1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to play Giants in 1st exhibition

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROCKSS, Nov 14, 2001.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

HOUSTON -- The expansion Houston Texans will make their debut against the New York Giants in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game Aug. 5, Texans owner Bob McNair announced Tuesday.

"In terms of introducing our team to America, I think this will gain the largest audience and it gets us in the New York market," McNair said. "Also, the Giants are one of the oldest teams in the NFL and it's good to have the old with the new."

After the preseason opener in Canton, Ohio, the Texans will play at New Orleans and at Kansas City before playing their first game at home in the newly constructed Reliant Stadium against the Miami Dolphins.

The Texans then will play their final preseason games at New Orleans and Tampa Bay before getting ready for their inaugural season.

The Texans originally expected to play their regional rivals, the Dallas Cowboys, in the preseason, but McNair thinks the two Texas teams will meet in the regular season.

"It wouldn't make a lot of sense to play in preseason and then play in the regular season," he said. "Hopefully it will work out that we can open the regular season with them.

"It hasn't been announced but I believe that's the way it's going to come down. I hope so."

Coach Dom Capers, who has started directing player tryouts, was pleased to find out his opponents.

"The Giants are the Super Bowl representative and one of the more physical teams in the NFL," Capers said. "From a coaching standpoint, it gives you an idea of what you have to prepare for. As the second half of the season starts, we'll be looking a lot more at the Giants."

The Texans can begin signing players Dec. 27. The NFL will provide an expansion draft Feb. 18 to help fill the team and the Texans will have the first pick in the NFL draft next April.

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I can hear the promo:

"Little Chris watched from the sidelines as his father Phil led the New York Giants to an NFL championship. From being a high school phenom in South Jersey to leading Texas to a top 10 finish for the first time since 1983, Chris, the 2002 # 1 overall and first draft pick in Houston Texans history, begins his NFL career tonight versus his favorite childhood team. It's the Texans and the Giants...next!"

I'm being very very nice :p