1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Selected for Hard Knocks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by HR Dept, May 27, 2015.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yes, everybody loves Watt, especially the women. What's weird is a lot of guys would glady let JJ Watt plow their sister/daughter/wives. All because hes so awesome at football lol

2. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

When you speak about the 37-27 record, talk about how crap the AFC South is too. The Texans didn't do anything remotely close to special.

Also, enjoy your celebration of winning playoff games against a team that can't even win them at HOME.

Kubiak didn't win squat until Wade, and didn't do much after getting him.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ah yes, the ol' "wins don't count unless they're against great playoff teams" qualifier. It's a Clutchfans staple.

It must be getting close to football season around here!

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

"They better focus a large portion of it on AJ in Indy."

- half this BBS

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Colts went 37-27 over the same stretch.

I get it... you've backed yourself into a corner and your only way out is to retroactively move the goal posts. But, just so we're all clear, here's what you initially said:
    So what you REALLY meant was "special" winning, huh? Whatever that means. Just admit that you're still upset about the Kubiak era, that it blinds you to even a hint of rational thought, and, as a result, you said something stupid so we can all move on.

Huh?......

I posted this earlier, I'll post it again: you should honestly consider doing something besides watching football on Sundays. You're either the most entitled fan I've ever had the misfortune to stumble across, or you're simply not very smart when it comes to football. Dismissing playoff wins is about the silliest thing I've ever read on this forum.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Don't be naive for the sake of argument. It's obvious the Texans had a winning record for a short stretch... and it's obvious they won 2 playoff games.

BUT

If a squad wins a couple of (wild card) games in 4 years... I don't consider it winning.

Did they technically "win" some games? Sure, but a couple of 1st round wins does not mean you're "winning" nor does it equal a winning organization. The standard isn't "SB or bust" either. Just do better than capitalizing off a neck injury, in a bad division, and beating weak playoffs opponents.

Am I glad it happened? Sure.... it's better than nothing.

Was the fun while it lasted? Of course.

#88 Houstunna, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This team has been in existence for a brain-fart... you're basically disappointed with their short term results that post-expansion adjustment time, hold up with the success most NFL cities outside of Boston and Indy get exposed to.

You say its not "SB or bust"... and yet your complaints are only valid if that is the standard.

And if not, you're basically arguing the Texans to be more Bengals-like... even though most Bengals fans would say the Texans have been the more accomplished franchise with those playoff wins, vs. a franchise that makes the playoffs every year but hasn't won a single game.

10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

First of all (Barkley voice).... you are agreeing the Texans didn't "win". ;)
    You're just saying the newness of the franchise is to blame, not necessarily Kubiak.

Secondly, it doesn't have to be "Super Bowl or bust".
    There is middle ground between what Houston did vs being a champion.
    1) There's an entire round of playoffs in between
    2) Beat a better opponent if you do only play the Wild Card game
    3) play in a better division and win it

Granted, Texans can only play who's on the schedule. But that weak schedule contributes to my reasoning Kubiak didn't "win".

Also, it's questionable whether CIN would trade 2 playoff wins vs making the playoffs every year and losing. They'd also have to accept 6-10 and 2-14.

Texans' future is very bright though.
    Appears we finally have a real coach.

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

MD Anderson (the man) was a cotton trader from Tennessee.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No, I'm saying that if your standard for enjoying a team is that they need to make it to the conference championship every year, regardless of the circumstances surrounding the team, then you might as well be a front-runner and simply root for "whoever is expected to win" every year.

So, it merely has to be conference championship or bust... or play in a better division (no control over that), or play a better opponent in the playoffs (no control over that).

So, you should probably now change your rooting interest to the best team in the best division... thus that should hopefully meet your criteria of "success".

Marvin Lewis has had losing seasons... he's had a very Kubiak-like run in Cincy without the burden of taking over a worse-than-expansion team, and without any playoff wins.

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

The conversation is about standard for "winning"... not enjoyment. In fact, the end of post #88 stated...

I don't expect any team to ball hard every year... nor do I think a team must do well every year to be considered a winning organization.

I don't even wear other teams merchandise, much less switch squads because they might be out-playing my squad.

I laugh at dudes who justify wearing other teams' merchandise with statements like...
    "My girlfriend bought it for me".... okay, then tell your gf to buy something else.
    "I like the colors".... okay, then go to Lids and find your team in that color.

Hopefully that explains my position

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

When do they start filming and when do they start airing episodes?

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

tomorrow

16. alecletu

alecletu New Member

very interesting!