1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Zach Wiegert

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hottoddie, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/index.cfm?page_type=sub&cont_id=166529

Texans sign Wiegert
    March 1, 2003

The Texans announced Saturday that they have signed unrestricted free agent offensive lineman Zach Wiegert.

Wiegert (6-5, 309), entering his ninth NFL season, played the past four seasons for the Jacksonville Jaguars. He started 43 of 47 games for the Jaguars – 28 at right guard, 10 at right tackle and five at left tackle. Wiegert started at both left and right tackle last season before a knee injury landed him on injured reserve after seven games.

“We have made it a priority during this off-season to upgrade our offensive line,” Texans general manager Charley Casserly said. “Zach is a powerful and versatile player who should immediately upgrade our line.”

Wiegert, a former Outland Trophy winner at the University of Nebraska, was originally drafted by the St. Louis Rams in the second round of the 1995 NFL Draft. He started 46 games over four seasons in St. Louis, primarily at right guard.

Over his eight-year career, Wiegert (pronounced WEE-gert) has started 89 of 96 career games, plus two playoff starts. He is the Texans’ first unrestricted free agency signing of 2003.

The Texans also announced that they have claimed linebacker Patrick Chukwurah off waivers from Minnesota.

Chukwurah, a third-year pro out of Wyoming, played in 11 games for the Vikings last season with two starts. He collected 14 tackles and 12 special teams stops. Chukwurah has 23 career tackles, plus two forced fumbles and 2.5 sacks.

Chukwurah was originally a fifth-round selection by the Vikings in the 2001 NFL Draft. He lettered three years at Wyoming, earning first-team All-Western Athletic Conference honors as a senior.

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Good move, that adds experience to the O-line. Sure hope we can land Stephen Davis.

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

If they resign Young, they can insert Wiegert in the RG slot & the entire starting right side will be solid. I'm not sure if I'd be willing to give up the 3rd pick, but if the Texans could get Orlando Pace (rumored trade) in exchange for the 3rd pick & possibly a 2nd or 3rd round selection, I think I'd have to do it. I might even consider signing him out right, even if it did cost me two #1 picks.

With the addition of Pace, we could slide Pitts over to the LG slot & have an awesome starting line for several years. If Boselli is able to return, we either insert him at LG (to take some of the stress off of his shoulder) or trade him for a draft pick.

All we'd need to do after that, is sign Stephen Davis cheap & draft a WR, or pick up a FA WR. With Carr's arm, if you give him enough time, he'll pick you apart.

4. rocketsball2003

gotta love a team that knows what to do... see the problem try and solve the problem...

it may not be solved... but its looking better:)

im still up in the air on trading 2 1st rnds for pace... that 1 posibles versus 1 bad a$$ that may have to be paid a bank and a half to keep

but todays move a good step in the right direction... to bad we could get posey... but its ok

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I have pretty much written off Boselli. If he makes it back great, but we should build the line with the mindset that he won't come back from injury. That way if he does come back we will have some depth.

Agree totally if Carr is given time he might be pretty good;) I would trade #3 for Pace in a heartbeat. You don't get a chance at an offensive lineman like him very often.

Because of Casserly's relationship with Davis, I think we have the inside track on signing him.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The Texans will not sign Ryan Young.

Young no longer fits into team's blueprint
    By CARLTON THOMPSON
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
    The Texans signed a free agent to play right tackle Saturday, and it wasn't Ryan Young.

The deal Young thought might be on the table vanished Saturday when the Texans signed Zach Wiegert to a five-year contract worth $17 million, including a $3.5 million signing bonus. The signing essentially signals the end of Young's one-year tenure in Houston.

"We made Ryan a proposal at the start of free agency, and he didn't accept it," Texans general manager Charley Casserly said. "We both understood that both us, with free agency starting, were going to go look. We like Ryan Young, but I don't see a scenario where we can afford to have Ryan Young back right now."

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

There is a rumor circulating that if the Saints are successful in signing Wayne Gandy they will accelerate attempts to trade Kyle Turley. While I myself would like to see Turley here, I'd bet anything the Texans are done adding big names to the O-line. They might add an older cheaper guy (Richmond Webb, Blake Brockermeyer) but don't bet on them signing Gandy or making the deal for Turley or Pace. They seem confident that Boselli will contribute this year and if he can't go Pitts will start.

Just an opinion but I bet the Texans sign Stephen Davis eventually and then some depth here and there. (Cory Hall) No big names. (David Boston, Roosevelt Colvin).

Speaking of big names the Cincy Inquirer is reporting that the Bungles are looking at signing Shawn Barber from the Eagles and one way or another letting Spikes go. If this is true Spikes will get huge interest from a number of teams. You would think after Posey left, and Foreman and Mitchell are free agents that the Texans would have some LB's coming to visit. (Someone other than Bill castoff Kieth Newman). Will the Texans open the vault for a young player as proven as Spikes? Doubt it.

As for the draft situation, Kiper and his legion of morons still have us taking Gross at #3. If we trade down we're taking a tackle, if we stay put we're probably taking Andre Johnson. Casserly knows game breakers are found early in the draft and he wants one to grow with Carr. He will not reach for a need, period. And this so called need just got a shot in the arm from Zach Wiegert.

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Just found this guys it's from John McClain though I didn't see it in the Chronicle when I read through it.

Texans | May Be Forced To Shift Gears - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
    22:00 PT: The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports if the Houston Texans can't sign a free agent to replace LB Jeff Posey, who signed with the Bills, they may turn to the NFL Draft for a replacement. Arizona State DE Terrell Suggs, the best pass rusher in the draft, may then get their undivided attention. Suggs has no reservations about being able to play outside linebacker in a 3-4, even though he continues to put on weight so he can play end on a full-time basis.

I myself would be ecstatic with Suggs a game breaker on defense.

9. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Suggs = PLAYMAKER

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

News coming hot and heavy now..........

Turley offers alternative
    Saints left tackle a possible option for Dolphins
    BY JASON COLE
    jcole@herald.com

If Gandy winds up with New Orleans, which has offered him the most money, the Dolphins could talk to the Saints about left tackle Kyle Turley.

Last offseason, the Saints dealt talented left tackle Willie Roaf to Kansas City for a fourth-round draft pick. Turley probably could be had for a second-rounder.

Turley for a second rounder? Texans should jump on this.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

I read somewhere that Casserly said Suggs or Johnson. Don't know where tho'.

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Sorry guys I'm turning this thread into my own personal playground, but everytime I get back online there's another article relating to this:

Gandy says no to Steelers, heads to Saints

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Offensive tackle Wayne Gandy ended more than two days of suspense by accepting and signing a six-year, $30 million contract with the New Orleans Saints on Sunday. Included in the deal is a $5 million signing bonus.

The Steelers tried to retain Gandy, but their offer of $3 million per year did not prove to be enough.

Gandy was contacted by the Saints after free agency began early Friday morning. The Dolphins also wanted to sign him.

But the $5 million-a-year offer was too much for Gandy to reject. The Dolphins, another team courting Gandy, weren't willing to go into the $4 million range.

Gandy, who is 6-foot-5 and 308 pounds, has started all but one game since 1995 with the Steelers (1999 through 2002) and St. Louis Rams (1994-98). He started nine games in 1994 after being taken by the Rams with the 15th overall pick.

"Whenever you get a chance to bring in a top notch player you do it and getting Wayne in here will make us better,'' Saints coach Jim Haslett said. "He brings a combination of athleticism, polished pass protection techniques and run-blocking strength.''

By landing Gandy, the Saints can begin to escalate trade talks involving left tackle Kyle Turley. Turley is entering the final year of his contract and he has been encouraging a trade. The Dolphins have shown some interest. It's not out of the question for the Houston Texans to become involved.

If the Saints can't make a deal, they could still play Turley at right tackle for one season. The Saints would like a first-round choice this year or next for Turley.

With the re-signings of tackles Flozell Adams by the Dallas Cowboys and Luke Petitgout by the New York Giants, Gandy was widely considered the last top-tier offensive tackle available in free agency.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

It's not out of the question for the Houstn Texans to become involved.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

with HOU's cap space and numerous needs, it's not out of the question for them to be mentioned each and every time a player becomes available.

i'd be shocked if they had any interest in turley.

14. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Ric - I enjoy your posts and would ask you to elaborate on why you do not think the Texans will go after Turley. I havenet been able to see alot of him, but what I`ve seen really impresses me.

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

The Texans would be foolish not to consider a trade/draft pick...

Although I heard the Saints were asking for a #1...

That's kinda tought to swallow, but Turley is just what we need...

I don't get how some of you think Turley would not be a good addition...