1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

TEXANS TRADE BROCK OSWEILER TO CLEVELAND BROWNS

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Mar 9, 2017.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Let me guess
    "I have to be better and I will be better"

"No one will work harder than me preparing for next week"

macho GRANDE and Fulgore like this.
  2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

He needs to grow a beard or something, maybe he'll play like a man

3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Edit: Wrong thread.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After watching his interview from last night I had to laugh. He hasn't changed one bit. He really believes in himself. I actually feel sorry for him, because he is a nice guy, and seems to do all the right things....................................except avoid interceptions or hit his targets. I won't miss that at all this year.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I saw him play last night. Still awful but talks a good game. Reminds me of that old quote, has a Cadillac body and a Volkswagen heart (talent in Osweiler's case).

deb4rockets likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He got overpaid bigtime. I think he's happy with his $37 million even though he's become a joke

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yeah, that's a huge amount of money for a QB of his ability. If he is smart he can just put it in the bank and live off the interest.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Listen to this man.

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Worst qb in franchise history and that's saying a lot

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

He needs to get a job in PR, he has made millions selling a flawed product. Who does that?

deb4rockets likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

He would definitely be a great snake oil salesman! He could probably even sell oceanfront property in Kentucky to some of the Browns fans.

12. Fantasma Negro

How much of that was guaranteed again?

13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I bet Brock is livid!

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

$37m is guaranteed.

The total was like $72 million lol. Nice one Texans,

15. Fantasma Negro

**** yeah he's happy. He's gonna say all the right things until he's cut in two weeks and then take his money and disappear to Montana never to be seen or heard from again. What a great business model lol

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

"I knew a little about Kurt's life, but I really learned about it watching that show," Osweiler told B/R midway through Browns training camp. "I thought, 'Why can't that be me? Why can't I make a comeback? Why can't I be a champion in this league?'"

"It doesn't matter what people think of me," he said. "I'm not looking backwards. I'm not looking at what happened in Houston. I have no bad feelings toward them. I'm here to be a starting quarterback in this league. I know I can be.

"Nothing is going to deter me from believing in myself. When I walk around here, I'm encouraged, and the entire environment is supportive. I feel like I have a fair chance to succeed here."

The Texans were a crippled offense with Osweiler at the helm. Some of that was his fault (a league second-worst 73.4 passer rating), some of it was terrible offensive line play (32 sacks allowed last season). But he took most of the blame, thanks to a four-year, $72 million contract that included $37 million in guaranteed money. In Week 15, he was benched for Tom Savage.

"I saw a man broken into a thousand different pieces by the end of the season," said one former Texans teammate.

This wasn't the way it was supposed to be, not after he was tapped as the man to replace Peyton Manning and then to be the franchise quarterback for a rising Texans club a year later.

What happened? Why did a player with so much promise end up here, his future as a starter in doubt?

Four players, two who played with Osweiler in Denver and two in Houston, provided some blunt answers. They asked not to be identified.

Osweiler, all of the players said, was extremely well-liked. One Broncos defender called him "happy-go-lucky Brock."

His popularity only increased in the Denver locker room after he was named the starter in November of 2015. The Osweiler we see now is nothing like that version. That Osweiler was decisive and, at times, simply brilliant. He had two touchdowns and a 127.1 passer rating against Chicago. The following week, he defeated the then-unbeaten New England Patriots. He won a third straight one week later against San Diego.

Osweiler finished the season with an 86.4 passer rating, and several teams looked at him as starting material. Yet inside the Denver organization, players and others noticed what they viewed as warning signs.

Players said that as teams began getting more tape on Osweiler, and studying his tendencies, they were better able to mold defenses that could attack him specifically. As these defenses got more complex, Osweiler became increasingly fooled.

"We did things schematically to cover up some of his weaknesses," said one Denver player.

Osweiler had an increasingly difficult time reading defenses as the season went on. Texans players said this was a massive problem in Houston as well.

As in Denver, players in the Texans locker room liked Osweiler. He was supportive and constantly praised teammates. But his struggle to read defenses became a full-blown plague.

"I love Brock, but he got fooled a lot," explained one player.

According to all four players, Osweiler became more inaccurate the more he panicked about the coverages he was trying to decipher.

He won't talk about what happened in Houston now. It was clear that Osweiler and Texans coach Bill O'Brien clashed and Osweiler seemed to be criticizing O'Brien in July when speaking of his throwing motion.

"I think that's something that slid last season," Osweiler told reporters in June, speaking of his fundamentals. "I'm not going to go into great detail on that, but they did. My fundamentals slid, and because of that, you saw some poor decisions and some poor throws. If you go back to 2015 (in Denver), I feel like my fundamentals were pretty tight."

The Browns worked all offseason on Osweiler's mechanics.

"Brock was a long-strider," quarterbacks coach David Lee said. "Brock knows that when we start moving around and the bullets start flying, his legs get long again like daddy longlegs and that's when he gets in trouble and the ball sails. It comes out of his hand too high because of his long stride, and his body doesn't catch up. The brain says let it go, but their body hasn't caught up with their front foot."

That sounds plausible, but fundamentals aren't the problem.

When you watch Osweiler on tape, his footwork has long been slightly awkward because of his height. What has changed is that defenses know they can get to him, and Osweiler seems to get rattled in ways he didn't in Denver, when defenses were just introduced to him.

Of course, he can still turn it around. Osweiler has showed glimpses of excellence in the past and he's also a solid athlete. (He averaged almost 24.9 points and 14.5 rebounds a game in high school and originally accepted a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga before deciding to play football at Arizona State.)

And then there's Warner. As Osweiler saw, if it can happen to Warner, couldn't it happen to him, too?

"I'm confident in what I can do," he said. "Anything can happen in the NFL."

18. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

19. today

today Contributing Member

Clarified: The total was like $72 million lol. Nice one Rick Smith

20. J.R.

J.R. Member