1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Sign Kent Graham

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DieHard Rocket, Apr 6, 2002.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Just saw it on the ESPN bottom line. Just a 1 year deal though. Does this mean Graham will be the starter, or do they plan on throwing Carr into the fire immediately?

I was really hoping they could bring in someone like Jeff Blake for at least a season, because I don't like the idea of starting a rookie quarterback, especially on an expansion team.

2. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Here's the link to the Chronicle story on this.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/fb/nfl/1347065

Texans, QB Graham OK deal

Roster bolstered additionally with two defensive backs, guard

By CARLTON THOMPSON
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Two months of searching for a veteran quarterback to start until David Carr is ready finally has come to an end.

Sources say the Texans have agreed to terms with 10-year veteran Kent Graham on a one-year contract worth $775,000. Graham was one of four players the expansion team brought into the fold Friday.

Safety Chris Carter signed a one-year, $550,000 contract and practiced with the team Friday morning. Cornerback Jason Simmons agreed to terms on a one-year, $625,000 deal, and guard Domingo Graham agreed to a one-year, $550,000 contract.

The Texans have been in pursuit of Kent Graham since Rob Johnson turned down their one-year, $1 million offer in February. Graham, 33, has started 38 career games and has passed for 7,801 yards and 39 touchdowns and thrown 33 interceptions.

He was the New York Giants' eighth-round pick in the 1992 draft and also has logged time with Detroit, Arizona, Pittsburgh and Washington, for which he played in three games last season.

Friday's moves also went a long way toward bolstering the Texans' depth in the secondary.

Two of their three division opponents -- Jacksonville and Indianapolis -- have deep receiving corps and will play a lot of three- and four-receiver sets, so secondary depth will be a key for the Texans.

Carter, who played at the University of Texas, can man either safety position. He was New England's third-round pick in the 1997 draft and played in every game as a rookie, winning the starting job at free safety in 1999.

Carter started 10 games for the Bengals in 2000 and four in 2001.

The acquisitions of Simmons, who performed effectively as the Steelers' fourth corner, and Jacoby Shepherd, whom the Texans got in a trade with the Rams last week, give the Texans two solid extra corners behind starters Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman.

The offensive line already was the Texans' strongest area. Acquiring Domingo Graham, who started 14 games for the Chargers last season, only makes it better.

On the flip side, the Texans' weakest position is inside linebacker. Jamie Sharper is set at one spot, but the other is up for grabs, with street free agent Billy Granville currently practicing with the first unit.

Philadelphia's decision to remove the franchise label from standout middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter on Friday, thus making him a free agent, no doubt caught the Texans' attention.

There is sure to be dialogue between the Texans and Jimmy Sexton, Trotter's agent, but he might prove too expensive for the Texans, who have roughly $10 million remaining under the salary cap, $7 million of which will be spent on draftees.

That leaves the Texans with about $3 million and more than a few needs to address. They have 74 players on the roster and can take 95 to training camp, 13 of which will be draft picks.

The Texans held their second practice Friday at the team's new training facility, and coach Dom Capers was pleased to report no injuries after the first two sessions.

Punter Chad Stanley was one of the players who stood out Friday, and not only because he banged a few 50-yarders into the wind.

Stanley wore jersey No. 8 at Wednesday's practice, but he sported No. 7 on Friday. Carr, whom the Texans will select with the top pick in the draft, wore No. 8 in college.

"There are some rumors going around about some stud who is coming in, so I had to give up my number," Stanley joked. "I was happy to do so. I wasn't totally committed to No. 8, but I had gotten used to the thought of being No. 8. It's OK. No. 7 is the number I always wanted. I was given No. 8 randomly."

It's traditional in professional sports for a player to receive some sort of compensation for giving up his jersey number. It could range from something as simple as a case of the player's favorite beverage to cash.

"We're going to discuss that later once he gets down here," Stanley said. "I'll try to talk him out of some change."

Carr and his wife, Melody, are purchasing a home in Houston and are scheduled to arrive in town Sunday.

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I was hoping for Graham all along. He has a lot to offer as far as teaching Carr the ropes. Rob Johnson is a head case, Tony Blake is terrible, Graham was the best fit for the Texans. A guy who knows what his role will be.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I agree with Finn. He knows his role. And here in Washington he was the only QB who got the ball to Westbrook. When he has time he proved he can move the ball.

5. Old School

Old School Member

The Texans have said nothing along the lines of exactly when Carr will or won't start. It could be the first game of the season or 6 games into it.

os

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Graham stinks. I was hoping they'd bring in Blake.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Who is Tony Blake.

And Grahm does stink, but he is just the practice dummy after all. :p

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Jeff Blake...not Tony. Used to be with the Bengals. I think he was with the Saints last season.

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I meant Jeff Blake:eek: I was watching Baretta when I typed that;)

[​IMG]

Tony Blake with Fred:D

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I absolutely don't understand the facination with Jeff Blake. Granted he had alot of potential when he was younger but he has never lived up to it. Now, as an older quarterback, his numbers look average at best.

One thing about Graham:

According to John McLane, he's 'about the best guy you've ever met according to a number of people'. I think if you're looking for a caretaker until Carr is ready, and a solid tutor, that alot more than pure ability goes into the equation. I think this is probably a pretty good move.

11. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

ah yes, the Graham Reaper. . . .

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Ottoman, I don't think anyone is fascinated with Blake. He is just the best option out there right now. He is certainly not a priemere QB in the league, but he can get the job done for the short term. He led the Saints to the playoffs for the first time in a long time before he got injured and Aaron Brooks took his job. I'd definitely take him over Graham, but I'm sure Blake wanted a lot more money.

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

No doubt Blake is ten times the qb Grahm is.

Unfortunately, Blake would probly want too much $$$ and would not be content to be the starter-til-Carr-is-ready qb.

so yeah, Grahm is the better fit, but he still sucks. :)

14. edc

edc Contributing Member

Doesn't matter too much...expect Carr to be starting by the fifth game (ie: after the off-week)

15. Hottoddie

A great offensive line can make an average to below average quarterback look good. Houston has the makings of a great offensive line. A prime example is Rich Gannon. To top it off, we got him for $250,000 less than we were offering Johnson. Graham will do just fine.

Now, we need to get Greg Comella signed, pick up a starting TE, upgrade the WR through the draft, add quality depth, & find a way to sign Trotter. While I would love for this team to make the playoffs it's first year, I'd sure hate to give up all those extra draft picks for next year. Those picks could be the foundation that our future team is built upon.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just for the record, Graham did actually have a pretty good offensive line at least for a couple of years with the NYG, and didn't do too much with it.

#1. Is the Comella thing actually a real possibility? I hadn't heard about him in relation to the Texans, but I've not been paying much attention lately.

#2. Who's left at TE? Is Stephen Alexander still there? IMO, he has the best credentials of the people that I knew were there, since someone signed Freddy Jones. Who else could be there, if you happen to know? (anyone)

17. Hottoddie

I didn't know that.

I know that he visited the Texans on March 21, but I haven't heard anything in regards to him & the Texans since. He's visited Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Denver, & Tennessee since then, as well. The Giants haven't made him an offer yet, either. So, who knows, it's possible.

Alexander signed with San Diego. There aren't any big names left, with the exception of Shannon Sharpe, but he's too old. The Texans have brought in several young players & have a couple more scheduled to come in. There is one restricted free agent available, but he'll cost us a 3rd round pick & I doubt they'll do that. He's Dan Campbell from the Giants. Here's his stats & bio:

http://www.nfl.com/players/133244.htm

18. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

Graham is one of the team's best pick ups!! i lived in dc and wathced him get limited playing time but the time that he played, he was smart and did not try and force anything..he picked up shottenhemier's complicated offense 3 times as fast as TOny Banks only proving he brings alot of football smarts to the table..