1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans withdraw pursuit of Nick Caserio

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Jun 14, 2019.

1. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

i really dont understand what the patroiots are doing (if the guys wants to leave for texans GM - why dont you let him leave?

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Same. It looks like we could have kept Gaine for another season though but I like how we swung for the fences.

BoB better produce after everything that has happened.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

They were willing to let him leave, they just wanted compensation from the Texans. Even if they had said no you can't go, there were avenues and precedent that would've allowed the Texans to hire Caserio straight up. Unfortunately it seems that the Pats have something over us that the Texans don't want to further pursuit at this time.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah, the Pats have a set of balls.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

You mean Scoreboard?

gucci888 likes this.
  7. gucci888

Was thinking more like actual evidence of tampering.

snowconeman22, tmoney1101 and sammy like this.
  8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

They fired the GM one season in. Nobody would have expected that.. what the Texans tried to accomplish was ballsy.

We had to back off for now, but we'll get Casario after the season.

9. Buck Turgidson

Hope he knows a good coach to hire.

That would be epically Texans: BOB wins power struggle, BOB fires GM, BOB wants to hire his buddy as GM, Pats say FU, after the season Texans get to hire BOB's buddy, BOB's buddy fires BOB

snowconeman22, Kim and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

"I've always been involved in personnel decisions."
    So much for those who said otherwise. :D

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. gucci888

Dude has 35 followers so I’d take that with a grain of salt. But man that would be another huge punch in the gut.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pa...ick-caserio-said-plenty-training-camp-presser

Asked if he had any disappointment about being blocked from interviewing with the Texans (it’s now been twice in three years), Caserio responded, "I love being here, and right now we're focused on trying to get the team ready for this season. I'm happy to be here and I love what I do on a day-to-day basis."

Another Houston question: "I'd say I'm pretty honored and privileged to be in the position I'm in...I'm fortunate and honored to work with Bill on a day to day basis and a lot of other people in this building."

A question about wanting to someday have sole responsibility for building a team: "I'm not really focused on the hypotheticals. I'm focused on today. Honestly, I'm focused on trying to be the best version of myself each and every day."

If Caserio wanted to squish it, it would have been easy. A simple, “I’m certainly flattered by the Texans interest, lotta respect for the folks there, but this is where I want to be and it worked out for the best.”

Didn’t get that.

Caserio’s contract is up after the next draft. Even though he gets consistent verbal credit from Bill Belichick for being one of the league’s most valuable front-office executives, his title remains Director of Player Personnel. Not VP. Not GM.

And while Belichick likes to dismiss the importance of titles – even if they mattered plenty to him in the span from 1991 to 2000 when he was the one trying to maneuver and climb into positions of power. The fact that Caserio’s got such a humble title is, in part, what allows the perception to remain that Belichick runs all.

Meanwhile, the Patriots give Caserio enough credit and responsibility to make it easy for them to argue he is a “high level employee” without the title and, hence, not eligible to interview for a GM job.

[...]

It’s obvious the Texans thought they’d have a clean run at Caserio. They fired their GM Brian Gaine and immediately requested permission to interview Caserio. That just doesn’t happen in June.

The request also came soon after the Patriots “ring ceremony” at which former Patriots employee Jack Easterby was in attendance. Easterby, who’s now got a prominent role with the Texans, had ample time to gauge Caserio’s interest in joining Houston during that event.

So the Patriots and Belichick are well within their rights to be pissed off if they believe there was backroom dealing in trying to get Caserio to the Texans. He’s still under contract. It’s the eve of the season. It’s a shady thing to do. If it went down that way.

And Caserio – now twice blocked for the opportunity to even interview with Houston – has to be wondering whether all this loyalty and servitude is really worth it if he doesn’t have the autonomy to listen to the pitch for what would be a promotion.

It got messy. It got dropped. It’s been pocketed for the time being by all parties. But it sure doesn’t feel like it’s forgotten.

snowconeman22 and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. showa13

showa13 Member

Caserio didn’t do anything to quiet the noise around him and the Texans

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

This is great news.
    I was expecting an extension announcement.
    I think best-case scenario now would be if we had agreed with N.E. to drop everything for now, let him finish this season and then they let him go after the season but BEFORE next year's draft.

If it plays out like that it will show that both sides gave something to keep this clean (media wise).
    If Caserio remains a pat till after next year's draft it will show that N.E. called us (poker term) and we folded.

It is nice that we aren't laughingstocks again.
    At least for now.
    We have (probably) the whole year for the Belichik warmth, and charm to take over and make Caserio want to be there with Bill for life (...I love you man!).
    Or maybe they find/film/concoct something on Caserio to leverage him into staying for good.
    The patriot way!!!

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I wonder if we had just pony'ed up the 1st rounder for Caserio back then, would we have made up for it (1st rounder) in the terms of all the trades we have made the last 3-4 days?
    You almost have to believe so.

Plus we would have a head start on building the scouting staff and building our database of player info for next year.

Still hoping NE agreed (wink, wink!) to let him go after this season is over.
    I mean if you're NE would you want a lame duck gm selecting players for you he won't be involved with in a matter of weeks/months?

csj and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Even though we don't have draft picks, the GM spot should be pretty attractive given how much cap space we have. Hopefully Caserio knows what the **** he's doing.

red5rocket, Rudyc281 and csj like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And he can draft really well and hit on the few picks we do have.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why do they need caserio?

They are wheeling and dealing and ripping teams off left and right