1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Lewis Sanders

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Mar 9, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1580

HOUSTON - The Houston Texans announced today that they have signed unrestricted free agent CB Lewis Sanders.
    Sanders (6-1, 210), originally drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the fourth round (95 th overall) of the 2000 draft, played his first four seasons in Cleveland before signing with the Jacksonville Jaguars last off-season. He was re-signed by the Browns on 9/01/04 following his release from the Jaguars on 8/31/04. He suited up for all 16 games with the Cleveland Browns in 2004 and started a career high five games. He recorded two interceptions and 25 tackles.

In five NFL seasons, Sanders has played in 52 career games, with nine starts (including one at strong safety). He has four career interceptions, two fumble recoveries, one sack and 81 tackles.

A Staten Island native, Sanders attended the University of Maryland where he was only the fourth player in Terps’ history to return two kickoffs for touchdowns in his career. He was a semi-finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award to honor the nations top defensive back in 1999. In high school, played defensive back and running back on his way to earning an All-American selection by Blue Chip Illustrated at St. Peter’s High School.

I remeber seeing him play last year at Reliant and I loved him. He has size and speed and he shut down Andre Johnson to only 13 years. Small signing but could turn out to be huge with Aaron Glenn getting old.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

13 yards not 13 years, sorry.

3. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Hmmm.does this mean we dont grab one of the top CBs if they fall to 13?

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is this guy any body? or just any body? Who else was pursuing him?

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From Pro Football Weekly 2000 draft archives!

DB LEWIS SANDERS

(6-0 1/4, 202, 4.54) Maryland

Notes: A fourth-year junior who opted to leave with his class. Saw limited action in 1996, getting in on six stops. Started 10 games at free safety in ’97 and had 74 tackles, four interceptions and 19 kickoff returns for 460 yards with a TD. Missed the entire ’98 season with nerve damage in his shoulder that had to be surgically repaired. Came back in ’99 to play cornerback and had 56 tackles, 14 passes broken up and six interceptions. Also returned kickoffs 18-482-1. Worked out at the Combine but was not completely healthy.

Positives: A fine all-around athlete who is versatile and can play anywhere in the secondary. Generally covered the opposition’s best receiver in ’99. Has the desired size for cornerback, good range and above-average man-on-man coverage skills. Has excellent ball skills. Plays the ball very well. Will work on his game and study films of the receivers he will be guarding.

Negatives: Not that consistent. Needs additional work in coverage. May not be quite as quick and sudden as scouts would like a cornerback to be. Lacks good CB hips.

Summary: A bigger cornerback with enough cover skills to play that position and with starting potential at safety. With really good workouts, Sanders could move into the Chad Scott class of prospects. Was not entirely healthy at the Combine and had a slightly disappointing workout. The two most impressive things about Sanders as a corner are his size and ball skills.

---------------------------

I saw the Browns were thinking about filling a void at saftey with Sanders if thy''d resigned him. He's nice and big, but my biggest question is the speed. If he's still 4.54 fast, my guess is that the Texans signed him to be the nickle back, and to backup at FS.

Kenny Wright's first year with the Texans is the role I'm envisioning for him. Wright seemed to fall off the map last year.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Besides the above info on him, who is this guy? :confused:

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Could he be playing special teams as a return man?

9. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I read in the chronicle that he'll be a dime back.

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I believe he has already been signed by another team. The panthers...and there is a thread about it as well.