1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans select Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 29, 2017.

?

What do you think?

1. Like it?

39 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Love it?

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Hate it?

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Buck Turgidson

If I cared enough to care, you would be correct.

I just meant he's a project/depth guy, right? I don't know much about these late round guys.

Jatman20 likes this.
  2. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I did a thread: "My Final Mock Draft......". You can see it in the thread I picked Julie'n Davenport in the 3rd
    round. It hasn't been edited. I'm saying he is not ready to start at OT.....but can easily play Guard immediately
    if need be this 1st year.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

So you like the pick? Or no? I'm confused

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Fair enough. Yes at this point we can expect him to be a project/depth guy. He has the body type and strength, just needs to be more polished. Needs good coaching.

Jatman20 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Here he is vs Bucknell.

I will let you be the judge. He does well......and not so well. He looks to me susceptible to inside moves
    and/or spins towards the inside. At 32 secs and at 1 min you can see if it was a pro team he would
    have had trouble. In the NFL you have Von Miller on the right attacking. Nowadays teams are shifting quick
    edge rusher to the right side for mismatches on slower OT's. Vic Beasley, Chandler Jones, Khalil Mack,
    Bosa, Dunlap, Nick Perry, Clay Matthews, etc. Like a 3rd baseman who has an injured arm....the ball
    finds them.....so does a not so ready OT; a good defensive coordinator will find them.

Again you be the judge. I stopped watching after 4 mins when he ended up on the other side of the field.
    They bull rushed him back into the runner 2 plays in a row.

6. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Yes, I think we have a bit of miscommunication going on.

Like the pick but it comes with risk. If the idea is to play him right away at OT (right or left) then I dislike the pick.
    *What's to like? Mancz was rated high by PFF last year. Martin gets the job at Center since he looked like the best
    O-lineman before he got hurt.

*Jeff Allen is getting $6+ mil this year and continues for several years. Story I heard is Allen came in over weight
    last year and sustained nagging injuries that were not worth reporting. Either groin, hamstring or core section;
    (Core) abs, back, or something like sports hernia was suggested. Hopefully he comes back fit. If not I expect
    *Mancz to take over. Clark gets the job at RT with Lamm pushing him hard for his job.
    *Su'a Filo played well at the end of the season.
    *Duane Brown is starting to need help with chip blocking more often.
    If nothing else Davenport can help back up Su'a Filo or Allen/Mancz at RT Guard (this is the *like; & maybe future OT).

Because of the risks of Davenport and the others having risks......that's why I say it was a troubling draft for me.
    Sam Montgomery had risks, both Williams kids had risks, etc. I still hope the Texans can bring in Clady or Vollmer
    after May 9th date. Even though they had injuries....they should be ok on the right side. Pasztor was a former
    Guard that the Browns played at Right Tackle last year. He did an adequate job and is a free agent that probably
    could beat out Clark for the RT Tackle position.

#26 Jatman20, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    BigM and Tha_Dude like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

See...now I like him. This is why I rely on you guys.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

^^^^ Very well read, and I completely agree with that article. But he can improve, it all depends on him if he wants to play in the league. If he works hard and plays hard, I can see him becoming a player in the NFL.

zeeshan2 likes this.
  10. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member