1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to trade up to mid 1st Rnd?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Possum, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Possum

Possum Member

Got this from the great blue draft report=Texans looking to trade up...Hard to imagine that the team holding the #1 pick overall is looking to trade up, but after making David Carr the first player taken tomorrow, Houston reportedly would be willing to package its two second round selections in order to move back into the mid-to-late first round. The Texans reportedly would be targeting a pass-catching TE, preferably Jeremy Shockey of Miami, or if he goes too early, as expected, Dan Graham of Colorado.

It would be awsome to get Shockey:cool: Having a threat at TE like him could really help Carr develop that much faster.

2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

hmmmm......I would think if they were going to move up it would be to shore up the 3-4 defense. I dont see them moving up for a tight end when Capers is a defensive minded coach. Just my 2 cents

3. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Dwight Freeney to be our other outside linebacker?

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Yeah, but they've invested a ton in David Carr. He needs targets.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With the solid depth at WR in this draft, I think there'll definately be quality guys avalable later in the draft. A couple who come to mind:

IMHO, possible 3rd round steals:

Marquis Walker - 4.5+ 40 dropping him
    Tim Carter - decent size, 4.39 40 but limited skills

Fourth or fifth round high quality guys:

Kelly Campbell (he's been dropping because he doesn't measure up well in the statistical categories, but was productive in college, & was Carr's favorite reciever at the Senior Bowl)

Brian Poi-Dixon - IMHO, a star waitng to happen. Ed McCafferty type size, and good skills. Known as an under-achiever, and has had some injury problems.

Kahlil Hill - great talent, solid pegagree, wonderfull skills, but known as a slacker and a narcsist. He seems like one of those guys who perhaps wasn't pushed enough in college, and will actually be a much better pro. He looked wonderfull at the Blue-Grey game.

sixth or seventh:

Antwan Randle-El - is too talented to be anything but a solid pro, despite being moved from QB to WR.

I think that any one of these guys could turn out to be better than the guys who are slated to go in the second round.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Otto-I agree with all of your sleepers, except for Campbell. He's got great speed, but very shaky hands. Very similar to ex-teammate Dez White...

Marquise Walker will be a very solid possesion WR. I think he will be a 70-80 catches a year guy.

El is interesting, but he would only fit in as a 3rd down, slot WR.

I also am intrigued with Poli-Dixon's 6 ft 5 frame.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're probably right.

I'd suggest that, as an old Oilers fan, the lesson of Ernest Givins in '86 is burned into my memory. The guy was a very productive college guy, who fell to the second round behind guys like Mike Sherrard and (the admitedly decent) Tim McGhee just because he didn't have the combine numbers.

Givins constrasts rather nicely with much balyhooed Haywood Jeffires, who was very good but never lived up to the hype. I'm seeing Campbell through these lenses, so my opinion is probably distorted a bit.

Randle-El, IMHO, is one of those elusive 'playmakers'. Stuff happens when he gets the ball as a QB, and in a limited sample stuff seems to happen when he gets the ball as a WR. Though he may be a career slot/3rd reciever, I still think he'll be effecient, productive, and exciting whenever he gets on the field.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Ottomaton-Being a 3rd down/slot WR isn't a bad thing necessarily, since teams use 3-4 WR sets 50% of the time anyway.

And they use it 80% of the time on pass plays...