1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Bill O'Brien to 4-year extension

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2018.

?

Do you like the contract extension for Bill O'Brien?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2018.
  1. Yes

29.0%
  2. No

38.0%
  3. Who cares, as long as Bob & Cal are around.

10.0%
  4. Abstain

5.0%
  5. Doesn't matter Brian!

18.0%
  1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This argument needs to die already. Losses at home to the Jags and Chiefs, and close losses on the road against NE and Seattle. Schedule wise, it can’t get much tougher than that. Not to mention that Watt, Mercilus, and Covington all went down against Seattle. Context is important and the team was obviously trending upward in a major way before Watson went down. And just in time for a more palatable schedule.

TheFreak and texian like this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So you want me to give him credit for having a defense last year? Not sure what you're arguing here. He did, and now he let it go to crap.

3. Mr. Clutch

I don't think he should get an extension for moral victories

The Texans were supposed to contend

roxallways likes this.
  4. showa13

showa13 Member

Wait are we blaming BOB for the defense?

TheFreak likes this.
  5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I don't blame Bob for giving him the extension after Bob said the things he said in that meeting. Thr players are behind Bill O'Brien and most importantly so is Deshaun Watson.

Granted i hated how conservative O'Brien was with Watson in a couple of close losses to elite teams. I know O'Brien can be better and i believe he will with Watson. O'Brien will demand more from the players as well as himself/coaching staff.

Saying all that i give him one more year to show something.

red5rocket and texian like this.
  6. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Huh? First of all seems like you didn't watch much this season or have a poor memory. Watt and Mercilus were hurt against KC. Before KC the when everyone was pretty much healthy this defense was pathetic against a half way decent offense/QB. Just more excuses from a dumb down fan base.

7. HR Dept

It’s not about moral victories. Its about not just not drawing conclusions without considering the how and why. There definetly are reasons to disagree with OB’s contract extension. But the team’s record while Watson was healthy is not one of them.

texian likes this.
  8. HR Dept

You’re correct, it was KC. But my point stands. Extremely tough schedule while suffering key injuries. That’s not a reason to let OB go. There may be reasons, but that is not one of them.

texian likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tell me how the defense went from one of the best, to one of the worst in just one year... simply due to bad GM'ing... and tell me again why BOB is only responsible for when things are bad, but when something goes well... "That was going to happen anyways, despite him!"

Again, its clear that even you don't believe half the stuff you're saying. At this point, you're going out of your way to make this team look terrible.

red5rocket, texian and Two Sandwiches like this.
  10. Mr. Clutch

For the millionth time, I give credit to O'Brien for the roster, good or bad.

It's mostly bad.

He started with a top 10 ol. Now it's dead last.

He inherited a top 10 defense. Now it's bottom 10.

This isn't difficult

11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I'M DISGUSTED. :mad:

Texans have settled for MEDIOCRITY when greatness was within reach with Watson.

Did you not watch the Chiefs collapse and the blunders of Andy Reid? That's the full potential of Bill O'Brien -- a bumbling Andy Reid who will cost you games with poor clock management and sheer stupidity at the end of games.

Have we forgotten the losses to the Patriots and the Seahawks? The blunders in the 4th quarter? Running Lamar Miller inside on consecutive plays for no gains?

That is the future the Texans have resigned themselves to... MEDIOCRITY.

12. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

Wow very delusional.

Inherited and started with top 10? The team was 2-14. He inherited that. Like are you even thinking about what you’re saying?

13. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

Sure. Now Rick Smith is *basically* fired

14. texian

texian Member

15. Mr. Clutch

Yes, his first year the OL and defense were top 10 with very little roster change.

That's just a fact.

He has dismantled both.

16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I picked “Doesn’t Matter Brian!” just because it was an option.

But I’m full on with O’Brien. He & Deshaun were fantastic together. Easily could be top 3 offense in the league next season. If game management can be fixed by BOB then we can go a long way even with a middle of the pack defense.

Whether it was Rick or BOBs fault with the roster we will never know. Maybe both were bad but now we will see how what we have works with everyone being on the same page.

Hopefully everyone comes back fully healthy and in shape.

TheFreak likes this.
  17. showa13

showa13 Member

The OLine and defense didn’t play like top 10 units the year before BOB got here, hence the 2-14 record. I put the lack of resigning guys on Smith. Not arguing for BOB but let’s not try to change history to match a point you’re trying to make.

TheFreak likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Rick and Bob worked together on the roster. Saying it's all Rick is false

19. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

If BoB and Gaine bring in 4 good new o linemen, new good corners and new good safeties, I’ll be happily waving the flag of support for them. Until then....I’m skeptical.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  20. 1234567

1234567 Member

Fans are fans

Blame this on DB

He was the best OL T they had but he didn't want to play with the team anymore.

This is injury to Newton and Martin and bam, crap line