions on this?

I, frankly, think it was the right move to make.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Gee willikers. I'm heartbroken.

#2 RocketMan Tex, Feb 5, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2002
  3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

bad pun...

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Agreed. That's why I changed it.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

6. deepellumrocket

I saw the announcement on the news and they showed a bunch of the students angrily leaving the press conference. They interviewed one freshman and he was saying how dissapointed he was because he had worked so hard all his life to get to A&M so he could participate in bonfire and they were taking that away from him. These students (and I realize they probably don't represent every Aggie) struck me as incredibly selfish. They just can't get it through their thick skulls that just over two years ago 12 young people full of promise and potential died because of their glorified pep-rally. "Tradition" is no justification for this.

(Full disclosure: I am a Texas grad, but I believe my opinions on this subject are still valid.)

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Come on! Why are they cancelling the bonfire? A & M needs some more players for the squash team...